REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    I just finished Reveal. Sweet mother of Christ, that was dull. You know what's worse than bad music? Music that's not even interesting enough to dislike. It evokes no response from me whatsoever. It's froth. Pretty and empty. Not hypnotic, just repetitive and pleasantly forgettable. It's something I'd put on if I wanted to take a nap on the bus. Other than Imitation Of Life, I can't remember anything I just heard, and I probably only remember that one because I've heard it before.

I wasn't wild about New Adventures, but there was enough there to make me want to give it another try. After I listened to Up, I couldn't wait to give it another listen. I don't really care if I ever hear Reveal again. If it magically appears in my collection someday, that'll be fine. If it doesn't, that'll be fine, too.

Around The Sun is even worse, huh? :shudder:

Woof.
    Reveal has some skips on it for sure. But it also has some great songs in addition to the 2 already picked (All The Way To Reno & I'll Take The Rain).

Around the Sun has 2 stand out songs, and the rest is a bit same pace ... although Michael's Stipe's lyrics on this record are really interesting.

Accelerate rocks out, and Collapse has a bit of everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Reveal has some skips on it for sure. But it also has some great songs in addition to the 2 already picked (All The Way To Reno & I'll Take The Rain).
      Eh, if you say so. I couldn't even identify a song I would skip; it was all so atmospheric and interchangeble... I wish something on there would have pissed me off enough to skip it. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for mood music today. I'll try it again some other time.

The good news is: nobody will have to worry about me snaking their Reveal picks.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I'm happy to report that one of the last two songs I wanted to finish out my "album" have survived one Lucky and Johnny pick each. If I can keep them away from them on the turn I think I'm in the clear!

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Next up for Pogues - Kid Fears by The Indigo Girls!
          My sister's favorite band is the Indigo Girls... I'll have to consult with her before we draft their songs.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• ... and again ... I've no idea how 'Get Up' was still around. I hinted that that was one of the Green picks I was surprised hadn't been taken about 4 rounds back. I probably shoulda picked it.

Also love the William S Burrough's version of Star Me kitten ... makes me smile every time he reads that intro.

"... just fuck me kitten, you are wild, and I'm in your possession. Nothing's free, so fuck me kitten. So fuck me kitten"

Comment

• I thought about Star Me Kitten, but I already have two songs with F bombs, which I figured was about my quota.

Is it my turn again? I'm having problems getting on the draft page.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                ... and again ... I've no idea how 'Get Up' was still around. I hinted that that was one of the Green picks I was surprised hadn't been taken about 4 rounds back. I probably shoulda picked it.

Also love the William S Burrough's version of Star Me kitten ... makes me smile every time he reads that intro.

"... just fuck me kitten, you are wild, and I'm in your possession. Nothing's free, so fuck me kitten. So fuck me kitten"
                I checked twice on "Get Up" since I couldn't believe it was there either....REM is so frakking deep, I had no trouble making 4 quick picks....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  I thought about Star Me Kitten, but I already have two songs with F bombs, which I figured was about my quota.

Is it my turn again? I'm having problems getting on the draft page.
                  No, bryanbutler for 2, then you.

Comment

• will pick later tonight - in the middle of a bit of work and then preparing for the drive up to denver tomorrow...

listened to Around the Sun and Reveal today. blah. need to listen to Collapse before i make my picks.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• picks posted. lucky is up. rather than wait i decided to just get it over with so i could focus on the work i have to do.

sad professor i've known i wanted for several rounds, and i thought i might end things up with it, but i just don't want to miss out on it. i know and work with an awful lot of people that song fits quite well. and after a quick reprise of Collapse, i knew which song i wanted from it too...
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• I believe, with the opportunity to listen to all of REM's music, I would have picked some different songs, especially in the 2nd half of the draft. I'm at a bit of a handicap as I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Chronic Town, Fables, Life's Rich Pageant, Dead Letter Office, Monster, New Adventures, and Reveal, and haven't listened to Green in years.

I do enjoy the razzing I'm taking over some of my picks, namely the ones with a female guest singer. But it doesn't bother me...I mean it's your supergroup that chose to sing with Kate Pierson, Natalie Merchant, and Patti Smith. What matters to me is I enjoy the songs, and I'm trying to spread my picks between their early years, their peak years, and the years of their downhill slide. I guess not being an REM fan allows me to not have my judgement clouded by preconceptions of what is their "good" stuff.

I'm going to have a go at Sheep's live version of that song off of Up, but my stubborn opinion is if it isn't good on the album, then I won't consider it.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I like most of Kate Piersons sidework, "Candy" with Iggy Pop is my favorite
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• My 11th round pick is up.

I don't have a big problem with a band bringing in someone to guest on a song or two. I don't think REM went overboard with it.

I think different REM fans have a different ideas about the good stuff. I think guys who were into them in college in the early 80s have one idea. They had already released Up before I became a huge fan (and by that, I mean they would definitely make my Top Twenty bands list. I can't listen to only the old stuff, though, without it eventually grating on my nerves. I have to mix it up.

The last four albums aren't my favorites, but there is lots of good music there. I think Horse To Water would be a blast to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              I like most of Kate Piersons sidework, "Candy" with Iggy Pop is my favorite
                              I also enjoy Candy, and it is in my rotation now and again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                I believe, with the opportunity to listen to all of REM's music, I would have picked some different songs, especially in the 2nd half of the draft.
                                The same is probably true for me. I have been busy this week and haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time delving into stuff I'm not familiar with.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X