*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    Very shocked that it took this long for another Pearl Jam record to go. I had one of their records ranked almost as highly as Ten, which I took in the first round. Ten is their best, but it's not 15 rounds better than all of their work (any of their pre-Binaural albums, really).

Grace is a cult record in the US. "Last Goodbye" and the title track got some "modern rock" airplay and the record did well with critics, but wasn't a massive hit during Buckley's lifetime. Its stature has grown in the intervening years. I didn't own it in full until a deluxe edition came out in the mid-2000s and more of my friends were talking it up. I was heavily into hard rock and grunge in the early and mid 90s, and Grace wasn't that, so it just wasn't in my wheelhouse at the time; but now it is.
    I've got most of my "must get" records, so filling in the blanks.

PJ are pretty deep ... so I didn't mind getting one of their other 90's records (as long as I got 1 from 3).

Grace was a fairly popular record back in 1994. Everyone I knew owned it. But you're right in saying its one of those records that has gathered momentum over the years. According to Wiki it ranked 13th in Mojo's 2005 All-Time Best Albums list. It always sounds fresh ... I think that's the common quality all these slower burners seem to have..

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      On a related note, I could have sworn that I had the same experience with My Bloody Valentine, but it must have been a false memory, because when I listened to it this time, I was all over it, and can't imagine why I wouldn't have been all over it when it first came out.
      Loveless is a strange record. There are actually really beautiful melodies hidden and mishapen behind that noise assault. I think once the melodies hook into your brain, that's when the album starts to click, because then you can really start to make sense of the din. Well that was my experience. Took a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        sounds good - just make sure they are a full album of music - we are being pretty careful about finding albums that stand up start to finish
        I'll compile my list however I want thank you very much. Yes, I am trying to find full albums. With so much to choose from it's impossible not do do it that way.

So far you guys have picked 8 albums from my list of 50 albums and 2 albums from artists where I'd choose a different album.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• btw, this is the conference room outside the desk I'm working at today. note that there is no Reel Big Fish room.

IMG_20131127_122833.jpg
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Holy crap ... I was looking at the construction images and design plans for exact stadium last night.

And today ... http://www.theguardian.com/football/...l-three-killed

Maybe I should give that Beat concert a miss. Too much weird karma.

Comment

• Can we post pictures of ourselves? I've been in so many of these drafts but I don't know what half you guys look like.

I know Revo, Swampy and Lucky from Facebook; DMT, ElD and Fresno Bob I remember from past Sports Bar photo threads. The rest of you I just have vague conceptions which are probably way off.

What's changed from the last time I posted a photo here about 8 years ago? A fully-formed middle-age paunch and grey beard, that's what (here this past summer with my daughter Carolyn in Berlin).

Carolyn: "Daddy do we have to listen to your music again?"
              Me: "You will listen to this compilation of Cabaret Voltaire B-sides and like it, young lady!"
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                btw, this is the conference room outside the desk I'm working at today. note that there is no Reel Big Fish room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439[/ATTACH]
                Nice. I'm amazing at the staying power of Op Ivy. They had one album and broke up almost immediately afterwards and never did a real tour of any kind. I suppose Rancid being pretty popular has help keep their name alive but they are very different bands. But kids who weren't even alive when the album was released are still walking around with Op Ivy sweatshirts and listening to their music.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                  Can we post pictures of ourselves? I've been in so many of these drafts but I don't know what half you guys look like.
                  You asked for it! Here's the latest I have, Halloween 2013. The blood and shrapnel are fake. The dead-eyed zombie stare, on the other hand...

Last edited by senorsheep; 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• in my vintage baseball uniform.

btw, I'll post something more formal later, but if anyone is interested in seeing what vintage baseball is like, we're running casual open practices most weekends in SF and you can borrow equipment as needed.

473766_10150618170813472_131820931_o.jpg
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• What's my name?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441[/ATTACH]
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• earlier this year, with my daughter

christmas 2012 031.jpg
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Haha ... Just seen a concert add for The Beat on my way home ... With a really nice ska style graphic. Now I have to go.
                          Over on your side of the world, that would be Ranking Roger's version of the Beat - with his son and Everett Morton. I believe Dave Wakeling's current English Beat are playing some shows in the UK in march. be interesting to see if Rog makes an appearance

Comment

• At the English beat show this weekend - with their merch girl and a fellow Beathead

SP.jpg

Comment

• I was doing a search for Beat tickets, and saw Neutral Milk Hotel tickets for the same venue! Errr ... what?

It is so

Tour Dates (for DMT's benefit I guess): http://walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                I was doing a search for Beat tickets, and saw Neutral Milk Hotel tickets for the same venue! Errr ... what?

It is so

Tour Dates (for DMT's benefit I guess): http://walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html
                                Thanks...already saw it, pretty bummed they're not coming to AZ.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X