Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Wait, which is it? Are those poor insurance companies not receiving appropriate compensation or are they charging whatever the hell they want?
    It is a downfall of the program to "THINK" that that insurance companies should or would not get compensated and potentially take advantage of the fact that they are the sole suppliers in the mandated market.

By creating a market where everyone has to participate they can charge whatever they want
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• My point is this - The insurance providers are the suppliers in a mandated market.

if you dont like my grammar - my apologies.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Why I'm wading into this I'm not sure, but here I go.

MNSure is on the verge of collapse.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/30...kes-confirmed/

“These rising insurance rates are unsustainable and unfair,” Rothman said. “This is a real emergency situation.”
        Rothman is the Commerce Commissioner for the State of Minnesota. So if he's saying it, I have a tendecy to believe him to be accurate.

As for 2017, I'm looking at a 66% increase in my insurance premium, if I decide to stay with my current Bronze Plan, which is really a catastrophic policy in another name. My deductible for my wife and myself is $13,000. My wife and I don't access the insurance unless absolutely needed. Unfortunately, my wife had to have some surgery for kidney stones in the last month, so it has been nice to have a safety net, but it's going to take me years (probably decades to pay that debt off).

Since the inception of the ACA, MN has lost two insurance providers in the exchange because they are losing too much money which only makes sense when you have a limited number of people accessing those policies and they are people who, for the most part, were uninsurable previously. So now, my wife and I who are very healthy people are mixed into a pool with those people who were uninsurable previously. On a side note, I'm glad people with "previous conditions" can access insurance, but when the pool of people is so small, those that are healthy are still carrying too big of a burden.

Here's the great kicker for 2017 in Minnesota, the four insurance companies that are left in the MNSure have asked and been granted the opportunity to put a cap on their policies, so when one is full, it comes off the exchange. How the heck is that fair? I wonder if it is even legal.

So no, this is not all roses for everyone.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Im saying that for the administration not to understand that the price of health care would go up, in a market that is mandated, was at best naive.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Im saying that for the administration not to understand that the price of health care would go up, in a market that is mandated, was at best naive.
            I think this analysis misses the important market truth that health insurance costs were rising materially every year prior to the passage of Obamacare. The rate of growth in the cost of health insurance has actually slowed under Obamacare.

Republicans say the average family health insurance premium has increased by $4,154 under President Obama. That's right -- and it's a much slower rate of growth than under President George W. Bush.

Comment

• It may have from a national perspective - as you can see from ITC's example that just isnt how its working from more local perspective. Ones view of this policy is ultimately decided based upon how it hits your pocket book. Creating a market that is so totally and completely one sided is insane.

Comment

• I'd much prefer a government-run single-payer system that would make health insurance a public good rather than subjecting it to market constraints, but I don't know that such a system is politically viable in the US.

Comment

• Because our government does such a good job of regulating and enforcing.

Comment

Because our government does such a good job of regulating and enforcing.
                    Our government does pretty darn well administering Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, actually. We just need to pay for it.

Comment

Because our government does such a good job of regulating and enforcing.
                      I've been on multiple government programs and in the military, never had an issue with the way things are run.

Comment

It may have from a national perspective - as you can see from ITC's example that just isnt how its working from more local perspective. Ones view of this policy is ultimately decided based upon how it hits your pocket book. Creating a market that is so totally and completely one sided is insane.
                        Again, here's what's good about ACA, and why it needs to be saved and tweaked, rather than scrapped...

Number one, insurance companies can't deny you coverage because of a pre-existing condition.

Number two, no lifetime limits, which is a big deal if you have serious health problems.

Number three, women can't be charged more than men for our health insurance.

Number four, if you're under 26, and your parents have a policy, you can be on that policy until the age of 26.

Those are pretty damn important things...and well worth saving. It's a matter of getting Congress to actually act together to strengthen the law, rather than have one branch of the government constantly trying to scrap the whole thing just so the Insurance companies can hike the rates even further.

Number three, women can't be charged more than men for our health insurance, which is the way it used to be before the Affordable Care Act. Number four, if you're under 26, and your parents have a policy, you can be on that policy until the age of 26, something that didn't happen before.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• A Democrat Governor says the ACA is no longer afford. I can't believe it. Thank God I have insurance, as I think I'm gonna have a heart attack.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/12...ble-obamacare/

Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton on Wednesday said that the increase in health insurance costs in Minnesota highlights “some serious blemishes right now and serious deficiencies” in federal health care overhaul law known as Obamacare.

“Ultimately … the reality is the Affordable Care Act is no longer affordable for an increasing number of people,” the DFL governor, who signed the state law ushering in the Affordable Care Act in Minnesota, said Wednesday.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            A Democrat Governor says the ACA is no longer afford. I can't believe it. Thank God I have insurance, as I think I'm gonna have a heart attack.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/12...ble-obamacare/
                            But the problem is that the GOP just says "I told you so", and offers no solution other than dismantling the whole program. Which would take us back to the time when Millions were without insurance at all. There ARE ways of fixing it, even temporarily, while a real solution is found. Dayton outlined a few fixes, and hopefully, they'll actually get that done in the next session. THAT should be the state priority at this point, not getting a new bleepin' hockey arena for Frostbite Falls...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Yeah, health care is a prime example of the private sector not working.

Oh, and from B-Fly's factcheck link: "the average premium for single coverage through employers has gone up 28 percent “under Obama” That’s right again, but much lower than the growth of individual premiums during Bush’s first six years. That increase was 72 percent."
                              strange, mine didnt go up much until 2011. Since then prices have noticeably risen and coverage has dropped.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• This graph says it all.

CvOx5rdVYAIr4et.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X