Jose Bautista HR Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    It's totally unprecedented, as far as I can tell.
    The incompetence of the Pirates' coaching staff for most of Bautista's career?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Not 22 games, 19.

Bau-Wow missed 3 games early in the season for the birth of his daughter.

So, for those scoring at home, that's 21 walks and 8 HR in 19 games. AND, only 15 K's.
      How many of the walks were intentional or (for those following the games) clear pitch arounds? In other words, is he getting more selective, or are opposing teams just becoming sufficiently afraid of his power so as to regularly pitch around him?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I wouldn't have made that deal. I do hope it works out for you.
        really? Smoak was a throw in for me (14 team league) and Tex is a top 10-15 pick a month ago? Has Bautista become more valuable in your eyes?
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

considering position eligibility (Bautista at 3B, Tex at 1B), I'm not sure I would have done it either; straight up I think Tex will be worth more at the season end, but there aren't a lot of quality 3B out there, at least in the AL.

That article someone posted about Bautista's prep before each game in reviewing the past 4 starts of the opposing pitcher really came to mind over the weekend watching him hit 2 HRs against David Price ... it was as though he knew exactly what Price was about to do.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            really? Smoak was a throw in for me (14 team league) and Tex is a top 10-15 pick a month ago? Has Bautista become more valuable in your eyes?
            But based on pure stats, wasn't Bautista more valuable than Tex all last season? And if the only reason Bats was lesser regarded in March, it was because of doubts about a potential repeat. Do you still have doubts?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I think Smoak is too much to "throw in." A once prized prospect is coming into his own at 25 years old. Add that to the decline in BA of Tex last year and the possiblility of Bautista equaling or beating him in hrs adds up to me not liking the deal so much.

Now for the disclaimer; I have to admit that when I typed this I didn't remember Tex runs and BA to be quite as good as they are. If you can afford Smoak for consistancy and remove the gamble of Bautista repeating last year I can see why you would do this. While I do not love this, it is not as bad as I first thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I think Smoak is too much to "throw in." A once prized prospect is coming into his own at 25 years old. Add that to the decline in BA of Tex last year and the possiblility of Bautista equaling or beating him in hrs adds up to me not liking the deal so much.

Now for the disclaimer; I have to admit that when I typed this I didn't remember Tex runs and BA to be quite as good as they are. If you can afford Smoak for consistancy and remove the gamble of Bautista repeating last year I can see why you would do this. While I do not love this, it is not as bad as I first thought.
                understood. Its a 14 team keeper where you keep 9 guys, no salaries so I know Smoak wouldnt be considered a keeper. I have the under achieivng Loney and D Lee to man CI without Smoak. Could hurt me but I gotta think by years end, one of those 2 stiffs are as good as Smoak.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I grabbed Bautista in a 2009 dynasty league with the hope that he would be able to contribute a good number of runs, fully accepting that the rest of his stats would be similar to his career stats. Just prior to the 2010 season, the Blue Jays announced that he would be the lead-off hitter and Marco Scutaro 2009 came to mind. A guy who had never had much success gets put in the lead-off slot and scores 100+ runs just due to his batting order slot.

Now, if someone had told me that Bautista would hit 25+, 35+ or even 45+ HRs, I would've said no chance. Me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    How many of the walks were intentional or (for those following the games) clear pitch arounds? In other words, is he getting more selective, or are opposing teams just becoming sufficiently afraid of his power so as to regularly pitch around him?
                    None of them have been intentional this year. Last year only 2 of his 100 walks were intentional. He still seems to be a fairly aggressive hitter, but he doesn't whiff on pitches in the zone like he used to. Also, I believe that pitchers are pitching around him a lot more than they did a year ago, though I haven't looked at it in detail.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      None of them have been intentional this year. Last year only 2 of his 100 walks were intentional. He still seems to be a fairly aggressive hitter, but he doesn't whiff on pitches in the zone like he used to. Also, I believe that pitchers are pitching around him a lot more than they did a year ago, though I haven't looked at it in detail.
                      Here's a nice little article that details how Bautista is being pitched around.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/4/19/21...onto-blue-jays

The thing is, he seems to be getting even better at working the count into his favour, then wailing on those juicy 2-0 or 3-1 pitches. So even though he's getting less total strikes, he's still crushing the ones he sees because he's doing a great job of getting ahead in the count.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

1-3 2BB 2R - keeps on trucking. The one hit was a double.

Lind had two homers behind him tonight.

Comment

Everyone should be on this bandwagon.

Bautista is the best story in baseball since...well, for a long time.

Definition of a Cinderella story. There will be a movie about him soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sgs View Post
                            1-3 2BB 2R - keeps on trucking. The one hit was a double.

Lind had two homers behind him tonight.
                            This is of great importance....if they try to pitch around him and Lind keeps crushing the ball....it's going to be great for all involved!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Everyone should be on this bandwagon.

Bautista is the best story in baseball since...well, for a long time.

Definition of a Cinderella story. There will be a movie about him soon enough.

Can the title be: "Multi-Millionaire Ballplayer Finally Earns his Money"?

Let's not forget Bautista made $7m up to and before his breakout season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Let's not forget Bautista made $7m up to and before his breakout season.
                                A steal for the Jays

Comment

Working...
                                X