*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I waited as i like another of their albums just as much, so either would have been fine. Husker du are in my discussion for best american band.
    They would be high on my list too. Bob Mould in general is one of the best American songwriters ever.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
      7.05 - 3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul
      Wow, I haven't thought about this record in years. The wide-ranging sampling reminds me a lot of Paul's Boutique. Great pick.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Fatboy Slim - "Rockafeller Skank" is one of the catchiest songs of the 90's. I haven't really listened to the rest of the album all that much

REM - Love Fables

Pyromania is an all time great album

INXS is a cool band..good album

Bonnie Raitt - Excellent album...
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I have a song in my collection by the Old97s.... love it. I will have to listen to what you posted DMT.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Whew...feared I'd killed the thread

The amazing thing about TFTC is that it's a double-album without a weak song on it....I can count the number of those on two hands.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Husker Du is soooooooooooooo much better than Sugar or solo Mould.
              I don't disagree but Sugar and Mould solo is still great. Bob Mould's last album is on the level with Copper Blue.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Husker Du is soooooooooooooo much better than Sugar or solo Mould.
                I like "Black Sheets of Rain" more than any Husker Du album. I think "Copper Blue" is better than some Husker Du albums. Other than that i agree with you.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Whew...feared I'd killed the thread

The amazing thing about TFTC is that it's a double-album without a weak song on it....I can count the number of those on two hands.
                  You mean every Zep album !!

Comment

I've tried the Old 97s out a few times on account of the Exceelent thread. But they've never really clicked for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      You mean every Zep album !!
                      Well, considering only Physical Graffiti is a double-album, no.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

This is probably the first album picked that would be in my top 20 of the 80s and 90s. Tim would be close but it's not my favorite 'Mats album. I'd have a Husker Du album on my list but not [Flip Your Whig[/i].

TFTC is not a double album, it's only 46 minutes long.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          This is probably the first album picked that would be in my top 20 of the 80s and 90s. Tim would be close but it's not my favorite 'Mats album. I'd have a Husker Du album on my list but not [Flip Your Whig[/i].

TFTC is not a double album, it's only 46 minutes long.
                          It's on double-vinyl so I assumed that made it a double album.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            I've tried the Old 97s out a few times on account of the Exceelent thread. But they've never really clicked for me.
                            They've put out some crap in recent years. If you've listened to Too Far to Care and don't like it then I guess you won't like them. However, Satellite Rides is much more of a power pop album and I think it's their second best. But they both very different sounding albums.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It's on double-vinyl so I assumed that made it a double album.
                              That release contains bonus songs. Initially, it was not put out of vinyl and now that I think about it I believe 46 minutes is a minute or two longer than what will fit on an LP. I guess it's a situation where the CD age has distorted the lines between single and double albums. For example, the Beatles White Album is an hour and a half.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well, considering only Physical Graffiti is a double-album, no.
                                Doh!!

Comment

Working...
                                X