*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I have a Fugazi cassette...listened to it quite a bit when i first bought it..haven't listened to it in over 20 years..
    But now I'm a number
    1 2 3 repeater
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      5.12 - Peter Gabriel - Melt
      Nice one, I was going to try to grab it in Round 6 or 7. I kind of got the sense in the rock festival draft that Peter Gabriel is not a favorite amongst this group - lingering Sledgehammer hangover, maybe?

No need to slag Abacab, though...
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        5.13 The Breeders - Last Splash
        Gah! Dammit... had that one all cued up. This record kicks the crap out of any Frank Black solo album. Well played, Mauer.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Only two pick-able chick albums left. Maybe three.

Comment

• "Last Splash" - another album i have owned but never listened to that much. Although "Cannonball" is a great great tune!!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I love the Billy Squier pick, that album IS rock n roll.

And of course the Fugazi record is one of the best albums picked so far. It will disappoint Diablo that it's up there with the Neutral Milk Hotel album for me.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• yeah, I was considering taking a Peter Gabriel album sometime soon, but I'm not sure there's one that I actually want to listen to all the way through.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• If you want to see some other styles of music that They Might Be Giants do, here are a few samples from various albums:

(sigh, only one video per post)

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Only two pick-able chick albums left. Maybe three.
                        On your list..mine has a few more than that and i would highly doubt they are the same chicks...
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          On your list..mine has a few more than that
                          Ditto on that. Love the Breeders pick.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            5.14 Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, Social Distortion, 1992
                            Ouch... another great pick. I still listen to this one a lot.

Comment

• Social Distortion - another band that i have liked everything i have heard from them, just never purchased any albums.

Really dig their version of "Ring of Fire".

Comment

• Breeders would have been higher up my lists but for 2 things ... I already have a top-tier Pixies pick, and my favourite Breeders records (Title TK) isn't eligible. If you like your music low-fi and minimalist, with 100% double-Deal vocals, check out "Title TK". Kelley and Kim are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X