X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    So IOW, whoever doesn't post in this thread is a bigot
    Sadly we do have a few of them.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
      Sadly we do have a few of them.
      Come on, name names.

"Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Posting in order to renew my Non-Bigot exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          We all love turtles in here
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            Posting in order to renew my Non-Bigot exemption.
            LOL. Don't you like musicals? Then there's no way you're a bigot. Well except maybe when it comes to good taste. ;-)

Comment

... and in a slightly related story:

Alan Turing Refused Pardon For Gay Sex Act Conviction in 1952

Government refuses to grant a pardon because (a) the law says it's if an act was considered a crime at the time of sentencing, then a pardon should not be awarded, or (b) they don't want to have to pardon 1000's of others who may be in the same situation, or have been convicted of other outdated laws.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                Come on, name names.

That's OK, they know who they are
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                  LOL. Don't you like musicals? Then there's no way you're a bigot. Well except maybe when it comes to good taste. ;-)
                  Touche!

Or was it Douche! I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                    That's OK, they know who they are
                    That's the problem no one thinks they are. Sometimes you have to confront them.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      Touche!

Or was it Douche! I'm not sure.
                      LOL nice.

Comment

Damn iPad, it's next to impossible to post pics of lipstick lesbians kissing from it.....ok, I like the skater dykes too.....
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

from the peanut gallery, yet has a bag of popcorn ready:

assuming we settle in completely on marriage is any two people who want to sign up (and I will lose no sleep over this change).

- What would be the rationale for not allowing three people to enter into a marriage together?

"Because marriage is about TWO people - any two people."
                          "Ok, but I thought it was two opposite-sex people until a minute ago, and that was narrow-minded. But limiting this to two people is NOT narrow-minded?"

It reminds me a little of the health care mandate of having to buy insurance - if you support the concept, you need that revenue. But since when does the government get to force you to buy ANYTHING (car insurance doesn't count, obviously) - and do we really want to go down that road? I don't know.

I totally get why gay couples want the same marital status. But are they going to then shut the door behind them - no three-person weddings?

Mostly philosophical stuff here, obviously. I think the pro-gay marriage folks are getting off too easy here.

Where does the line get drawn - and why?

Those who pushed for status quo on basis of opposite genders are bigots, but insisting on only 2 people being in a marriage is perfectly tolerant? Discuss.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

JJ, what are you talking about regarding government not forcing us to buy anything? Your exception for car insurance is the most blatant contradiction, but what are taxes but forced payments to fund our government?

As for your comparison of gay marriage to polygamy, on a personal level, I have no problem with either. However, from a societal perspective, linking two lives is complicated enough, increasing that number beyond two would make family law exponentially more complex.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Well, plenty of people don't pay any federal income taxes.
                              And if you want to live off your own land, how much taxes are you paying?
                              Car insurance is not a contradiction because if you don't buy a car, you don't have to pay any car insurance.

"As for your comparison of gay marriage to polygamy, on a personal level, I have no problem with either. However, from a societal perspective, linking two lives is complicated enough, increasing that number beyond two would make family law exponentially more complex."

I understand your point, but opponents of same-sex marriage also said that traditional marriage was complicated enough, etc.

Seems like sometimes, people want to say that gaining their own rights is no problem, but yeah, maybe the next step is too far.
                              Seems a little convenient.

Overall, I agree with you, but not sure I could win on merits against someone advocating for 3-person marriage.

I think it's clear that I don't have a firm agenda here; I do hope to walk this through until I see why one barrier must fall but the next one should remain. I'm seeing that same agenda, one step shorter, collapsing upon itself. How do we get comfortable with the exact dividing line?

separate by race, no
                              separate by gender, no
                              separate by number - whoa, of course we do. It's only right...
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

While I doubt that allowing gay marriage is the first step towards people having 7 wives or marrying their livestock, why should we care? Marriage itself is a pretty outdated patriarchal tradition in need of a massive overhaul.

Also, people would never be allowed to marry multiple people or animals because it would create too many possible tax loopholes. Pretty straightforward.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X