No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I'm heading up the hill for a poker tournament today. I'm PM'ing my next pick to Johnny and Erik - if this isn't still available when my turn comes around, please skip me, and I'll catch up tonight.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I listened to Duty Now for the Future, just in case you decided to let it slide, Bucky. That way I could steal it from you...just for spite. I didn't really like it all that much.

Here's what I have to say about Kiss: I'll listen to them, grudgingly, if it means I don't need to listen to Pink Floyd or Zep.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        Hey guys, I'm heading up the hill for a poker tournament today. I'm PM'ing my next pick to Johnny and Erik - if this isn't still available when my turn comes around, please skip me, and I'll catch up tonight.
        Good luck, and may the cards be with you.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          Seriously? Johnny ex- stories are some of the best stuff posted on this site.
          +1. The last story was great. The mil-millington link even better. Might be that I can relate way too easily to them.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            The worst of the Wind and Wuthering ballads, the sappy "Your Own Special Way," was the first Genesis song written solely by Mike Rutherford. Here are the roots of "The Living Years."
            And of course i really like that song!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I made a "surprised they're still available" list earlier today ... Bridge Over Troubled Water was top. Great pick in the 5th.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                I made a "surprised they're still available" list earlier today ... Bridge Over Troubled Water was top. Great pick in the 5th.
                Funny, I was just looking over my list and realized I forgot this one and added it. Oh well!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  I made a "surprised they're still available" list earlier today ... Bridge Over Troubled Water was top. Great pick in the 5th.
                  Bonus points for it being one of my girlfriend's favorites

Comment

• I DO like the title track of Bridge Over Troubled Water; it's one of those timeless songs that still gives you chills. If the rest of the album were like that, it would probably be dull, but it's not. With "Cecelia" and "El Condor Pasa," here were the beginnings of Paul Simon's interest in exotic rhythms.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• The ONLY time The Sweeney Sisters, a mock lounge act played by Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn on late-80s SNL, was funny was when they belted "Bridge Over Troubled Water" to Paul Simon himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        I listened to Duty Now for the Future, just in case you decided to let it slide, Bucky. That way I could steal it from you...just for spite. I didn't really like it all that much.

Here's what I have to say about Kiss: I'll listen to them, grudgingly, if it means I don't need to listen to Pink Floyd or Zep.
                        I'm glad you didn't take it but bummed you don't like it. I will say it really is the album that the hardcore Devo fans love.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Machine Head was on my list but I wouldn't have taken it this round. Listened to it all the time in high school.

Comment

• I just noticed that I really like the late 70s way more; one from 76, two from 77 and two from 79. I have a few queued up from 72 and 73 and two from 75.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I had a list of 5 for my upcoming 2 picks. Bridge Over Troubled Water is the 2nd from that list to be taken. Not counting on the other 3 being there either.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                I just noticed that I really like the late 70s way more; one from 76, two from 77 and two from 79. I have a few queued up from 72 and 73 and two from 75.
                                All 4 of my picks have been 70 or 71...
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X