The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    That's the problem no one thinks they are. Sometimes you have to confront them.
    +1...
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

One issue with polygamy is that it has historically been deeply intertwined with forced marriages, child brides and general subjugation of women. Despite those who insist that marriage has always been defined the same way throughout history, it's not at all true. Marriage has evolved dramatically, both socially and legally, particularly in the developed world, to mitigate those aspects of the marriage institution that have been used historically to strip rights and protections away from women. Ending polygamous marriage was actually one of the earliest evolutions in that direction. Now, we socially and legally support age-of-consent laws, opposed forced marriages, have eliminated laws that make married women chattel, and have divorce laws designed to permit women to escape abusive marriages, and matrimony and child support laws to financially protect women who wish to end their marriage. (Yes, those laws can be used by men, too, but they've largely been structured in the US and elsewhere to protect the rights of women.) Plural marriage, even if you could purge the aspects of compelled marriage and underage marriage from its practice, create significant problems with respect to matters of divorce and attendant questions of property distribution, matrimony and child support. Gay marriage of two people, on the other hand, fits in just perfectly with existing laws around divorce, community property, spousal and child support, etc.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          "Because marriage is about TWO people - any two people."
          "Ok, but I thought it was two opposite-sex people until a minute ago, and that was narrow-minded. But limiting this to two people is NOT narrow-minded?"
          This is actually very similar to Santorum's argument in the infamous "man on dog" interview.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I don't think so. Current and likely future marriage law is about people. Adding anything other than people seems like much more of a stretch to me, though it at least does broach the fact that there ARE limits.
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I don't think so. Current and likely future marriage law is about people. Adding anything other than people seems like much more of a stretch to me, though it at least does broach the fact that there ARE limits.
              And those limits will be ultimately decided by society, which has, over time, shifted to include homosexual couples, who far outnumber polygamists. Besides the legal quagmires that would preclude welcoming polygamists into the marriage circle, there likely will never be a sizable enough minority to advocate on their behalf.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

While I could never see it working for myself, am I the only one here that has no problem with polygamy? I wouldn't want to "share" my wife with another man, (read: Fresno Bob) nor would I want to be with a woman that didn't feel possessive enough about me to want to "share" me, but I can imagine that there are people for whom this might me a desirable situation. I also don't want to marry a man, but I can see how someone else may want to. Does it really matter all that much to whom some people want to marry?

In all fairness, many Mormon women were early leaders in the suffrage movement. Their main contention was that a normal marriage puts an unfair burden on the woman who is shackled to the home with the responsibilities of the house and children, whereas a woman in a polygamous marriage has the opportunity to improve herself through education or whatever personal hobbies she may have. They believed that a polygamous marriage allowed the woman to actually exist outside of the marriage, because there were always plenty of people around to pick up the slack when she was off doing something for herself. I'm not saying I buy this argument 100%, but there is at the very least some food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Yeah, I don't really have a problem with polygamy among consenting adults.
                  Have you run this by the wife yet?
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Two wives ... two women to nag at you ... no thanks?

Comment

I read that the Chinese ideogram for "trouble" consists of two women under one roof. Whether this is true or not I'll leave to our resident scholars in Chinese. If it's false, it's still a good story.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Two wives ... two women to nag at you ... no thanks?
                        That's always been my thought as well, ****e, if there's two, then they outnumber you, imagine those arguements! I know that if anything ever happened to my current wife, I'd never get married again.
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          That's always been my thought as well, ****e, if there's two, then they outnumber you, imagine those arguements! I know that if anything ever happened to my current wife, I'd never get married again.
                          Imagine the cattiness if one thinks you are paying more attention to the other ... and the lies you'd have to tell to keep them both happy ... just too many balls to keep in the air. Sounds like a miserable life to me ... the sh!tty parts of married life x2.
                          Last edited by johnnya24; 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

There is such a thing as the law of demising returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              My thoughts exactly.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

What happens when a convicted polygamist is released from jail ... he just goes back home and continues as before? Do social services get involved if there are children?

Comment

Working...
                                X