Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I'll fix it when I get home.

Strange Currencies was one of my favourites from Monster when it first came out. I hadn't listened to it in years before this drafted started.
    I was looking at Strange Currencies and Time After Time for my last pick
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I've been passing on She Just Wants To Be for about 4 rounds now thinking that I'd still be able to get it.

I think this is one of the most under appreciated R.E.M. songs out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        I was looking at Strange Currencies and Time After Time for my last pick
        Apparently it almost didn't make the record because the picking style and tempo made it sound too similar to Everybody Hurts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I've been passing on She Just Wants To Be for about 4 rounds now thinking that I'd still be able to get it.

I think this is one of the most under appreciated R.E.M. songs out there.
          Totally agree ... that is a crackin' song. I always knew I was taking I'll Take The Rain, but if I were taking 2 from Reveal, She Just Wants To Be would probably have been the second.

It was one of their very best live songs during the later period ... along with The Great Beyond.

Comment

• Who wins a freak-out dance off between Michael Stipe and Thom Yorke?

Comment

• Sheep made it easy because I had my last pick to fill out Side B of my Album as either "Letter Never Sent" or "I Wanted To Be Wrong". I wanted to take the latter, but was having a hard time leaving Letter on the board.

Thanks Sheep!

Comment

• She Just Wants to Be was on my list. Love how it builds up.

Surprised to see Around the Sun songs start going but not, you know, that one.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• If we're gonna have Johnny fix pedantic stuff, Sweetness Follows is from Automatic, not Accelerate, and it's So Fast, So Numb, not Dumb.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Yeah, I was pretty surprised how many of the more recent songs I ended up picking, but as I started thinking of this as an album I really wanted to have an album with a feel of evolution through a journey of life and "I Wanted To Be Wrong" was just too perfect for that.

My final results:

Ameliorate

Side 1:
                    01) Pop Song 89
                    02) Losing My Religion
                    03) Supernatural Superserious
                    04) So. Central Rain
                    05) She Just Wants To Be
                    06) Perfect Circle

Side 2:
                    07) Pilgrimage
                    08) World Leader Pretend
                    09) Until the Day is Done
                    10) I Wanted To Be Wrong
                    11) Sweetness Follows
                    12) Find The River

The awesome thing about this draft (and great music in general) is that in 5 years I bet we could all do this draft with the same people and draft order and get completely different results.

http://open.spotify.com/user/geeklec...cKx5h8GzIzQ14L
                    Last edited by Stephen; 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Done-ski! As silly as it sounds to keep saying it, it's amazing what quality is still available as we close this thing out.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything for fans as passionate and knowledgeable as y'all , so... the track I almost took at the end but didn't was How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us. That jittery piano riff from Thelonius Mills has been rattling around in my head for a week now. It seems out a bit of place on New Adventures, but it would have slotted in perfectly on Up.

Needless to say, I love my album:

Whisper, Scream

Whisper Side:

01) Harborcoat
                      02) 7 Chinese Brothers
                      03) Pretty Persuasion
                      04) Letter Never Sent
                      05) Sitting Still
                      06) Wendell Gee

Scream Side:

07) Orange Crush
                      08) Belong
                      09) Walk Unafraid
                      10) King Of Birds
                      11) Me In Honey
                      12) Untitled (Track 11 From Green)

Thanks a lot, guys! That was a fun one - equal parts appreciating the old and discovering (for me) the new. DMT has my e-amail address, so if/when the next song draft drops, let me know. Cheers!
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Wendell Gee is a great little song. One of their nicest ever melodies, and maybe the best Stipe-Mills asymmetric harmony.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Done-ski! As silly as it sounds to keep saying it, it's amazing what quality is still available as we close this thing out.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything for fans as passionate and knowledgeable as y'all , so... the track I almost took at the end but didn't was How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us. That jittery piano riff from Thelonius Mills has been rattling around in my head for a week now. It seems out a bit of place on New Adventures, but it would have slotted in perfectly on Up.
                          I debated b/w 'Undertow' and 'HTWWWAWIGU'.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            If we're gonna have Johnny fix pedantic stuff, Sweetness Follows is from Automatic, not Accelerate, and it's So Fast, So Numb, not Dumb.
                            I'll fix it all later ... I have to type it in manually, because when I copy paste it turns the friggin' font to New Courier.

Comment

• Cat Butt

Side 1:

01) What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
                              02) Gardening At Night
                              03) Green Grow the Rushes
                              04) Life and How to Live It
                              05) Carnival of Sorts (Box Cars)
                              06) Don't Go Back to Rockville

Side 2:

07) Undertow
                              08) Catapult
                              09) Welcome to the Occupation
                              10) Laughing
                              11) Strange Currencies
                              12) Nightswimming

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Like a couple others had posted, I wish I'd had more time to explore the newer stuff but I am definitely going to be checking out Stephen's spotify recap of the draft.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X