2015 Closers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Closers Thread

We can use this thread for all things closer related if we want to. Or not. I really just wanted a place to talk about the current Yankees' closer situation.

So why is it that most people have seemed to believe that Betances was due to get the role even after the Yanks signed Andrew Miller? I guess I always figured it was 50/50 after that signing, and I also assumed that Miller would get the tough chances against lefties in the 9th anyway (so he was in line to get 8-12 saves even if he wasn't the official closer). What was the driving impetus behind people assuming Betances would inherit the closer job?

I know Betances has had some issues this Spring, especially with his velocity and location (two things you do not want to have issues with in late March when your role is being decided), so this situation is more in flux than most commenters would have believed earlier this offseason. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Bodhizefa; 03-29-2015, 05:58 AM.

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
    We can use this thread for all things closer related if we want to. Or not. I really just wanted a place to talk about the current Yankees' closer situation.

So why is it that most people have seemed to believe that Betances was due to get the role even after the Yanks signed Andrew Miller? I guess I always figured it was 50/50 after that signing, and I also assumed that Miller would get the tough chances against lefties in the 9th anyway (so he was in line to get 8-12 saves even if he wasn't the official closer). What was the driving impetus behind people assuming Betances would inherit the closer job?

I know Betances has had some issues this Spring, especially with his velocity and location (two things you do not want to have issues with in late March when your role is being decided), so this situation is more in flux than most commenters would have believed earlier this offseason. What do you guys think?

I think it best to get our closers elsewhere.

Comment

Likely residual as I had read mid-2014 that Betances was the COTF. During my prep for 2015 I read that Miller was also a candidate. Both were frozen in my AL league and someone reached for Miller in my Mixed draft.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

A.J. Hinch has announced that Gregerson is the closer.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Thoughts on how the hammy injury might impact Uehara's season? Anyone else*, I wouldn't be too worried, but the dude is 40.

* - other than Nathan
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            A.J. Hinch has announced that Gregerson is the closer.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/s...95760976822273
            Thanks buddy!
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Put Bobby Parnell on your radar. He is due back mid-April, ahead of schedule. Terry Collins thinks he fits best at closer. And his competition is Jenry Mejia, who will keep the job if he's "lights out".

I want to drop one from this group: Shark Hughes McCarthy Kazmir Cobb Strasburg Hammell Feliz Giolito K-Rod Smith Giolito

I think has to be Smith. Giolito is a late round dynasty keeper. I am waffling on pulling the trigger by Sunday so it doesn't cost me 1 of 25 moves. Is that fair, or am I overspeculating?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                So why is it that most people have seemed to believe that Betances was due to get the role even after the Yanks signed Andrew Miller?
                Might have been the 13+ ks/9. Or the 7+k:BB rate. Or the sub 0.80 WHIP, which is well supported by skills shown last year. Or that he pitched setup incredibly well in New York, a location that has eaten up other pitchers. And it might have been my bias against Andrew Miller, who breaks like glass every time he's on my fantasy team, the bastage. All of that might have factored into my assumption. I'm sure I discounted my distaste for that piece of dung Miller, too.

Nah, I'm not bitter.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  Put Bobby Parnell on your radar. He is due back mid-April, ahead of schedule. Terry Collins thinks he fits best at closer. And his competition is Jenry Mejia, who will keep the job if he's "lights out".
                  Good enough for me. In one of my leagues, closers are gold, so thanks for the heads-up!

I'd cut Smith, and I'd do it before Sunday.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

How do you guys rank these speculative closer candidates?

Jeurys Familia
                    Bobby Parnell
                    Evan Marshall
                    Adam Ottavino
                    Jumbo Diaz
                    Kevin Quackenbush
                    Neil Ramirez
                    Pedro Strop

Comment

Otto
                      Parnell
                      Marshall
                      ------
                      Quack
                      Strop

Is Diaz really the backup? I'm really not sure. Familia is behind Parnell/Mejia and Ramirez is behind Strop/Motte.

Comment

Ottavino
                        Marshall
                        Parnell
                        Quackenbush
                        Strop
                        Familia
                        Ramirez
                        Diaz

Comment

deep sleeper...how bout Betancourt?

Comment

Ottavino
                            Parnell
                            Marshall
                            Quackenbush
                            Everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                              deep sleeper...how bout Betancourt?
                              Shhhhhhh, they're sleeping, don't wake them up!
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X