*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Can't believe Medusa was taken...that was to be my final round steal.

Still remember when it came out. Blew us away. I've got a funny story about owning the album on 8-track when there is more time.
    Anytime I can ace you, it's a successful draft!

I hadn't listened to Medusa for years, and then in 2009, Black Country Communion covered it on their first CD. Being the Bonamassa fan that I am, I have just about all his work, and picked up "Black Country" simply because he's the guitarist. I then find out Jason Bonham is the drummer, so much the better. So I'm listening to the CD, and ended up thinking that the lead vocalist sounds an awful lot like the Trapeze lead vocalist. So I pull out the CD notes, and see that Glenn Hughes is the lead vocalist...but it CAN'T be THAT Glenn Hughes, right? I mean, Trapeze was like 40 years earlier. Well...yes it was.

And then I put on Medusa again and realized what a great LP it was.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Here are a few I almost picked but just couldn't quite justify:

Suicide - S/T
      Nick Drake - Pink Moon
      Can - Ege Bamyasi
      Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
      The Faces - A Nod Is as Good as a Wink ... to a Blind Horse

Almost pulled the trigger on Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap as well but decided to go with Deep Purple as my last hard rock inclusion instead.
      Strongly considered The Faces and thought about Can, but I promised Dutch music, so I had to deliver.

I was also very surprised Pink Moon wasn't taken. Not my cup of tea, but it's a pretty highly regarded LP.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Anytime I can ace you, it's a successful draft!

I hadn't listened to Medusa for years, and then in 2009, Black Country Communion covered it on their first CD. Being the Bonamassa fan that I am, I have just about all his work, and picked up "Black Country" simply because he's the guitarist. I then find out Jason Bonham is the drummer, so much the better. So I'm listening to the CD, and ended up thinking that the lead vocalist sounds an awful lot like the Trapeze lead vocalist. So I pull out the CD notes, and see that Glenn Hughes is the lead vocalist...but it CAN'T be THAT Glenn Hughes, right? I mean, Trapeze was like 40 years earlier. Well...yes it was.

And then I put on Medusa again and realized what a great LP it was.
        Indeed a great LP and the inspiration for my son's nickname, which he has now abandoned.

The 70s are so huge, we could pick a hundred more good albums easily.

How about the 60s?

Ooh, how about box sets? Most of us probably have the original releases, and don't really know whether the deluxe reissues or box sets are worth the money. Example...if you love JB, and I mean are down with JB, the Star Time is worth the coin. I've got some I would highly recommend in various genres, and some upon which I would strongly recommend a pass.

The box thing might not really be a draft, just a mechanism for sharing information.

Comment

• I was thinking the other day whether 1969 was the greatest year in music or not. I had thought about making a list but I lost my will ��

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
            I was thinking the other day whether 1969 was the greatest year in music or not. I had thought about making a list but I lost my will ��
            I think you could make a very good argument for that proposition. So many great bands were at their peak, so future-greats were starting up, tons of minor artists put out their single great albums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              I think you could make a very good argument for that proposition. So many great bands were at their peak, so future-greats were starting up, tons of minor artists put out their single great albums.
              1971 is pretty awesome too, and I'd easily take 69-71 over any other 3 consecutive years.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                It would be very hard for me to get on board with that claim since two (hell, maybe even up to five) of my favorite genres weren't even around yet.

By the way, the BBC asked that same question and 1967 won. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bestyear/vote/
                67-69 would be awesome as well, 67-71 for the win in the 5-year category.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  It would be very hard for me to get on board with that claim since two (hell, maybe even up to five) of my favorite genres weren't even around yet.

By the way, the BBC asked that same question and 1967 won. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bestyear/vote/
                  They also voted 2005 #8 on the strength of...James Blunt.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I totally spaced on this one. Lucky's list of extras reminded me.

Alone Together - Dave Mason (1970)

Recorded with much of Delaney and Bonnie's backing band (some of whom would go on to Derek and the Dominos), this record mixes their upbeat blue-eyed soul with the rockier elements explored on Traffic's second album. This is by far Mason's best set of songs. It was the first thing I ever got on CD, having worn out my cassette in high school. "Only You Know and I Know" was the hit, but equally outstanding are "World in Changes," "Look at You, Look at Me" and "Shouldn't Have Took More than You Gave."

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• My record wish list has grown quite a bit because of this draft. Just picked up a copy of Brain Salad Surgery, great stuff.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        They also voted 2005 #8 on the strength of...James Blunt.
                        There goes the validity of that pool.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• 69 is probably deeper than 67 ... but I don't think there is a clear best year ever. 67-71 was pretty sick though ... like 10 years of progress crammed into 4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            There goes the validity of that pool.
                            I stopped reading after seeing "Radio 2 poll" ... especially Radio 2 in 2005.

That James Blunt record was everywhere in 2004/5. You guys got lucky it didn't have the same impact in US. You couldn't walk into a shop without hearing one of his annoying songs.

So much great music in the last 15 years, but you'd never know it looking at that list!

... and only 10 of the top 100 selling albums of the 2000's occurred in the years 2007-9

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              69 is probably deeper than 67 ... but I don't think there is a clear best year ever. 67-71 was pretty sick though ... like 10 years of progress crammed into 4 years.
                              Or 5
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                I totally spaced on this one. Lucky's list of extras reminded me.

Alone Together - Dave Mason (1970)

Recorded with much of Delaney and Bonnie's backing band (some of whom would go on to Derek and the Dominos), this record mixes their upbeat blue-eyed soul with the rockier elements explored on Traffic's second album. This is by far Mason's best set of songs. It was the first thing I ever got on CD, having worn out my cassette in high school. "Only You Know and I Know" was the hit, but equally outstanding are "World in Changes," "Look at You, Look at Me" and "Shouldn't Have Took More than You Gave."

A great album, could have easily favored this over "Dave Mason." "World in Changes and "Shouldn't Have Took More than You Gave" may be my two favorite Dave Mason songs.

Wow, the more I listen to Alone Together, the stronger it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X