*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Heyelander was here until it was his time to pick.

My guess is that he saw the Billy Squier pick, tore up his cheat sheet, and went for a long walk to calm down.

It's "Squier" not "Spier."

And Foot.....Rock Me Tonight is an excellent tune, but ya, that video was career killing.

Comment

• Nebraska is a solid album

I have always liked this song

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        It's "Squier" not "Spier."
        I seriously have never heard of Billy Spier ... when you picked it I was thinking of a 70's female country singer ... Billy something.

I'm discovering there are MANY acts that were huge in the states that never crossed over.

EDIT: Billy Jo Spears ... Ireland is still locked in a 70's country-and-western time-warp to some extent:

Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Great pick Mith.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Thanks DMT.

A little surprised that "Ride the Lightning" was still available...or maybe not???

The album that set the stage for all heavy metal to follow. Arguably as good, if not better than Master of Puppets.

The guitar from 33-45 seconds in "Trapped Under Ice" is just so fucking powerful....

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I think Master of Puppets edges it out, but just barely.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                A little surprised that "Ride the Lightning" was still available...or maybe not???
                Probably not with this crowd.

There's maybe 5 draftable Metallica records even considering this group of pansy alt rock loving freaks IMO (before Eld chimes in). I would doubt all 5 will be selected, so there should be value at the end if you really want a Metallica record.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I think Master of Puppets edges it out, but just barely.
                  I didn't comment on Eld's pick of Master at the time, but I feel that it is one of the greatest albums in the rock and roll era.

I took the title song in the first round of the "Desert island draft" and it is in my top 5 songs of all time.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Probably not with this crowd.

There's maybe 5 draftable Metallica records even considering this group of pansy alt rock loving freaks IMO (before Eld chimes in). I would doubt all 5 will be selected, so there should be value at the end if you really want a Metallica record.
                    True. But i think Lightning and Puppets stand head and shoulders above the other 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      True. But i think Lightning and Puppets stand head and shoulders above the other 3.
                      Mostly agree, there's only one more I'd consider drafting.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• For some reason, Disciple wasn't on my radar but it's a great album.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Damn, another one from my list bites the dust.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Moon Safari was slap bang in the middle of my main list also. This round is proving painful.

Great pick. Awesome timeless record.

Comment

• Never heard of Air or "Moon Safari".

Just listened to "Sexy Boy" and "Ce Matin La". Enjoyed them both.

I guess Man can listen to "Psychocandy" to get pumped and then "Moon Safari" to chill

Comment

• Forgot all about Discipline, too.. it hasn't aged that well with me though, quite honestly. Adrian Belew tended to dominate wherever he went, and he was everywhere around '79-81... Bowie, Crimson, Talking Heads, Zappa... I couldn't escape the guy.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X