Yeah so global warming huh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505

The consensus - yes, there's still a consensus and has been for quite some time - agrees that it's well over 50%.

Even though Bryanbutler said "there are other contributions to global warming" there is a paucity of evidence to support that assertion.
    sigh.

your own statement says that up to 50% is caused by other than man. or, well, pick your percentage depending on your definition of "well over."

you really don't want to argue that there are no other contributions to global warming, do you? that's a non-starter.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      For obvious (I assume) reasons, it's very difficult to pinpoint a specific percentage.

The consensus - yes, there's still a consensus and has been for quite some time - agrees that it's well over 50%. That's why they - again, the overwhelming consensus - can say that man is the number one factor in all warming since 1950. Even more to the point, the consensus is that humans are responsible for 100% of the warming since 1950.

Again, not an "Al Gore and Democrats" thing. It's a science thing. And scientists are in extremely strong agreement about this. Even though Bryanbutler said "there are other contributions to global warming" there is a paucity of evidence to support that assertion. Mainstream science, and the IPCC is by far the best source for this information, indicates that humans are most likely responsible for ALL global warming in the last 55 years.
      We just need less people. We haven't had a good world war since 2 ended in 1945...perhaps we need to look for solutions that are easy to execute.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        sigh.

your own statement says that up to 50% is caused by other than man. or, well, pick your percentage depending on your definition of "well over."

you really don't want to argue that there are no other contributions to global warming, do you? that's a non-starter.
        Well, the consensus 100% is a number over the consensus "over 50%".
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• To me it's pretty simple. Natural global warming occurs cyclically over millennium barring a catastrophic event. It's very much like a naturally occurring fire in that it happens and eventually burns itself out with regrowth returning the burned area to it's original or near original state. However when Humans enter the equation it's like adding a never ending supply of lighter fluid to the fire so it never goes out, burns hotter and releases toxins into the air that a naturally burning fire does not.

Climate change does occur naturally, but we have hastened it and perpetuated it. And created new issues not normally found in the natural cycle of climate change. We may or may not be too late to do anything about it based on which model you choose to believe, but as Lucky said why not err on the side of caution? Why not put the environmental future ahead of present day profit? If we're wrong, some folks have a few less dollars in their portfolios and the earth is a little healthier. If we're not, our time on earth will be over. well at least those of us who cannot afford to build structures to wait out the catastrophic events brought on by climate change in it's worse scenario.

However, all this discussion does not mask the fact that to simply deny that ANY climate change exists or portray it as a myth is not only incorrect. It's dangerous and those in office who hold these false beliefs should not be making policy regarding environmental issues.

Put it this way, would you like an Atheist in charge of regulating the Nation's churches? That's exactly what we have right now regarding our Government and Climate change.

Pascals wager, brilliant reference Lucky.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Can we start a new thread on this? Every time this one gets bumped, it reminds me that Roto Rooter existed.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              so since my bait was ruined I'll just ask straight out.

What percentage of climate change is directly attributed to Humans?

What are the other contributing factors to climate change and their percentage of effect on the equation?

How does the Human element exacerbate those naturally occurring elements or does it?
              1.) A very significant amount, I'd argue 90%
              2.) Cyclical Elements based on Earth wobble, very longwave, measurable in thousands of years intervals
              3.) Accelerates trends considerably, by orders of magnitude
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                To me it's pretty simple. Natural global warming occurs cyclically over millennium barring a catastrophic event. It's very much like a naturally occurring fire in that it happens and eventually burns itself out with regrowth returning the burned area to it's original or near original state. However when Humans enter the equation it's like adding a never ending supply of lighter fluid to the fire so it never goes out, burns hotter and releases toxins into the air that a naturally burning fire does not.

Climate change does occur naturally, but we have hastened it and perpetuated it. And created new issues not normally found in the natural cycle of climate change. We may or may not be too late to do anything about it based on which model you choose to believe, but as Lucky said why not err on the side of caution? Why not put the environmental future ahead of present day profit? If we're wrong, some folks have a few less dollars in their portfolios and the earth is a little healthier. If we're not, our time on earth will be over. well at least those of us who cannot afford to build structures to wait out the catastrophic events brought on by climate change in it's worse scenario.

However, all this discussion does not mask the fact that to simply deny that ANY climate change exists or portray it as a myth is not only incorrect. It's dangerous and those in office who hold these false beliefs should not be making policy regarding environmental issues.

Put it this way, would you like an Atheist in charge of regulating the Nation's churches? That's exactly what we have right now regarding our Government and Climate change.

Pascals wager, brilliant reference Lucky.
                It's not about stock portfolios, it's about North American consumption and waste. If North American life were the norm, we would need 5 earths to collect all our garbage. It's about convenience, and nobody will relinquish convenience by choice. Not enough people anyway.

Going vegan lowers your carbon footprint something like 70%. Meat consumption is killing our planet, as we clearcut forests and destroy the ecosystem to create grazing land for animals. But, y'know... bacon...

