Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I should have more credibility as I am willing to listen to a much wider variety of music than most, including you

I am inclusive rather than exclusive. People like yourself and many of the others here are the ones I have a hard time taking seriously when it comes to musical credibility because of the derision heaped upon certain genres of music. Or perhaps you think exclusivity is better than accepting a wider range of musical styles when it comes to credibility?
    Did you not read that I am a music snob to myself. I am not in competition with you. I do not care if you think you have more credibility than me. You judge you, I judge me. We do not have to agree.

This was not written (said) with any riled up feelings or intention. Just matter of fact.

Comment

Que sera, sera
      By Doris Day? That would be way better than some of the shlock you have posted.

Comment

• Gaelic Storm: one of my favorite bands:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Did you not read that I am a music snob to myself. I am not in competition with you. I do not care if you think you have more credibility than me. You judge you, I judge me. We do not have to agree.

This was not written (said) with any riled up feelings or intention. Just matter of fact.
          Nah, you took a shot. admit it. Or else why did you even post anything? You had to tell me I had no credibility with you. That doesn't bother me, but why did you need to post it other than to rile me up a bit?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Nah, you took a shot. admit it. Or else why did you even post anything? You had to tell me I had no credibility with you. That doesn't bother me, but why did you need to post it other than to rile me up a bit?
            Nope, just having a discussion.

I specifically put in the last part as I didn't want you to think I was trying to rile you up a bit.

My daughters don't have credibility with me when it comes to music as we do not enjoy the same types of music.

Comment

Gaelic Storm: one of my favorite bands:

I will be seeing them in Dec. Now how hard was that?
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                You like Pop boy bands (I didn't listen)?

Comment

Haha...no they're a Celtic band.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Pretty easy as a matter of fact!

Comment

It's not "Gay lick" Storm

Too bad for you. They are excellent!

But hey I have no cred here

Comment

It's not "Gay lick" Storm

Too bad for you. They are excellent!

But hey I have no cred here
                        Go answer my question regarding 7 pins and starting point on the approach. That is where you have cred.

Comment

• I have to go with Mith on this to a large degree. There's nothing inherently wrong with liking pop music. I do. My wife is sometimes surprised at how much I enjoy a well crafted pop tune.

But I don't like just any pop music. As a general rule, I like older pop music more than that being produced today. I think there was golden era of pop music in the late 60s and early 70s, when there was a greater variety of excellent pop music. There is still some great pop music, but not as much variety. It seems that a fairly small group of artists, writers and producers are involved in half the music played on the radio today.

Where I have a problem, Mith, is your continued use of intentionally inflammatory language like "hipster" and "music snob" to describe those who don't share your tastes. You say it is a joke, but it doesn't seem very jokey over the course of many posts over time. You're not going to gain any converts that way. And there is an argument to be made that someone who likes everything has no taste, just as there is an argument that a person who thinks everything is funny has no sense of humor.

One thing I would really be interested in seeing is how you define pop music for purposes of your posts. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was just thinking about what I meant in my post, and how I drew the line somewhere before it reached some other category. I think there can clearly be soul/pop and R&B/pop and country/pop and rock/pop. The pop music charts have been full of these. I guess there is hip hop/pop. Do you want to chip in here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            I have to go with Mith on this to a large degree. There's nothing inherently wrong with liking pop music. I do. My wife is sometimes surprised at how much I enjoy a well crafted pop tune.

But I don't like just any pop music. As a general rule, I like older pop music more than that being produced today. I think there was golden era of pop music in the late 60s and early 70s, when there was a greater variety of excellent pop music. There is still some great pop music, but not as much variety. It seems that a fairly small group of artists, writers and producers are involved in half the music played on the radio today.

Where I have a problem, Mith, is your continued use of intentionally inflammatory language like "hipster" and "music snob" to describe those who don't share your tastes. You say it is a joke, but it doesn't seem very jokey over the course of many posts over time. You're not going to gain any converts that way. And there is an argument to be made that someone who likes everything has no taste, just as there is an argument that a person who thinks everything is funny has no sense of humor.

One thing I would really be interested in seeing is how you define pop music for purposes of your posts. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was just thinking about what I meant in my post, and how I drew the line somewhere before it reached some other category. I think there can clearly be soul/pop and R&B/pop and country/pop and rock/pop. The pop music charts have been full of these. I guess there is hip hop/pop. Do you want to chip in here?
                            I define Pop music for this discussion as anything that is Top 40 as strictly "POP". No other genre involved. And let's face it, music that is pretty much geared towards females, and to narrow it down even further, young females.

As for my use of "inflammatory language" I am not trying to convert anyone. I use the terms good-naturedly as the guys here know they are snobbish when it comes to music, heck some admit it. Just refer to the comments directed towards me if you want inflammatory

And the comment about those who like everything have no taste etc.. is pretty ridiculous. And for the record I don't like everything I ever hear. My comment was that I like pretty much all genres of music, not every song I ever hear. Big Difference.

Comment

I define Pop music for this discussion as anything that is Top 40 as strictly "POP". No other genre involved. And let's face it, music that is pretty much geared towards females, and to narrow it down even further, young females.
                              I cannot say how accurate that definition is these days, since I don't track the Top 40, but it is certainly not an accurate definition historically. It sounds fairly close to "bubblegum". But if you look at the Billboard singles charts through the 60s and 70s, you'll see tons of great pop songs that are not geared toward kids, at least little girls.

For driving back and forth to work, I keep my CD changer loaded with discs I've burned with songs from my CD collection, most of which were pop hits. Some are more recent, most are less recent. They incorporate other genres. The Supremes bring soul. Buffalo Springfield brings folk rock. Tony Joe White brings swamp rock. Wilson Pickett brings the R&B. No Archies. No 1910 Fruitgum Company. No Paper Lace.

One of my issues with a lot of today's "pop" is that it is too formulaic and too synthesized, especially the latter. I want to hear real instruments played by real musicians. That's why I also stay away from today's "hey, we got guitars for Christmas!" bands.
                              Last edited by ; 11-12-2015, 12:33 PM. Reason: add "at least litte girls"

Comment

• Everyone is saying "I Know What I Like" so here you go. Peter Gabriel in drag! And Phil Collins with a full head of hair! Holy crap i never knew what a freak Gabriel was lol!

Last edited by madducks; 11-15-2015, 10:38 AM.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X