*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    The craziest I've ever seen a crowd get, and I've seen some really fucking crazy crowds in my day, was the crowd at Lollapallooza in Denver when Ministry opened with "Thieves". People were launching themselves off of speaker stands, recycle bins were flying through the pit, shit got insane. It was soooooo fun.
    Word!

I was actually scared when they hit the stage. Only knowing them from their poppier "Everyday is Halloween" days - Psalm 69 had just come out and I wasn't familiar with Jourgensen's other projects live Revolting Cocks- I wasn't prepared for the devil himself to hit the stage and pummel me with a barrage of strobe lights, skeletons and screeching metallic sounds.

Comment

• Lists updated etc.

Comment

• 10.01 If You’re Feeling Sinister – Belle and Sebastian (1996)
        Sad bastard music?

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Sad bastard music?
          "What the fuck is that???"

I had another High Fidelity clip lined up, but I'm not sure I'm gonna use it / pick the record.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Sad bastard music?

Such a perfectly executed scene. I particularly love the brief glimpse of the Michael Stipe guy winding the tape back with his pinky.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
              Word!

I was actually scared when they hit the stage. Only knowing them from their poppier "Everyday is Halloween" days - Psalm 69 had just come out and I wasn't familiar with Jourgensen's other projects live Revolting Cocks- I wasn't prepared for the devil himself to hit the stage and pummel me with a barrage of strobe lights, skeletons and screeching metallic sounds.
              A friend of mine brought one of his buddies who had never heard of Ministry to that lalapalooza, I think the one in Pittsburgh. They were on a field which was recently sod, so people started pulling up the turf and throwing it at each other. Dwayne looked over and saw his buddy, completely caked in my from head to toe, everything brown but his eyes, and his buddy Carl screamed "THIS IS AWESOME"
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• 'Night And Day' was definitely on the short list for me. Another NYC classic...
                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Great pick with Tears for Fears. Loved 'Sowing the Seeds of Love' which may have been the best Beatles imitation ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Great pick with Tears for Fears. Loved 'Sowing the Seeds of Love' which may have been the best Beatles imitation ever.
                    don't let Liam Gallagher hear you say that

Comment

• I'm looking elsewhere at Tears For Fears...
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                        I'm looking elsewhere at Tears For Fears...
                        this was the good album - the sound was beatlesque but Advice for the Young at Heart was really more jam like
                        and Woman in Chains live was haunting

Comment

The craziest I've ever seen a crowd get, and I've seen some really fucking crazy crowds in my day, was the crowd at Lollapallooza in Denver when Ministry opened with "Thieves". People were launching themselves off of speaker stands, recycle bins were flying through the pit, shit got insane. It was soooooo fun.
                          I was at the Green Day show in Boston in 1994 where a riot broke out after only 20 minutes of their set. The barricade was bout 40 feet away from stage so everyone was really far away, which was really stupid and basically caused everyone to try to get closer just to see the damn stage and eventually the barricade broke causing everyone to rush up to the stage.

Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            this was the good album - the sound was beatlesque but Advice for the Young at Heart was really more jam like
                            and Woman in Chains live was haunting
                            Yes, great album with some haunting songs like you say. But I really dig their earlier stuff too (pre the big album from 1985)

Saw Curt Smith at a small bar in LA a few years ago doing a solo acoustic thing and it was very memorable. Good, good band that gets unfairly lumped in with a lot of the New Wave junk.

Comment

• Making Movies (Dire Straits) - Impossible not to listen to Dire Straits without bopping your head automatically. Great band. Not much progression in their music, but what they did they did really well. Actually, bands who "progressed" from the 70's to the 80's were generally shit, so the secret of their success was probably a lack of progression. First record I ever bought was Dire Straits.

Thunder and Consolation (New Model Army) - Scott keepin' it leftfield. I've heard of them, but not much beyond that.

The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste (Ministry) - don't know any Ministry songs / records.

War (U2) - Someone previously said something about liking 2 or 3 songs from a record, but not liking the record as a whole. Pretty much describes every U2 record for me.

Night and Day (Joe Jackson) - Don't really know much about Joe Jackson. Good batting average though.

World Clique (Deee-Lite) - Undeniably catchy hit single ... and that funky bassline. But don't know much else they did apart from some dreadful house type singles. 90's house music grates on me. Saying that, this record sounds more funky than the other stuff I've heard.

Ragin', Full On (Firehouse) - Drawing another CJ blank.

The Seeds of Love (Tears For Fears) - A band I couldn't stand when I was a kid. Still can't stand "Sowing the Seeds of Love". One had a perm, and the other had a new-wave-mullet ... ugh! I couldn't stand the sight of them. Saying that, I've liked some other stuff I've heard since then.

Got a lot of catching up to do this evening ...

Comment

Mike Watt is awesome.
                                You're up, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X