No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm fine either way...the problem IMO is the unnecessarily long delays in picking...if we could keep a relatively steady pace 1/round is fine.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      The most interesting thing to me about these music drafts is the huge diversity in what we each like, love, dislike and can't stand.
      Exactly, and learning about new music. If we start rushing just to finish, then what was the point?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Hahaha. Why?

That is how i felt listening to the Belle and Sebastian..but instead of strangling the singer, i wanted to punch him in his mouth!! He sounds so smarmy and pretentious...

His guitar playing is so distinctive..maybe it's an acquired taste..
        I dunno. I just wanted them both to shut their mouths and stop singing!

Comment

• fIREHOSE - not a big fan.

Teenage Fanclub - good stuff. A group i plan to listen to some more

Tori Amos - i like her voice , but never purchased anything from her

The Police - great pick. But the fact that "Behind My Camel" won the "best rock instrumental" grammy instead of "YYZ" from Rush was and is a fucking TRAVESTY!!!

Tear for Fears - Enjoy their songs

Camper Van Beethoven - Actually own a cassette of theirs. Never really got into it though.

Tricky - never ventured into the trip-hop genre

Pharcyde/Disposable - i like rap music, but it's a bit too derivative and sound-alike for me to ever really get seriously into.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Exactly, and learning about new music. If we start rushing just to finish, then what was the point?
            Agreed. I am at a comfortable rate so far.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Pharcyde/Disposable - i like rap music, but it's a bit too derivative and sound-alike for me to ever really get seriously into.
              I've heard that before but I don't completely get it. Take for example Me, Myself, and I by De La Soul and Bring the Noise by Public Enemy. Those came out within a year of each other. Is there a similar example for the extremes of metal? I have a lot more trouble telling Metallica and Def Leppard apart than those two, but maybe those bands are both in the same place in a much larger spectrum I'm unaware of.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                I could have talked myself into Full Moon Fever, but it slipped my mind. His other album that's exceelent all the way through is Damn the Torpedos, which was one year too early for this draft.
                yep, I had to check the date on Damn the Torpedos myself
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  I've heard that before but I don't completely get it. Take for example Me, Myself, and I by De La Soul and Bring the Noise by Public Enemy. Those came out within a year of each other. Is there a similar example for the extremes of metal? I have a lot more trouble telling Metallica and Def Leppard apart than those two, but maybe those bands are both in the same place in a much larger spectrum I'm unaware of.
                  Don't be saying that out loud!

Comment

The Police - great pick. But the fact that "Behind My Camel" won the "best rock instrumental" grammy instead of "YYZ" from Rush was and is a fucking TRAVESTY!!!
                    The Grammy's are a travesty. Have they ever got any award in any category remotely correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Yeah I'm not pulling the trigger on 2-picks-per yet.

Why? It's not a mock draft. No-one is going to pull out. We did almost a round yesterday and it was a slow day.

If we go 2-picks-per I won't be able to catch-up on anyone's pick. I still have a bunch of stuff to listen to from the last 2 rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        yep, I had to check the date on Damn the Torpedos myself
                        its just the normal noises in here

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          Those two songs are different sure, but what i am talking about is that the BPM (beats per minute) sound the same for both..and for most rap songs. Admittedly I may be wrong and just "hearing" it that way, but that's what i meant by derivative.

Comment

• Back in Black!!! Hell yeah..great pick....one of those "listen to from start to finish" albums for me.

Comment

• Sorry all... feeling a bit ill and slept in west coast time a bit.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                The Grammy's are a travesty. Have they ever got any award in any category remotely correct?
                                2011 Best New Artist Nominees:
                                Drake
                                Florence + The Machine
                                Esperanza Spalding
                                Justin Bieber
                                Mumford and Sons

Winner: Esperanza Spalding

You could argue that maybe Florence + The Machine or Mumford and Sons should have won, but they got correct by simply not giving it to Bieber.

Comment

Working...
                                X