No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only surprise is that Sheep didn't pick Urban Hymns in the 2nd.

Best unheralded song - Lucky Man - Released as a single in the U.S., and went nowhere; a good place to start for classic rock fans, as this song is relatively straightforward
    That's the song I still use to tune my guitar ... open G, D, A ... perfect and covers all the bases

Comment

• I love 'The Drugs Don't Work' by the Verve, too... what a heartbreaker that song is. Will remind me always of the old friends that didn't escape their demons.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Just in the past half-hour, I told my wife about this draft and the first album she mentioned was 'Dookie' (we weren't home so my point being it was coincidence that it was picked). I actually dyed my hair red (including pre-dye bleaching) so I looked just like Green Day at the time. I used to turn their music on full blast pretty much daily my freshman year.
        You're wife is obviously cooler than mine.

I just told her about this draft and the first three suggestions she threw out were...

Jodi Watley
        Milli Vanilli

and...wait for it...

Stacey Q

I'd like to think (for the sake of our marriage) that she's joking...but she does love "Two of Hearts".

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Stacey Q
          Any relation to Jackie Q?

... I'm talking about my arsehole

Rose Byrne is so hot!

Comment

• I'm not sure my wife has listened to any album that's been picked so far, outside of being around when I have. Maybe Purple Rain.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Okay, youtube interlude over, and I have reached a conclusion about the Pixies. They're the friggin' Beatles compared to Neutral Milk Hotel.

I'd like to like NMH, since Ruston (besides being a musical Mecca) is only about an hour and a half from my house. Mangum sounds like John Lennon, but the album doesn't seem to have a lot of musical virtuosity.

And what is this meme business?

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                I know we're not supposed to name drop, although Johnny already did it in the first post in the draft thread, but my wife is extremely butthurt that Thriller did not go #1 overall. She tried to get upset that Madonna didn't go in the first round until I reminded her that we're pretty much all straight dudes and that Madonna is likely not our collective cup of tea.
                Some drafters know that too are are just biding our time...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Okay, youtube interlude over, and I have reached a conclusion about the Pixies. They're the friggin' Beatles compared to Neutral Milk Hotel.
                  I can tell I'm really gonna love your quotes through this draft. Please don't hold back, those of us watching are lovin' it!
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Okay, youtube interlude over, and I have reached a conclusion about the Pixies. They're the friggin' Beatles compared to Neutral Milk Hotel.

I'd like to like NMH, since Ruston (besides being a musical Mecca) is only about an hour and a half from my house. Mangum sounds like John Lennon, but the album doesn't seem to have a lot of musical virtuosity.

And what is this meme business?

- a meme

NMH is more about the lyrics and the songs rather than instrumental virtuosity. But the album's composition is under-appreciated IMO. The band did a great job on the tracks that aren't just acoustic and stripped back. There's all sorts of weird sounds and instruments on there if you listen carefully. Perfectly captures the madness of the events under consideration, and the writers obsession and thoughts about Anne Frank in particular.
                    Last edited by johnnya24; 11-11-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Truthfully, there are albums on this list that I still listen to top to bottom more than I listen to The Chronic, but outside of License to Ill it was probably the most influential hip hop album for me growing up. I didn't see it making it back to me, so I hopped on it a little early hoping that the others would make it back to me.

Comment

• Definitely do not have the time to participate, but am really enjoying this, fellas.

London Calling would have been my 1.01, fer sure. Loved the Neutral Milk Hotel pick. Saw Mangum live last year play an acoustic set in Brooklyn. Was jaw droppingly awesome (well, if you like the album, naturally).

Also loved the Weezer pick. One of my favorites from the time period.

Lot of other ones I see that I would have went for too.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          I know we're not supposed to name drop, although Johnny already did it in the first post in the draft thread, but my wife is extremely butthurt that Thriller did not go #1 overall. She tried to get upset that Madonna didn't go in the first round until I reminded her that we're pretty much all straight dudes and that Madonna is likely not our collective cup of tea. She's also mentioned some other pretty amusing albums that I never would have thought of but there's a very slight possibility that some might be picked. She thinks, I believe, that Graceland is the best pick yet. Take that however you'd like.

My wife asked "what's the scoring system?" And when I told her there was none, she said, "You are an idiot."
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Truthfully, there are albums on this list that I still listen to top to bottom more than I listen to The Chronic, but outside of License to Ill it was probably the most influential hip hop album for me growing up. I didn't see it making it back to me, so I hopped on it a little early hoping that the others would make it back to me.
                            Glad to see some early 90's west coast hip hop going early. If I pick some 90's hip hop, it'll probably be in a different direction. But still love me some chilled out Dre and Snoop. The West Coast Classics channel on GTA5 is excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Glad to see some early 90's west coast hip hop going early. If I pick some 90's hip hop, it'll probably be in a different direction. But still love me some chilled out Dre and Snoop. The West Coast Classics channel on GTA5 is excellent.
                              West is the best
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Some drafters know that too are are just biding our time...
                                we are - if you were a hipster in the early 80s you knew how much fun Madonna songs were in the clubs - Foot should remember this too but is too butch to pick her

Comment

Working...
                                X