No announcement yet.

2015 Closers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody think the fact that Axford's dealing with some stuff will tilt things in Betancourt's favor assuming Ottavino gets passed over?

Comment

I can picture the Rockies announcing a switch to Betancourt with the comment, "We needed to get younger at the closer slot."

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Anybody think the fact that Axford's dealing with some stuff will tilt things in Betancourt's favor assuming Ottavino gets passed over?
        I'm not sure why anyone would expect Ottavino to be passed over. If he is (and I think that is a remote possibility), I think Betancourt is a good stab because he has closer experience (as does Axford) but I think the next in line would be Logan, based on Weiss statements from a while ago.

I'm fully invested in Ottavino, as I own him in all five of my leagues (for $3, $1, $1, $5 and $10) so take anything I say on the subject with a grain of salt.

Comment

I grabbed Ottavino in my AFA league late last week then dropped him for Greene, figuring I could grab him again if he had a shot to close. Ottavino isn't even a FA again until tomorrow and I doubt he clears waivers. :P

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I think it might've been our own Moonlight J who said in a podcast that it makes more sense for the Rockies to inflate the price of someone like Betancourt or Axford to build trade value at the deadline. They've started hot but the odds of them remaining contenders is still pretty low.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              I think it might've been our own Moonlight J who said in a podcast that it makes more sense for the Rockies to inflate the price of someone like Betancourt or Axford to build trade value at the deadline. They've started hot but the odds of them remaining contenders is still pretty low.
              Yeah, because starting the season off 6-2 is a reason to start tanking games. If teams really thought like this, they'd never contend.

Either way, we had no shot of seeing anyone but Betancourt out there to night since the other option threw the last two days.

Comment

I picked up Betancourt. Am hoping he pans out. Would like to flip him for some help at SP or MI.

Comment

Betances in...7th inning and has no fastball command at all

and the cure is Chris "wind farm" Davis

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      double post
                      Never heard of him. Who's he play for?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        after flirting with Ottavino at 10 a couple of weeks ago, I tossed him back. he lasted all the way til endgame, and I was in dollar days. finally nominated him - and my archrival won the bidding at 2. potentially brutal outcome. I did take away his beloved Ryu for 10 after he max-bidded to 9, so there's that.

Go Ax! Go Raffy!
                        Hard to believe you have an arch rival, JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Never heard of him. Who's he play for?
                          The Otter Bashers of the Canadian League

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                            Yeah, because starting the season off 6-2 is a reason to start tanking games. If teams really thought like this, they'd never contend.
                            Haha. Exactly. They may think about this sort of thing when the season is out of hand, but by replacing Hawkins in the first place, they are clearly trying to win now.

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                            Either way, we had no shot of seeing anyone but Betancourt out there to night since the other option threw the last two days.
                            The next save opportunity will tell us a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              The next save opportunity will tell us a lot.
                              the first one is the most important. I think if both were available and I could only grab one, I'd lean to Betancourt.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                the first one is the most important. I think if both were available and I could only grab one, I'd lean to Betancourt.
                                wait till you see what they do once Ax is back, bentancourt may indeed be the guy, but I got a feeling about Ax.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X