Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
    This is a disingenuous argument. It was racists who happened to be in government that allowed Jim crow to exist and it was NON racists in government that ended it. And yes, until mankind automatically defers to doing the right thing, there needs to be regulations to make sure the right thing is done.

I mean unless you want to live in a Mad Max world.
    I want the government to leave people alone and deal with the things that they should be taking care of like - Infrastructure and Strong Defense.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      Do you really believe this or are you trying to stir up trouble?

I don't remember - what kind of job do you have or where do you work? does this apply to your daily business?

I do compliance work in the securities industry.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        I want the government to leave people alone and deal with the things that they should be taking care of like - Infrastructure and Strong Defense.
        Well you're living in the wrong century if that's your wish. It'll never be that way unless there's a zombie apocalypse

Comment

Well you're living in the wrong century if that's your wish. It'll never be that way unless there's a zombie apocalypse
          That may be, but as I am libertarian and value small government and peoples individual rights. You do what you want to do as long as it doesnt impinge on my right to do what I would like.

Government should stay out of my pocketbook, religious beliefs and household.

Comment

I do compliance work in the securities industry.
            thanks

Comment

That may be, but as I am libertarian and value small government and peoples individual rights. You do what you want to do as long as it doesnt impinge on my right to do what I would like.

Government should stay out of my pocketbook, religious beliefs and household.
              And yet you have a job enforcing govt regulations?

Comment

And yet you have a job enforcing govt regulations?
                I have a job that pays me a wage. Im almost 50 years old and still have no idea what I really want to be when I grow up, so I freely choose to labor in a field doing compliance to ensure that reps dont take advantage of uninformed investors. While I want business to be able to serve whomever they would like - the other person should have a reasonable understanding of what they are purchasing so that they dont get ripped off.

I dont "enforce" gov't regulations - I ensure transactions are not going to be called out for later enforcement actions.

Improper sales in my mind is like stealing - which is not a mutually consensual transaction. So I do what I can to ensure that the transactions are reasonable and are to the benefit of the person making the purchase. Yes, I have declined purchases in the past - because the purchase was not suitable to the client.

You can call it semantics - but often my role is to act on behalf of the client.

Comment

I have a job that pays me a wage. Im almost 50 years old and still have no idea what I really want to be when I grow up, so I freely choose to labor in a field doing compliance to ensure that reps dont take advantage of uninformed investors. While I want business to be able to serve whomever they would like - the other person should have a reasonable understanding of what they are purchasing so that they dont get ripped off.

I dont "enforce" gov't regulations - I ensure transactions are not going to be called out for later enforcement actions.

Improper sales in my mind is like stealing - which is not a mutually consensual transaction. So I do what I can to ensure that the transactions are reasonable and are to the benefit of the person making the purchase. Yes, I have declined purchases in the past - because the purchase was not suitable to the client.

You can call it semantics - but often my role is to act on behalf of the client.
                  Kind of like the Government.

Comment

Then in your world, food and water should also be free as it is the most basic of necessities. Yet we require people to purchase their breakfast, lunch and dinner along with the drinks that accompany those meals. We also generally allow restaurants determine who they will or will not serve.
                    i've stayed out of this argument, but this one bothers me a bit.

we do expect (nay, demand), that the "government" (which is some combination of local and federal) supply us with clean tap water. the SDWA ensures it (as enforced by the EPA). see Flint, Michigan.

why do we do that? under your premise, why shouldn't folks have to sanitize their own water supply, or pay for it out of their own pocket (outside of taxes)?
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      i've stayed out of this argument, but this one bothers me a bit.

we do expect (nay, demand), that the "government" (which is some combination of local and federal) supply us with clean tap water. the SDWA ensures it (as enforced by the EPA). see Flint, Michigan.

why do we do that? under your premise, why shouldn't folks have to sanitize their own water supply, or pay for it out of their own pocket (outside of taxes)?
                      I know I am going back a number of years, but folks in the past did have to sanitize their own water supplies to ensure it was safe for consumption. Currently clean water and paying a tax for it is necessary as part of the infrastructure and safety of the country (things that I have stated the government should be used for).

You have cherry picked my statement. It was in response to someone saying: If you continually deprive people of basic necessities , they will find a way to get them--Survival instinct outstrips lawfulness.

I was merely pointing out in my example that we as a society charge people for the most basic of necessities (food and drink) without batting an eye. Yet expect medical treatment be given to everyone for as minimal a cost as possible.

Comment

I was merely pointing out in my example that we as a society charge people for the most basic of necessities (food and drink) without batting an eye. Yet expect medical treatment be given to everyone for as minimal a cost as possible.
                        You do realize we have the most inefficient health care system in the industrialized world right? This, along with many of your statements in this thread, are just bizarre, as in, detached from reality.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Thanks DMT.

SO we should be giving people free food and water to cover their most basic necessities?

I know we disagree on much of this - but I have never said you are/were bizarre or detached from reality.

Comment

I know I am going back a number of years, but folks in the past did have to sanitize their own water supplies to ensure it was safe for consumption. Currently clean water and paying a tax for it is necessary as part of the infrastructure and safety of the country (things that I have stated the government should be used for).

You have cherry picked my statement. It was in response to someone saying: If you continually deprive people of basic necessities , they will find a way to get them--Survival instinct outstrips lawfulness.

And again you're ignoring the point that we aren't talking about people who can afford things, but rather those who can't... And we DO provide the basic necessities at low cost or for free to those people.

Please act like we're actually paying attention here.

Comment

Thanks DMT.

SO we should be giving people free food and water to cover their most basic necessities?

I know we disagree on much of this - but I have never said you are/were bizarre or detached from reality.
                              You are obviously aware of food stamps, so why are you making these statements that are simply not true? WE DO provide food and water to those who can't afford it. Why are you talking about how society operated 100 years ago to make your argument? These are bizarre responses to me.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I admit I am coming into this with minimal context since I haven't been following the thread much, and this may be baldgriff's point, but... don't we kind of do this? I mean, we don't do it explicitly by dropping off a crate of oatmeal and a drum of water, but we give people who don't have money enough credit at supermarkets to buy food via food stamps/SNAP/whatever, and we give the farmers money so that their food can be artificially cheap so more people can afford it (I'm sure that's not the actual reason cited, it's to reduce dependency on foreign food or something, but that's one effect).

There are a lot of things that individual people don't have the time or inclination to research that we currently leave up to the feds. Though I may not agree with the exact way some of these are done, I also don't want to have to depend on "market forces" to keep chicken fortified with sawdust off my plate or unsafe drugs off the market.
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X