No announcement yet.

Jose Bautista HR Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Shawn Dunston and Sammy Sosa would swing at low outside pitches...sometime so low they were even in the dirt. Of course they rarely ever hit one of them. They would make up for it with giant tomahawk swings at pitches that were above their heads. Ah good times.

Comment

Jose is on the verge of being a top 25 fantasy pick in 2k12.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Dave Cameron discussing whether Bautista might be the best hitter in the AL: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ter-in-the-al/

If he keeps this pace up for a few more weeks even I will have to admit that I've been wrong. Not yet, though.
        Let's have him actually hit more than .260 for a whole season before we annoint him the best hitter in the AL, 'K?
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Fangraphs doesn't bother with wussy kid stats like batting average.
          Ohhhhhh, is he the best WAR player ever?
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

just traded Bautista and Smoak for Teix in a keeper league (no salaries?.

me likey likey
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Let's have him actually hit more than .260 for a whole season before we annoint him the best hitter in the AL, 'K?
              Through 22 games he's walked 21 times. If he continues to walk that much, it's going to be hard for him to hit less than .260 again.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I want whatever Jose is on. That HR tonight was crushed.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I can't think of a late bloomer quite like Bautista. Last year was clearly not a fluke. Has there ever been a bench level talent turn into an elite, top tier hitter after years of mediocrity before? I'm sure there has been, but I can't think of anyone going from so rags to so riches in such a short time before. David Ortiz comes to mind as a late bloomer, but he was good before he was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Through 22 games he's walked 21 times. If he continues to walk that much, it's going to be hard for him to hit less than .260 again.
                    Not 22 games, 19.

Bau-Wow missed 3 games early in the season for the birth of his daughter.

So, for those scoring at home, that's 21 walks and 8 HR in 19 games. AND, only 15 K's.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I can't think of a late bloomer quite like Bautista. Last year was clearly not a fluke. Has there ever been a bench level talent turn into an elite, top tier hitter after years of mediocrity before? I'm sure there has been, but I can't think of anyone going from so rags to so riches in such a short time before. David Ortiz comes to mind as a late bloomer, but he was good before he was great.
                      Especially such a complete non-prospect as well. Bautista was a 20th round pick, but was also such a nobody that he tied Dave Kingman's illustrious record of playing for FOUR teams in one season (2004: BAL, KC, TB, PIT).

I don't care what anyone says --- Teenwolf or anyone -- NOBODY had ANY expectations for Bautista heading into 2010. TW jumped on his bandwagon early, I give him credit there, but anyone would do that when someone's breaking out for their own team. I respect the opinions when a homer calls it before anyone else even has a clue (the old Marques Colston thread is point given), but just jumping on a bandwagon early doesn't really do it for me. Sorry GITH, but Everth Cabrera??

That said, having watched Bautista's every HR this season and many other ABs on MLB Network, he's the real deal, no question. Next year, he's 1st round fantasy talent. No way I'm betting against less than 40 HRs at this stage. Kudos to Bautista on reviving a dead career; Anthopolous for having the faith to sign him to a big contract; and Jays fans who have a stud on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        just traded Bautista and Smoak for Teix in a keeper league (no salaries?.

me likey likey
                        I wouldn't have made that deal. I do hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Especially such a complete non-prospect as well. Bautista was a 20th round pick, but was also such a nobody that he tied Dave Kingman's illustrious record of playing for FOUR teams in one season (2004: BAL, KC, TB, PIT).

I don't care what anyone says --- Teenwolf or anyone -- NOBODY had ANY expectations for Bautista heading into 2010. TW jumped on his bandwagon early, I give him credit there, but anyone would do that when someone's breaking out for their own team. I respect the opinions when a homer calls it before anyone else even has a clue (the old Marques Colston thread is point given), but just jumping on a bandwagon early doesn't really do it for me. Sorry GITH, but Everth Cabrera??

That said, having watched Bautista's every HR this season and many other ABs on MLB Network, he's the real deal, no question. Next year, he's 1st round fantasy talent. No way I'm betting against less than 40 HRs at this stage. Kudos to Bautista on reviving a dead career; Anthopolous for having the faith to sign him to a big contract; and Jays fans who have a stud on their hands.
                          I can honestly tell you when I targeted him for my end game play two years ago, I fully expected him to earn a profit on the four dollars I spent on him. Anything over $6 is pure gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            I want whatever Jose is on. That HR tonight was crushed.
                            I am glad his slump is over.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

In fairness to Teenwolf, his power breakout started in September 2009.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

"he tied Dave Kingman's illustrious record of playing for FOUR teams in one season (2004: BAL, KC, TB, PIT)."

but only Kingman touched 'em all - all four divisions in the same year, and HRd in every stop iirc
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X