WRGPT signups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    this brings me to something I wonder about... Whenever I'm watching poker on TV, invariably the announcer says at some point "He knows he can't win the pot here if he checks" or something of the sort. It makes me feel like every pot is winnable if I just make the right bet, but that's insane. It's right to just let pots go, right?
    Actually, I would say that it is likely that most every pot can be won, if you bet accordingly. I havent watched much poker lately, but Tom Dwan seems to play the game at the highest level with this philosophy. When Ive watched him he appears to be very good at selecting bet sizes that represent certain stories - often getting players to lay down moderately reasonable hands. Yes he loses a big pot here or there, but in most instances he is in charge of the action. (admittedly - he is almost a maniac, but he seem to understang bet sizes and what opponents are willing to call/bet in a hand).
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Actually, I would say that it is likely that most every pot can be won, if you bet accordingly. I havent watched much poker lately, but Tom Dwan seems to play the game at the highest level with this philosophy. When Ive watched him he appears to be very good at selecting bet sizes that represent certain stories - often getting players to lay down moderately reasonable hands. Yes he loses a big pot here or there, but in most instances he is in charge of the action. (admittedly - he is almost a maniac, but he seem to understang bet sizes and what opponents are willing to call/bet in a hand).
      I think it really depends on the level of the players around though too. Johnny is laying that hand down it it is re-raised all in, ITC isn't. Not to say one is a better player than the other, but I see things that the pros do that I understand and wish I could try, but the guys that are playing in my poker league, or at the 1-2 tables just aren't playing the same game. They are limping and calling raises and playing for the fuck of it or whatever and are willing to see what happens with their 2 pair. They aren't laying down their over pair to my reppped low pair that I hit trips with. They are easy to beat if you wait them out, and easy to bluff when they don't hit, but you aren't bluffing them off of most things they do.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        this brings me to something I wonder about... Whenever I'm watching poker on TV, invariably the announcer says at some point "He knows he can't win the pot here if he checks" or something of the sort. It makes me feel like every pot is winnable if I just make the right bet, but that's insane. It's right to just let pots go, right?
        Yeah ... folding is the most important thing in NL Hold Em. it depends on your image and the quality and table image of your opponent. For certain moves you need a particular table image, the right chip stacks, and the right opponent. Here's two contrasting clips from possibly the two best online players ever ... the second clip in particular ... Phil Galfond is a genius, his instruction videos are must watch for anyone who wants to be a better player:

This is pure brilliance. Durr can only make this play against thoughtful players, who have big stacks of chips in front of them ... he could never make this play against a bad player. He knew Greenstein had a big pair and couldn't continue. Eastgate is sitting with 500K (real money) in front of him ... Durr is basically saying to him ... you wanna play for all that or get out now?

Then this ... another brilliant contrasting play from Phil Galfond ... lays down a FH because he knows he cannot possibly be ahead. He only lost one small bet after the flop amazingly. Eli's face at the end

Comment

• I cant see these at work - but will be looking at these when I get home. I do remember watching a guy lay down his A's full house to quad Kings and everyone was shocked to see it. This was at a WSOP on television - not live. It was an amazing laydown though.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Just picked up another small pot, and I am up to $69,000. That's up $20,000 in the last couple of days.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• LOL - the blinds go up and I get 10/3 off...... slowly bleeding here. With blinds at 1k/2k and $300 ante, this 20k stack is slowly dying.

Comment

• A little Bluefire Poker (Galfond) talking about just folding sometimes.
                It was on youtube so I figured it wasn't a copy-write infringement. I really should start watching some of these rather than playing WoW at night.

Comment

• Full redraw is on now. My table just ended today and is waiting for the rest of the tourney.
                  Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                    Full redraw is on now. My table just ended today and is waiting for the rest of the tourney.
                    same here.

