No announcement yet.

Yeah so global warming huh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• everyone concerned with this issue would best help the cause, or any cause, by not outkicking the coverage
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Is there room next to you at that rock you're living under?

BTW, Thanks for finally moving your fixation of me from the 3 year old memes to the new one.
      I own a small house.

I can always go to you for humor. Like Congress you never disappoint.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        I find that rather hard to believe. I'm sure going vegan cuts your carbon footprint, but 70%? I'd need to see data to buy into that.
        Here's a couple of articles about how food supply is driving climate change. The first one deals with a study by the UN. The 2nd article talks in more general terms.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...meat-free-diet

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...act-vegetarian

Regarding carbon footprint, the most recent studies say vegan eating cuts your carbon footprint 50%, but I've read it's higher. But you can google any number of articles quoting 50%.

Cattle production alone contributes more to greenhouse gas emissions than all cars and trucks on the planet! Check out this report from the EPA:

http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemis...gases/ch4.html

Here's another one, this one from the UN, regarding my statement about cattle production's impact being greater than all cars on earth. It's kind of buried in the article, but it states "globally, the agriculture sector is the primary source of CH4 emissions." This is meat being produced for North America, by clearcutting rainforest to create grazing space for our increasing food "needs", which are really preferences.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...2#.VQUOm_nF_8g

Is the United Nations lying to the world about the environmental impact of meat production? What motivation could they possibly have?

The primary greenhouse gas emitted from cattle is 23 times more deadly to the environment than CO2. These aren't made up compounds, or made up statistics, or politically or financially driven studies. This is reality. Nothing will more greatly impact the environment than a vegan diet. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm saving the planet. We're all screwed, as I mentioned earlier. Creatures of convenience, digging our own graves.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Is the UN lying? This is a joke, right?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            Is the UN lying? This is a joke, right?

J
            Everything is a left wing conspiracy to you.

Show me evidence to support your denial. That's how discussions work.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              Everything is a left wing conspiracy to you.

Show me evidence to support your denial. That's how discussions work.
              No. I do not see a conspiracy, right, left or any other. I simply have no faith in the UN.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                The evidence indicates that our planet was in a period of extended cooling but that trend got reversed. Best estimates are that this trend got reversed wholly by human activity. Wholly. However, this cannot be stated with 100% certainty.

There can obviously exist other contributions to global warming. However, again, evidence indicates that those contributors were either not adding to global warming at all or very, very little . And herein lies the variance we see in the IPCC report. Note where the apex of the bell curve is regarding at what percentage human activity is the driving force behind global warming. I assume you read the article I linked, right? ""The contribution from natural forcings is likely to be in the range of −0.1°C to 0.1°C, and from internal variability is likely to be in the range of −0.1°C to 0.1°C."" That's directly from the IPCC. The strongest likelihood is that global warming is 100% due to humans, according to compilations of studies. As I already stated, the graphs do a better job of explaining than I do - please read the link I've posted.
                apologies - got taken away from the forum since friday afternoon. i have not had time to read that article, i will attempt to do so tomorrow.

but absent reading that, i see a claim that 100% of global warming is caused by human factors as indefensible as a claim that there is no global warming, or that 0% of it is caused by human factors. there is simply too much uncertainty in the models to make those extreme claims.

and taking the numbers from your quote, if you put the natural forcings and internal variability numbers each at 0.1%, that means about half of the current warming is caused by human factors (if you take the current anomaly to be 0.4 C).
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

No. I do not see a conspiracy, right, left or any other. I simply have no faith in the UN.

J
                  Your lack of faith in the UN doesn't convince me of anything. Read the article and disprove it's points. Make an actual argument, if you please.

Comment

Your lack of faith in the UN doesn't convince me of anything. Read the article and disprove it's points. Make an actual argument, if you please.
                    there will be climate change in Hades before that happens..........
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• It takes 23-49 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of any of these crops: lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, wheat, carrots, or apples.

It takes 815 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of chicken.

It takes 1,630 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of pork.

It takes 5,214 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef.

Sustainability is impossible without lowering our demand for meat. California has 1 year of water left! It will only get worse. We need to do something, and I've seen zero other suggestions to helping the problem.

http://abc7news.com/weather/nasa-off...r-left/558932/

In California, you can save more water by not eating 1 lb of beef than you can by not showering for 6 months!

Comment

• California's problem is too many people living in a desert. You could have Colorado's problem, where they bottle their natural water and ship it out in Coors cans.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

California's problem is too many people living in a desert. You could have Colorado's problem, where they bottle their natural water and ship it out in Coors cans.

J
                          You continue to spout opinions instead of citing sources to back up your claims. What's the deal?

Comment

You continue to spout opinions instead of citing sources to back up your claims. What's the deal?
                            Welcome to One Jay land.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              there will be climate change in Hades before that happens..........
                              Wait...the Browns might win the Super Bowl!?!?!?
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

It takes 23-49 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of any of these crops: lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, wheat, carrots, or apples.

It takes 815 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of chicken.

It takes 1,630 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of pork.

It takes 5,214 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef.

Sustainability is impossible without lowering our demand for meat. California has 1 year of water left! It will only get worse. We need to do something, and I've seen zero other suggestions to helping the problem.

http://abc7news.com/weather/nasa-off...r-left/558932/

In California, you can save more water by not eating 1 lb of beef than you can by not showering for 6 months!
                                Just a quick search on the internet shows a ridiculous spread on the amount of water to produce any of those meats.

For instance, one site tells me it takes 518 gallons for a pound of chicken, and 704 gallons for a pound of lentils. The site also quotes 258 gallons for a pound of asparagus. Another site reports 2,464 gallons for a pound of beef.

Now I think there is a difference between how much water it takes to produce something and how much water is actually consumed, which I would guess is not taken into account in some of these numbers. Water in the production of many products can be re-used, put back into the water table, and so forth.

Either way, I think your numbers are over-inflated for the production of those meats. Sites I think you would consider referencing are 30-70% lower than your numbers. EPA.gov suggests 1799 gallons for a pound of beef.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X