No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Detective is really something special. Best thing on TV since the departure of Breaking Bad (that includes series 3 of Sherlock)

Klondike was just OK. Probably limited and constrained by the fact it was based on the truth, but so many of the story lines were just left hanging, with only curt end-trailer summaries to wind them up. Lot's of anti-climaxes.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      I finally got around to watching the first season of The Newsroom this weekend. Good stuff - extremely well acted, Jeff Daniels is brilliant, all the secondary characters are excellent. I'm still trying to figure our if it's disingenuous by portraying McAvoy as a disavowed repub ... he sure feels more left than that ... maybe the second season will help with that ...
      I think he's a kevin seitzer republican.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        True Detective is really something special. Best thing on TV since the departure of Breaking Bad (that includes series 3 of Sherlock)
        it's very slow, but I am hanging on every moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Is this the new show on HBO with Woody Harrelson?
          Yea, it's gotten positive reviews from everyone I know who is watching it. You gotta figure it would be good if they got Woody & Wooderson on board.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            it's very slow, but I am hanging on every moment.
            Yeah, the music and the setting (Louisiana) really adds to the suspense. The dialogue and interaction between the two main characters is outstanding. They seem to genuinely hate everything about each other, but it doesn't affect their working relationship or their very awkward social interactions. The casual nature of their arguments is really strange considering they are really spitefully attacking each other's beliefs ... then 20 seconds later ... back to work, business as usual.

There is a real feeling of impending doom, especially with the way they have structured the show (the flash forward interviews). It's suggesting something really bad is going to happen, but you gotta wonder what that can be, considering we are already dealing with a deranged serial killer.

I'm avoiding all websites, reviews and details. Even hearing there could be a season 2 would be a bit of a spoiler at this point.

Comment

Yeah, the music and the setting (Louisiana) really adds to the suspense. The dialogue and interaction between the two main characters is outstanding. They seem to genuinely hate everything about each other, but it doesn't affect their working relationship or their very awkward social interactions. The casual nature of their arguments is really strange considering they are really spitefully attacking each other's beliefs ... then 20 seconds later ... back to work, business as usual.

There is a real feeling of impending doom, especially with the way they have structured the show (the flash forward interviews). It's suggesting something really bad is going to happen, but you gotta wonder what that can be, considering we are already dealing with a deranged serial killer.

I'm avoiding all websites, reviews and details. Even hearing there could be a season 2 would be a bit of a spoiler at this point.
              I believe this is going to be an anthology series, so if there is a season two, it will be a different story

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                I believe this is going to be an anthology series, so if there is a season two, it will be a different story
                Yeah, I think they are going American Horror story with it. Different case, different detectives. On going series of season long cases.

Comment

• Sons of Anarchy started off well in seasons 1 and 2, then just gradually got more and more contrived. By the end of series 4 I was forcing myself to finish it. Someone please tell me seasons 5 and 6 get better.

A few observations:

Charlie Hunnam (who I didn't realize was English until now) is really lame in a firefight. I can't stop laughing when he's chasing someone down with a gun. He prances around, fixes his hair, and shoots like he's in a 50's B-movie ... I half expect his gun to go pee-yong. Also his character gets more and more stupid and contradictory as the series goes on ... one second he's conflicted about minor criminal stuff, the next he's torturing and murdering people for fun.

Are Harley's really appropriate vehicles for high speed "car chases" ... they have the freaking turning arcs and mobility of a oil tanker.

Irish angle rant:

Spoiler!

Ray McKinnon was the best thing about seasons 4 (he was amazing in Deadwood also ... the preacher who was losing his mind). This guys needs his own TV show. Agent Stahl and this guy have been the best thing about the series so far.

Last edited by johnnya24; 02-07-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Watched episode 5 of The Fall on netflix and was excited to see episode 6 as I thought it was finally ramping up.. only to find out that there were only 5 episodes in the season.

Comment

Sons of Anarchy started off well in seasons 1 and 2, then just gradually got more and more contrived. By the end of series 4 I was forcing myself to finish it. Someone please tell me seasons 5 and 6 get better.[/IMG]
                      It doesn't.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Managed to get 5 episodes into season 2 of House of Cards. Top drawer stuff. Maybe doesn't have the punch of season 1 when FU was still wannabe, but intriguing nonetheless.

"The next episode will start in 15 seconds" ... that's like crack cocaine.

Comment

• True Detective on HBO is the best new show I've seen in ages
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Finished Season 1 of Orange Is the New Black. The second half of it was incredible, especially the last three episodes. Season 2 will be posted June 6.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Finished Season 1 of Orange Is the New Black. The second half of it was incredible, especially the last three episodes. Season 2 will be posted June 6.
                              The way it subtly changed tone was brilliant. Top show. 2013 was quite a year for new shows:

Rectify
                              House of Cards
                              Orange Is the New Black
                              The Returned
                              Hannibal
                              Top of the Lake
                              Master of Sex (yet to watch, but rave reviews throughout)
                              Broadchurch (yet to see, but all anyone was talking about when it aired)

Comment

• finally got around to Klondike. Nice cast, great setting, but I really didn't care too much about the story. Maybe if it was better developed, but there seemed to be so much more that could have been going on for the main story line to be a fairly generic murder mystery.

Comment

Working...
                                X