That's why we're completely, irreversibly doomed. Because we convince ourselves that devastating the planet is just a part of everyday life. We convince ourselves by painting all of our garbage trucks green and putting recycling signs on them. We pull the wool over our own eyes.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  It's not about stock portfolios, it's about North American consumption and waste. If North American life were the norm, we would need 5 earths to collect all our garbage. It's about convenience, and nobody will relinquish convenience by choice. Not enough people anyway.

Going vegan lowers your carbon footprint something like 70%. Meat consumption is killing our planet, as we clearcut forests and destroy the ecosystem to create grazing land for animals. But, y'know... bacon...

That's why we're completely, irreversibly doomed. Because we convince ourselves that devastating the planet is just a part of everyday life. We convince ourselves by painting all of our garbage trucks green and putting recycling signs on them. We pull the wool over our own eyes.
                  Throwing matchsticks at a tsunami I'm afraid. The population of the planet in 2100 will be 11+ billion. We'll be farming rats and insects for protein.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Throwing matchsticks at a tsunami I'm afraid. The population of the planet in 2100 will be 11+ billion. We'll be farming rats and insects for protein.
                    With only 11 billion people? Get real.

We raise enough food now to feed a billion more people than are on the planet. Hunger is a political problem. Like the climate, overpopulation is a largely a fairy tale. The sky is not falling.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      With only 11 billion people? Get real.

We raise enough food now to feed a billion more people than are on the planet. Hunger is a political problem. Like the climate, overpopulation is a largely a fairy tale. The sky is not falling.

J
                      Is there room next to you at that rock you're living under?

BTW, Thanks for finally moving your fixation of me from the 3 year old memes to the new one.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Or a million plant based protein sources. How is cutting 70% of your carbon footprint insignificant?

The last 40 years have seen the number of animals on planet earth cut in half. This is largely due to de-forestation to graze animals for food, or to grow crops to feed animals to feed us. The lack of efficiency in food production is what's killing the planet. Period.

Convenience is the reason this will never change. We're too comfortable to accept that we need to change our behaviour in a serious way. We deserve the grave we're digging.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The last 40 years have seen the number of animals on planet earth cut in half.
                          The World Wildlife Fund was involved in that claim, so there are questions about objectivity (as with all interest groups). from this link

The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, with wildlife populations halving in just 40 years, a report says.

Stephen Buckland, co-director of the National Centre for Statistical Ecology in the UK, told BBC News: "It is clear that declines are occurring, and at a more rapid rate in tropical areas with high diversity than in temperate areas where much of our diversity was lost long ago.

"But there is the question in the Living Planet Index of why some populations are monitored when others are not. Those in decline are perhaps of greater interest, and hence more likely to be monitored, than those that are stable or increasing. For practical reasons, populations that are more impacted by man are more easily monitored.

"Further, the quality of the data is highly variable from one population to another, and some population trends are likely to be biased. So is there a decline? Certainly. Are animal numbers around 52% lower than 40 years ago? Probably not."

so there is a significant issue here, but a less objective source may have overstated it. that always seems to be a problem in discussions, because it's distracting if the harm or change may be even modestly exaggerated. I don't think the left or the right are more or less likely to be involved. humans like to accept as fact conclusions that jibe with their preconceptions.
                          Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-14-2015, 07:45 PM.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            The World Wildlife Fund was involved in that claim, so there are questions about objectivity (as with all interest groups). from this link

The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, with wildlife populations halving in just 40 years, a report says.

Stephen Buckland, co-director of the National Centre for Statistical Ecology in the UK, told BBC News: "It is clear that declines are occurring, and at a more rapid rate in tropical areas with high diversity than in temperate areas where much of our diversity was lost long ago.

"But there is the question in the Living Planet Index of why some populations are monitored when others are not. Those in decline are perhaps of greater interest, and hence more likely to be monitored, than those that are stable or increasing. For practical reasons, populations that are more impacted by man are more easily monitored.

"Further, the quality of the data is highly variable from one population to another, and some population trends are likely to be biased. So is there a decline? Certainly. Are animal numbers around 52% lower than 40 years ago? Probably not."

so there is a significant issue here, but a less objective source may have overstated it. that always seems to be a problem in discussions, because it's distracting if the harm or change may be even modestly exaggerated. I don't think the left or the right are more or less likely to be involved. humans like to accept as fact conclusions that jibe with their preconceptions.
                            Right... maybe not quite 52%.... maybe only 30% of the planet's animals have disappeared over the last 40 years. But is that sustainable in any possible way? When the most dense ecosystems are the ones being affected the hardest?

My opinion is this is not sustainable, continuing to use more land for animal grazing and GMO tofu for animals to eat. Debating over how much environmental devastation is occurring totally misses the point. This is not sustainable.

Comment

I find that rather hard to believe. I'm sure going vegan cuts your carbon footprint, but 70%? I'd need to see data to buy into that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                I find that rather hard to believe. I'm sure going vegan cuts your carbon footprint, but 70%? I'd need to see data to buy into that.
                                I'd assume they mean 70% of your footprint associated with food, not total carbon footprint. Still would want to see documentation. I've also seen claims about how much water is associated with bringing meat to market. That may be a big deal soon also.
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X