*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    everyone check out this link - and scroll slowly so that you can guess before the names pop up

http://djrioblog.com/2013/11/26/new-...world-gone-by/
    Marc Almond scared the living crap out of me and I couldn't get that image out of my head...until I saw Pete Burns.

And the Go-Gos are still hot.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• A Sporcle Quiz that might be of great interest to most of you:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/citkean...out-spinal-tap

16 bands, 64 band members...can you match them up? I got 42, and I'm willing to bet no one will top me...for the worst score.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        A Sporcle Quiz that might be of great interest to most of you:

16 bands, 64 band members...can you match them up? I got 42, and I'm willing to bet no one will top me...for the worst score.
        Was on course for 100%, then it timed me out ... bitch.

Comment

• I can't really PM picks ... who else is on the west coast that's around?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pogues;166296

And the Go-Gos are still hot.[/QUOTE]

yep, I thought the same thing.....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              A Sporcle Quiz that might be of great interest to most of you:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/citkean...out-spinal-tap

perfect score..with 2:55 remaining...
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                You're not the first person I've heard/read say that they like the Beastie Boys but don't like rap music. Granted, the Beastie Boys transcend musical genres like most great artists, but I just find it odd that so many white people like the Beastie Boys while at the same time eschew rap in general. In no way am I implying you're being racist in your music tastes, but it's hard for me to see this as mere coincidence. I see a similarity with the way Living Colour never gained the popularity they deserved because they are Black, I think the Beastie Boys are more popular because they are White. There are plenty of other rap/hip-hop artists that transcend the genre, but I've met very few other white people who are fans, unless they are fans of the genre.
                Do blacks that like rap listen to the Beastie Boys? How are the Beasties viewed in the black community that listen to rap? I have no idea.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Do blacks that like rap listen to the Beastie Boys? How are the Beasties viewed in the black community that listen to rap? I have no idea.
                  VERY credible. One of few bands that are universally accepted across most all genres.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                    VERY credible. One of few bands that are universally accepted across most all genres.
                    Thanks. I sort of thought that but didn't really know.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      The singer for Lostprophets, some shitty 90s/2000s alternative band, just plead guilty to attempted rape of a baby and numerous other child sex offenses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...ef=mostpopular
                      Yeah ... that's been press fodder here for a few years now. So gross.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post

That picture of Mick Jones reminds how much he looks like the 1910 T206 Eddie Plank card:
                        Funny, I thought Mick Jones looks very Harvy Pekar-ish.

The picture of Adam Ant is very unflattering. Here's a more recent pic...

AA.jpg

This is from his most recent tour (starting in 2012). His show was AMAZING. One of the heavier shows I've seen in a while. I was very surprised. The two drummer (Burundi style) give a heavy/tribal beat that drives each song. Highly recommended.

ps. those glasses he wears are thick as coke bottles. He's basically blind.

Comment

• 15.10 No Fences, Garth Brooks (1990)

Ugh! The album that KILLED country music. All of my hop-on-the-latest-fad friends swore their allegiance to "Country" music after this came out. All friends who swore their allegiance to Metallica a year before. ALL of them now admit to being lame.

This album opened the door for the country/rock/pop crossover explosion of the 90's and carrying in to today. Watered down shite for the masses.

Sorry, Stephen, and anyone in to the Garth Brooks/Shania Twains/Rascal Flatts/etc. type "country" music that dominates music today, I don't mean to crap on your tastes, but this genre of music really steams my buns for some irrational reason.

Comment

15.10 No Fences, Garth Brooks (1990)

Ugh! The album that KILLED country music. All of my hop-on-the-latest-fad friends swore their allegiance to "Country" music after this came out. All friends who swore their allegiance to Metallica a year before. ALL of them now admit to being lame.

This album opened the door for the country/rock/pop crossover explosion of the 90's and carrying in to today. Watered down shite for the masses.

Sorry, Stephen, and anyone in to the Garth Brooks/Shania Twains/Rascal Flatts/etc. type "country" music that dominates music today, I don't mean to crap on your tastes, but this genre of music really steams my buns for some irrational reason.
                            Sounds like a perfectly rational reason to me

Comment

• I like the image of Scot waiting years for his friends to admit to being lame, breaking one at a time like some audiophile Count of Monte Cristo. That would make a great plot for the sequel to High Fidelity.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

15.10 No Fences, Garth Brooks (1990)

(moves "Come on Over" by Shania up on draft board)

While i understand your hatred for music that "waters down" any type of genre, i have never had that attitude. Music is music is music to me. I like the traditional country music but i also like that watered down crap too.

I am much less judgemental than you guys when it comes to music Not saying that is good or bad..just fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X