No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait, that King Diamond is the guy in your avatar, right? That was pretty funny..."Grandmaaaaaaa!"

And I think we can all agree on one thing after viewing hundreds of these videos: KAPERNICK YOU SUCK.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        I've been trying to figure out what it is that I desire in music, exactly. I have completely given up, deciding that i simply like whatever sounds good to me. There is no particular beat, no technical mumbo-jumbo,...I do connect with some songs emotionally, but I like way too many songs to say it is simply that.
        For me there are many different reasons for me to like music, whether it's the technicality and/or energy of metal, the melodies of indie rock, or even the beats of hip-hop (not often though). I'm not much of a lyrics guy, but someone like Bright Eyes can hold my attention with only semi-interesting arrangements due to his brilliant lyrics. There are some pop songs that I like, but it's not a genre I can listen to for long because I'll get bored.

Basically, there isn't usually one defining trait that shapes one's musical tastes - some people have a narrower focus than others but ultimately it's hard to pigeonhole anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Heard "Middle of the Road" by the Pretenders today on the radio and thought of this draft. Man, that is one amazing song. I like a bunch of other Pretenders songs fairly well, even the super poppy ones, but that particular song just might be top 10 of all time in any genre for me. Definitely one of those "crank up the volume and sing like an idiot in your car" songs.
          Very cool tune. Killer guitar solo too! I always loved the part at 3:19-3:20 when she makes some goofy noise...
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Very cool tune. Killer guitar solo too! I always loved the part at 3:19-3:20 when she makes some goofy noise...
            And then rips a harmonica solo.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              You want to know my idea of a great romantic pop sung by a female? Here ya go:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Is that the growly, cat noise sound part? Yeah, I love that, too.
                Yep..
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                  "A first release date after 1980 or before 2000 in either the USA or UK is acceptable."

So, does that include an album that was released before 2000 in the UK, and after 1980 in the US...?
                  Either ... as long as it has a first release date that fits one of the 4 possibilities:

1. After 1980 UK
                  2. After 1980 USA
                  3, Before 2000 UK
                  4. Before 2000 USA

... oh, and you need to empty your PM's.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Either ... as long as it has a first release date that fits one of the 4 possibilities:

1. After 1980 UK
                    2. After 1980 USA
                    3, Before 2000 UK
                    4. Before 2000 USA

... oh, and you need to empty your PM's.
                    I was joking, based on one very unusual album that was released before 1980 in one and after 2000 in the other. Your logic above actually would allow every album - every US/UK release fits at least one of those four.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      I was joking, based on one very unusual album that was released before 1980 in one and after 2000 in the other. Your logic above actually would allow every album - every US/UK release fits at least one of those four.
                      That was my first thought ... then I went back over the previous 20 posts to see if you were reply to someone else ... then I analysed the rule for any obvious ambiguity or logical flaws ... in the end I decided whatever you were saying has gone right over my head

Rodriguez?

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        You want to know my idea of a great romantic pop sung by a female? Here ya go:

It's ok. Doesn't really have anything catchy for me, but I like it.

This is my favorite romantic pop from The Prentenders:

Comment

• I'll get those lists updated tonight sometime. Been really busy lately.

Comment

• Loving the Marsalis pick ... I can tolerate some fusion and free jazz, but much prefer the "traditional / classical" (?) 40's and 50's be-bop inspired stuff that Marsalis does.

EDIT: when I feel like some jazz, I'd never really think of listening to Marsalis and anyone from that generation ... I'm just more inclined to go back to the source material.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              That was my first thought ... then I went back over the previous 20 posts to see if you were reply to someone else ... then I analysed the rule for any obvious ambiguity or logical flaws ... in the end I decided whatever you were saying has gone right over my head

Rodriguez?
                              I believe that what he is saying is that Robert Johnson qualifies under rule #4 and Taylor Swift qualifies under rule #2.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                I believe that what he is saying is that Robert Johnson qualifies under rule #4 and Taylor Swift qualifies under rule #2.
                                Gotcha. Should have been "and" not "or".

Comment

Working...
                                X