No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was actually beginning to wonder if London Calling was going to slide all the way down to me.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      I was actually beginning to wonder if London Calling was going to slide all the way down to me.
      I didn't want that decision ... but I suspected that Friarfan wouldn't let it slip.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        actually there will be at least one Joni Mitchell picked
        yeah, but FF......in round 1??
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Much has been made of Floyd's dysfunction from the 1977 tour through the mid-80s schism and legal battles, but it really started with the sessions for Wish. They went into the studio and had nothing. Even went so far as to try to record an album using non-instruments (that lasted about a month before being abandoned). But they rallied and came up with their most emotionally resonant material -- two songs about their tragic founder and two about the record industry that they hated so much, and built upon the sonic innovations that they had achieved with Dark Side. Like Let It Be, it's really remarkable that something of that caliber was produced from such chaos.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Yeah, I'm breathlessly waiting to see if Johnny f*cks me over...
            And me waiting on you to do the same... I still can get my #3 album at #11 if you don't hose me. No way Swampy's going there at #10.

I thought 'Wish You Were Here' might fall to me, but no.

And that 8-bit Floyd is GREAT!
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Sorry for the delay, I was actually enjoying my New Years Eve.

London Calling is one of the absolute no-brainers of the first round. Very happy to have had it slip to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                Sorry for the delay, I was actually enjoying my New Years Eve.

London Calling is one of the absolute no-brainers of the first round. Very happy to have had it slip to me.
                That was the other LP I was considering. I just happen to like Night at theOpera a little better.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Physical Graffitti....nice pick, Sheep. Not only great music, but one of the great, original album covers.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Great picks so far, all were on my radar. I especially like the Physical Graffiti tracks sheep chose to post videos of.

Comment

• Regarding a live album-- does it need to be by one artist, or could it involve several? Same goes for a soundtrack. What if you had drafted a band involved in any of these albums?

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Physical Graffitti....nice pick, Sheep. Not only great music, but one of the great, original album covers.
                        Thanks. It's a great foundational center to build out from, I think.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Great picks so far, all were on my radar. I especially like the Physical Graffiti tracks sheep chose to post videos of.
                          As you know from my first pick quandary, i think PG is one of the best of all time.

"Have a Cigar" is the highlight for me on Wish You Were Here.

"Brand New Cadillac" is my favorite from London Calling.

My favorite from Exile on Main Street is "Happy" But i like "Good Time Women" more than any of the songs that made the album proper.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I was hoping Physical would fall to me, but knowing how similar Sheep's tastes are to mine, I figured it probably wouldn't. It's 90 minutes of pure awesome.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              1.10 - Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

great harmonies - solid album start to finish
                              I gained a whole new respect for Rumours after watching its Classic Albums episode. It was fascinating to hear what was going on deep in the mixes. If you're a fan of this record, you really need to check out the Classic Albums episode on YouTube. If you're not a fan, you should still check it out - you might become one.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Rumours - Awesome pick and album. Was high on my list. Didn't think it would be top ten in this draft..what do i know?

"Second Hand News" and "Songbird" are my favorites.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X