*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank god for punk

Last edited by johnnya24; 12-24-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

No thank you
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Every time I watch a clip from High Fidelity I feel compelled to watch it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          No thank you
          To Peter Frampton, punk music, Lisa Bonet, or High Fidelity?
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I'm not in for this one.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

If you need a drafter, I'm in for a 15-rounder. And I'm with Sheep on the live album - one per team if they want.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                To Peter Frampton, punk music, Lisa Bonet, or High Fidelity?
                I only like Lisa Bonet with chicken blood all over her
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I have no issues with a live album, one per drafter, rule.

So y'all understand, I wasn't arguing for putting the 1960s into the draft, but arguing against too long of a draft, round wise, for a single decade: the 70s. It doesn't make mathematical sense to have 20 rounds for 10 years, but 25 rounds for 20 years...no matter what you think of the music from each era.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing as Sheep yesterday as well - that live albums in the 70's were so much more important than they were in the 80s and beyond. So many classic rock radio staples are the live versions. I'd be up for a one live album per drafter idea.

Comment

I'm fine with allowing a live album...I mean, if we were really trying to be competitive, we'd have KOs
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        I'm fine with allowing a live album...I mean, if we were really trying to be competitive, we'd have KOs
                        How about 1 album per letter (A, An, The not included) and 1 artist per letter (same rules as album) and no more than 2 albums per year?

If you're not laughing or groaning, you haven't vintage drafted.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          How about 1 album per letter (A, An, The not included) and 1 artist per letter (same rules as album) and no more than 2 albums per year?

If you're not laughing or groaning, you haven't vintage drafted.
                          Sounds a bit simple ... couldn't we also add a record label requirement?

Maybe also have a points scale:

Band / Act:
                          Elite Tier: 10 points
                          Unknown: 1 point

Sales:
                          1 point for Gold
                          1 additional point for platinum
                          +1 per additional platinum ... up to a max of 10 points

Imagine the utter confusion and all the awesome arguments we'd have

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            So live album's are in ... how do we do it?

1 live record per drafter?
                            Do they have to be official live recordings? What do we do about bootlegs and such?
                            What about greatest hits compilations that are boxed up with live records?
                            Does the one album per artist rule still apply to the live recording?

Drafting:

1. Just let it ride? (pick a live record whenever)
                            2. Have a pre-draft live round?
                            3. End the draft with a final live round?

Each would have a slightly different impact.

1. If we let it ride, relatively unknown live compilations could conceivably be more valuable than classic records.
                            2. Allows live records to be drafted, but brackets them off from the rest of the draft
                            3. Similar to 2, but could slightly effect the way people draft ... especially if they know their live draft round slot (which would presumably be the reverse of the draft order).

----

If we're gonna do it, I'd personally opt for letting it ride (1), only official live releases, and still just 1 pick per artist.

Comment

jeebus, the complications! It'll be part of the regular draft, whenever you want to take it, and if it's a bootleg, that's fine because it's still live.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                jeebus, the complications! It'll be part of the regular draft, whenever you want to take it, and if it's a bootleg, that's fine because it's still live.
                                Welcome to JohnnyWorld, where every potential complication is pointed out so he can try to show us how stupid we all are thinking we should do something.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                So live album's are in ... how do we do it?

1 live record per drafter?
                                Do they have to be official live recordings? What do we do about bootlegs and such?
                                What about greatest hits compilations that are boxed up with live records?
                                Does the one album per artist rule still apply to the live recording?

Drafting:

1. Just let it ride? (pick a live record whenever)
                                2. Have a pre-draft live round?
                                3. End the draft with a final live round?

Each would have a slightly different impact.

1. If we let it ride, relatively unknown live compilations could conceivably be more valuable than classic records.
                                2. Allows live records to be drafted, but brackets them off from the rest of the draft
                                3. Similar to 2, but could slightly effect the way people draft ... especially if they know their live draft round slot (which would presumably be the reverse of the draft order).

----

If we're gonna do it, I'd personally opt for letting it ride (1), only official live releases, and still just 1 pick per artist.
                                I absolutely believe bootlegs should be out unless released by the artist or record company during the years of the draft. I don't know if that is even a possibility during the 1970s, but I guess it's possible. So I say official live recordings only.

I don't believe taking a live album should be a requirement, just an option. So #1 is the only fit for my thinking. Still only one album, live or not, per artist per drafter.

These are my feelings on the live album subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X