REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    It is an extremely rare album that has no warts. A lot of band fanatics will point to a certain album by their faves and say it is flawless, but that's seldom the case. I've found less than twenty albums in 45 years of listening that I thought were perfect from beginning to end, without a bad cut. I don't think there is any REM album that way.
    Agree with this 100%. Every REM album has a few "skips." Every Beatles album has skips, too, IMO. I doubt I could come up with ten albums in the history of rock music that don't have at least one "meh" track amongst the jewels. That might be a fun Sports Bar experiment some time - how many classic albums could we all agree are 100% drek-free? Not many, I'll wager.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Agree with this 100%. Every REM album has a few "skips." Every Beatles album has skips, too, IMO. I doubt I could come up with ten albums in the history of rock music that don't have at least one "meh" track amongst the jewels. That might be a fun Sports Bar experiment some time - how many classic albums could we all agree are 100% drek-free? Not many, I'll wager.
      The first thing that I thought of when you said "drek-free" is Beastie Boys "License to Ill".

Comment

• I love Paul's Boutique too.

License to Ill is just one of those "Right place, right time" albums for me. It was the first time I'd ever heard anything like it and I was hooked.

Still, I'm surprised by how well it's stood up for me. Maybe because I don't like what Hip Hop has evolved into so for me that is the sound of hip hop.

If I had to pick a flaw on it I guess I'd say Girls. The melody is infectious, but to say it's a little misogynistic would be like saying the KKK is a little racist.

Comment

No way 10 would escape this test if we had a group judging.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I'm having a hard time even coming up with one. Maybe What's Going On? by Marvin Gaye or Kind of Blue by Miles Davis? Perhaps Are You Experienced? Maybe Master of Puppets? Paranoid?
            Dark Side Of The Moon immediately comes to mind. London Calling, arguably. Urban Hymns by The Verve, but that's more about my personal taste, and I doubt I could convince any room full of people to agree with me. After that, I'd have to think really hard.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I'm having a hard time even coming up with one. Maybe What's Going On? by Marvin Gaye or Kind of Blue by Miles Davis? Perhaps Are You Experienced? Maybe Master of Puppets? Paranoid?
              Appetite for Destruction, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, if you want to count them since they have so few songs. Piano Man. The Stranger. Probably Born in the USA. Darkness. American Idiot. I can't even say Ten because Evenflow is so overplayed it makes me angry to hear it.

Comment

I agree with you, sheep. I wasn't including only rock albums, or I would agree that ten might be too high.

Comment

• Here are a few I'd argue but I doubt anyone would agree.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
                  Velvet Underground & Nico
                  Van Morrison - Moondance
                  Toots & the Maytalls - Funky Kingston
                  Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
                  Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
                  Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I could also rattle off a bunch of Miles Davis and Fela Kuti albums because they only have 2 songs a piece.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Sgt Pepper's is pretty damned flawless, but you'd probably have a tough time getting people to unanimously call it such due to the inevitable "Sitar or no Sitar" debate.

Comment

• 7 Chinese Brothers would have been the smart pick for me last round, if I wasn't so obsessed with OOT. I also like Reckoning a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        Sgt Pepper's is pretty damned flawless, but you'd probably have a tough time getting people to unanimously call it such due to the inevitable "Sitar or no Sitar" debate.
                        Cue Sheep's impressions of Sgt Peppers in 3, 2, 1....
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          7 Chinese Brothers would have been the smart pick for me last round, if I wasn't so obsessed with OOT. I also like Reckoning a lot.
                          I was debating b/w 7 Chinese Brothers and my pick which I'll go post now.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            8.03 Welcome to the Occupation, Document
                            As I said...I knew it wouldn't make it back to me, but I wanted "my song".

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Cue Sheep's impressions of Sgt Peppers in 3, 2, 1....
                              Replace whatever you consider the weakest tracks with the singles that ended up on Magical Mystery Tour, and you have a perfect Pepper!

Comment

• A few more to rip apart.

Radiohead - OK Computer
                                Old 97s - Too Far to Care
                                Arcade Fire - Funeral
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X