Comment

• We have a potentially big hand going on my table. I of course am out of this, but here is the action:

History of this hand:
                      ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Dealing a new hand
                      ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Everyone antes $300
                      ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Sole blinds $1000
                      ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Puma blinds $2000
                      ! 01/28/13 11:07:51! Judy White calls
                      ! 01/28/13 11:07:51! HowieC folds
                      ! 01/28/13 13:53:47! Flyer folds
                      ! 01/28/13 13:53:47! Paul Stine folds
                      ! 01/28/13 14:01:12! Heckler calls
                      ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! Milo Minderbinder calls
                      ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! baldgriff folds
                      ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! Penguintopia folds
                      ! 01/28/13 16:19:05! Sole calls
                      ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Puma checks

! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Pot right ($13000), flopping/dealing/drawing cards
                      ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! 5 players
                      ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Flopped cards: 10h Qs Jd
                      ! 01/29/13 10:26:26! Sole checks
                      ! Pot Size: $13000
                      +-+----------------------------+--------+--------+------+----+--------+
                      |#| Name |Bankroll| Action |Status|Pot#|Pot Size|
                      1| Sole | 62200 | 2300 | | | |
                      2|> Puma | 95700 | 2300 | | | |
                      3| Judy White | 90350 | 2300 | | | |
                      4| HowieC | 28500 | 300 |folded| | |
                      5| Flyer | 22100 | 300 |folded| | |
                      6| Paul Stine | 34150 | 300 |folded| | |
                      7| Heckler | 103100 | 2300 | | | |
                      8| Milo Minderbinder | 33600 | 2300 | | | |
                      9| baldgriff | 21500 | 300 |folded| | |
                      10|D Penguintopia | 110900 | 300 |folded| | |

Comment

• with it being the blinds this feels like a bunch of checks, or a bet/fold or a bet/raise/fold. I'd be surprised to see it go big.

Comment

• There are 5 guys in this pot, so there could be some drawing here.

Comment

There are 5 guys in this pot, so there could be some drawing here.
                            Duh! My bad. RIF I guess.

Comment

We have a potentially big hand going on my table. I of course am out of this, but here is the action:

History of this hand:
                              ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Dealing a new hand
                              ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Everyone antes $300
                              ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Sole blinds $1000
                              ! 01/28/13 10:48:16! Puma blinds $2000
                              ! 01/28/13 11:07:51! Judy White calls
                              ! 01/28/13 11:07:51! HowieC folds
                              ! 01/28/13 13:53:47! Flyer folds
                              ! 01/28/13 13:53:47! Paul Stine folds
                              ! 01/28/13 14:01:12! Heckler calls
                              ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! Milo Minderbinder calls
                              ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! baldgriff folds
                              ! 01/28/13 15:49:21! Penguintopia folds
                              ! 01/28/13 16:19:05! Sole calls
                              ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Puma checks

! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Pot right ($13000), flopping/dealing/drawing cards
                              ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! 5 players
                              ! 01/29/13 02:46:41! Flopped cards: 10h Qs Jd
                              ! 01/29/13 10:26:26! Sole checks
                              ! Pot Size: $13000
                              |#| Name |Bankroll| Action |Status|Pot#|Pot Size|
                              1| Sole | 62200 | 2300 | | | |
                              2|> Puma | 95700 | 2300 | | | |
                              3| Judy White | 90350 | 2300 | | | |
                              4| HowieC | 28500 | 300 |folded| | |
                              5| Flyer | 22100 | 300 |folded| | |
                              6| Paul Stine | 34150 | 300 |folded| | |
                              7| Heckler | 103100 | 2300 | | | |
                              8| Milo Minderbinder | 33600 | 2300 | | | |
                              9| baldgriff | 21500 | 300 |folded| | |
                              10|D Penguintopia | 110900 | 300 |folded| | |

And the 9d hits the turn. There were 2 callers of a $5k flop bet.... I wonder if anyone is sitting AK to someones KQ....

Comment

And the 9d hits the turn. There were 2 callers of a $5k flop bet.... I wonder if anyone is sitting AK to someones KQ....
                                or someone has J10 and really didn't want to see that 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X