Jose Bautista HR Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    TORONTO -- White Sox starter John Danks took exception to Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista on Sunday, calling the Major League leader in home runs a "clown."

Danks made the comments in response to an incident in the fourth inning of Toronto's 13-4 victory when Bautista popped up a 3-2 pitch from Danks for the second out of the inning.

Bautista tossed his bat and appeared frustrated with himself as he jogged toward first base before the ball was caught.

The two players had words with each other as Bautista headed back to the dugout.

"I just told him to run the bases. He was out there acting like a clown," Danks said after the game. "He's had a great year and a half -- no doubt. He's one of the best players in the league. But he's out there acting like he's Babe Ruth or something."

"Just the way he was acting. He ran halfway down the line and stopped and spiked his bat. I get it. He's upset at himself," Danks continued. "He's a good hitter, he's had a great couple years. But he isn't that good to be acting like he needs to hit every ball out of the ballpark."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    As a Danks owner, I take exception to his pitching so far this season.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

TORONTO -- White Sox starter John Danks took exception to Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista on Sunday, calling the Major League leader in home runs a "clown."
      With Danks' numbers this year, he should keep his mouth shut.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        This literally is the most amazing transformation in the history of baseball.
        A good comp for him doesn't even play the same sport. How about Brandon Lloyd of the Broncos? He was a journeyman scrub WR for 7 years, played for four teams, and suddenly at the age of 29 leads the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448. His stats last season were double what he did the last four years combined.

Comment

A good comp for him doesn't even play the same sport. How about Brandon Lloyd of the Broncos? He was a journeyman scrub WR for 7 years, played for four teams, and suddenly at the age of 29 leads the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448. His stats last season were double what he did the last four years combined.
          good comp but football has a lot to do with scheme where baseball is 'do it all by yourself'.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• non keeper yahoo league
            thinking of shopping baustista (thinking of it)
            was offered hart and lilly - um NO
            but would countering for granderson and verlander worK? - except that 360 avg is impossible to balance

Comment

• The power is back. 3 HR in his last 6 games.

Also, he's playing 3B again! Hopefully he gets 20 games before Lawrie is ready.

3B-eligible Bautista is miles ahead of the pack there.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• An owner in my 16 teamer traded Bautista for Kershaw/McGehee , for point of reference.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Damn, I was hoping that his mediocrity for the last month or so had put this thread to bed. How come nobody posted when he had one HR in about 100 ab's?

He's showing that he's a very good player, but now that pitchers are learning to pitch to him, or stay away from him, he's able to be dealt with. The recent HR's have all come against NL pitchers, who may not have as complete a book on him as the AL now does.

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  An owner in my 16 teamer traded Bautista for Kershaw/McGehee , for point of reference.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Damn, I was hoping that his mediocrity for the last month or so had put this thread to bed. How come nobody posted when he had one HR in about 100 ab's?

He's showing that he's a very good player, but now that pitchers are learning to pitch to him, or stay away from him, he's able to be dealt with. The recent HR's have all come against NL pitchers, who may not have as complete a book on him as the AL now does.
                    Only 4 hrs in June. Still 2 games to go.

I do not know if the pitchers have him figured out or not, he still has a .328 ba.

Comment

• nobody's figured anything out. He couldnt stay on the pace he was on all year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        nobody's figured anything out. He couldnt stay on the pace he was on all year.
                        Yeah, I guess the batting average dropping 40 points and the power tailing off to normal Bautista levels was just a fluke, right?

So is he a .300+ hitter with 50 HR power, or a .275 hitter with 35 HR power?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, I guess the batting average dropping 40 points and the power tailing off to normal Bautista levels was just a fluke, right?

So is he a .300+ hitter with 50 HR power, or a .275 hitter with 35 HR power?
                          please stop. every time this guy doesnt hit for a few weeks, its market correction because he doesnt have the pedigree.

Bautista is a top 5 hitter in the majors. He is at or near the top in most major categories and he will clearly exceed .300 BA and 35 HRs. Do what you will with those studly numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            please stop. every time this guy doesnt hit for a few weeks, its market correction because he doesnt have the pedigree.

Bautista is a top 5 hitter in the majors. He is at or near the top in most major categories and he will clearly exceed .300 BA and 35 HRs. Do what you will with those studly numbers.
                            Sorry Pete, I'll remain skeptical of any player who barely hangs on for 6 major league seasons, and then suddenly explodes and becomes the most feared hitter in the game.

I think the fact that he's down 50 points in both average and OBP since his high point illustrate that pitchers have learned how to pitch to him. As is the fact that he's got 8 HR's in that same month and a half period...A very good, but not great player when all is said and done.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Sorry Pete, I'll remain skeptical of any player who barely hangs on for 6 major league seasons, and then suddenly explodes and becomes the most feared hitter in the game.

I think the fact that he's down 50 points in both average and OBP since his high point illustrate that pitchers have learned how to pitch to him. As is the fact that he's got 8 HR's in that same month and a half period...A very good, but not great player when all is said and done.
                              I think that anybody who goes .290/.413/.450 when he's ice cold is a very good hitter. Those are his numbers over the last 28 games, since his power outage started.

I've watched about half of those 28 games, and his swing has looked really messed up, but he still managed to hit for numbers that most hitters would be very happy with. Now that he's got the power stroke coming back, he should easily top 40 HR, and I wouldn't be surprise to see another 50 HR season.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• The thing that Bautista had going for him entering this season is that he UNDERachieved in AVG last year, based on his peripherals. So that suggested he'd get his AVG up - and through the first 2 months, amazingly, his high AVG was legit. He was hitting THAT well.

That said, the .290 AVG in the last 31 days is also a .252 xBA, so this time he's flipped it around.
                                He's hitting more grounders, fewer flies, walking less, and striking out more.

These numbers were far worse until the past week, when he's had a surge again, so hard to say if the 'slump' will continue.

Still looks like he MIGHT hit .300 for the rest of the year, which is remarkable.

I think he'll be streaky - if he gets in another 20-day funk, I'd be alarmed. But somehow, most of what we see here is pretty legit, I think.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X