2015 Closers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    the first one is the most important. I think if both were available and I could only grab one, I'd lean to Betancourt.
    Sorta. Axford and Ottavino were unavailable. I think all Betancourt's save teaches us is that he's ahead of Boone Logan. I'm hoping for Ottavino, but I really don't know how this is going to play out. I can't see Axford being successful in Coors, as he's been a gascan in more forgiving environs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      Sorta. Axford and Ottavino were unavailable. I think all Betancourt's save teaches us is that he's ahead of Boone Logan. I'm hoping for Ottavino, but I really don't know how this is going to play out. I can't see Axford being successful in Coors, as he's been a gascan in more forgiving environs.
      I also don't believe Axford is going to be the guy. They might try him, but I'd guess a pretty high chance he blows up. He was good 2010-11, but since he was horrible in Milwaukee in 2012 and lost the closing job in Cleveland last year.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

The faith in Rockies bullpen logic here restores my belief in humanity
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I picked up Betancourt in our NL-only 5x5 league. Always difficult to work out trades, but am considering trying to flip him now. What sort of return would you expect 1-for-1 now for Betancourt? Please provide an SP name or two and a hitter or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            I picked up Betancourt in our NL-only 5x5 league. Always difficult to work out trades, but am considering trying to flip him now. What sort of return would you expect 1-for-1 now for Betancourt? Please provide an SP name or two and a hitter or two.
            I can't imagine his value would really be that high, given that it is an unsettled situation. I'd think you'd stand to get more value from holding him and if he lands the gig, use him for saves yourself or trade him as a newly-minted closer. Seems like you're playing with house money at this point, you can sell it now for something little, or wait and sell it for something big. Seeing as how you are minimally invested, you have to go big.

Comment

I can't imagine his value would really be that high, given that it is an unsettled situation. I'd think you'd stand to get more value from holding him and if he lands the gig, use him for saves yourself or trade him as a newly-minted closer. Seems like you're playing with house money at this point, you can sell it now for something little, or wait and sell it for something big. Seeing as how you are minimally invested, you have to go big.
              I think that's great advice. Or try for a 2 for 1 upgrade at minimum.

Comment

So, the Rockies used Betancourt in the 8th and he gave up a run. They give the save opportunity to Ottavino and he strikes out the side for his second career save. I doubt this cements him as the Newly Minted Closer but he's probably ahead of Betancourt and Boone, and we'll see when Axford is back whether he's ahead of him as well. Tonight's showing probably helped his case considerably.

Comment

So, the Rockies used Betancourt in the 8th and he gave up a run. They give the save opportunity to Ottavino and he strikes out the side for his second career save. I doubt this cements him as the Newly Minted Closer but he's probably ahead of Betancourt and Boone, and we'll see when Axford is back whether he's ahead of him as well. Tonight's showing probably helped his case considerably.
                  Probably not, it was only against the Giants, so it's not like it was real competition. :runsaway:
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

If they go with anyone else, Walt should be fired immediately. He's been the rare reliever who can succeed in Colorado, and the track record of Axford... we know what that is.

Comment

Thomas Harding, MLB.com beat writer for the Rockies: "Putting an end to all speculation, #Rockies manager Walt Weiss informed Adam Ottavino before tonight's game that the closer role is his."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Thomas Harding, MLB.com beat writer for the Rockies: "Putting an end to all speculation, #Rockies manager Walt Weiss informed Adam Ottavino before tonight's game that the closer role is his."
                        Set in sand stone.........
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Frankly, this took a year longer than I thought it would.

Comment

ottavino with the save again last night, and looked good doing it (struck out two). the rockies announcers were all over him being the set closer...
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              ottavino with the save again last night, and looked good doing it (struck out two). the rockies announcers were all over him being the set closer...
                              The kid does have mad skills, but his park and his traditionally-lousy team make speculating on him a difficult endeavor. Trust me, I've been all over this guy since I grabbed him in all my leagues at the beginning of last year, and it has driven me nuts.

This whole situation does teach us something about Weiss. He went with the vet as long as he was effective, even though the numbers said it was smoke and mirrors. Once the vet showed his true value, he actually went with the right choice. He vacillated a little bit there, but he eventually ended up with the right guy closing games for him. A lucky accident it could be, but he did get one right and he should get credit for it.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Ottavino's stats and success are misleading. He's been pretty sheltered from left handed batters, who absolutely annihilate him. Combine that with the fact that he's a Colorado pitcher and I think folks would be well served to be cautious (or, even better, to sell high).

He's working on stuff to combat his troubles against lefties (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/adam-...h-new-weapons/) but he's also 29 years old. Old dog, new tricks, etc.
                                I was thinking the same thing, he has a career ERA of 4.06 and a WHIP of 1.41. Granted the WHIP has been trending in the right direction but that hardly screams obvious choice for closer material. He has been lights out so far this year, I'll give him that. I wanted him in my NL only but he went for $11 and I could not go that high.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X