Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    You don't like good old fashioned rock and roll? You don't like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, etc??

I didn't realize the extent that listening to the music of the 1990's and 2000's ruined people's tastes
    I appreciate these guys' historical contributions to popular music - they were real rock'n'roll pioneers back in the day. Do I enjoy listening to them now? Not really. I have a pretty sizeable music collection, and it contains almost nothing by these guys, other than the odd track from a soundtrack or compilation. Artisitically and creatively, the ball has been moved so far forward since their time that I don't really find their music interesting anymore outside of the historical context. It's pretty basic. Now, if I had been a kid in the 50's, and all I had heard prior to Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry was Frank Sinatra and Perry Como and Mack The Knife and Sixteen Tons, I would doubtlessly have been blown away, and would have spent every last nickel in my possession to buy every Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry record I could get my hands on. The advent of Dylan and Rubber Soul expanded the possibilities of popular music such that Peggy Sue and Maybellene became a little... quaint. It's almost inevitable in any artistic endeavor - if you are an artist with enough talent to expand the consciousness and the parameters of your field, you are opening doors for others who will ultimately leave your own contributions looking a little pale in comparison. There are a exceptions, but not many.

In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes. If you ain't rocking to these, what's wrong with you?
    I can appreciate Holly, Cochrane, and Berry in their historical context. Take away that context, and what are you left with? Dave Edmunds, pretty much. It's musically well-crafted, I suppose, but his type of revivalism isn't typically very interesting to me. I've never understood the critical acclaim accorded to Dave Edmunds - I suspect he stirs up nostalgia for aging critics who miss the days when they were teenagers going crazy over Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Brinsley Scharz are great too. Nick Lowe's band before he went off on his own. No time to post a song.
      How funny that we cover both XTC and Nick Lowe in the same thread. I have all of Lowe's music. He's one of those underrated geniuses that always gets overlooked. His new album, That Old Magic is quite good. Very slow, but good.

I saw him play in SF a few months ago, and he was great. The opening act for him was perhaps the best new act I've seen in many many years: JD McPherson. If you like roots rock, you'll dig him. He just recently signed with a big label, so you should start hearing him get advertised a bit more.

DOWNLOAD THIS TRACK FREE: http://bzz.is/northsidegaldownload"Signs & Signifiers" available now on Rounder Records!iTunes: smarturl.it/JDSigns_iTunesAmazon: s...

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        I appreciate these guys' historical contributions to popular music - they were real rock'n'roll pioneers back in the day. Do I enjoy listening to them now? Not really. I have a pretty sizeable music collection, and it contains almost nothing by these guys, other than the odd track from a soundtrack or compilation. Artisitically and creatively, the ball has been moved so far forward since their time that I don't really find their music interesting anymore outside of the historical context. It's pretty basic. Now, if I had been a kid in the 50's, and all I had heard prior to Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry was Frank Sinatra and Perry Como and Mack The Knife and Sixteen Tons, I would doubtlessly have been blown away, and would have spent every last nickel in my possession to buy every Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry record I could get my hands on. The advent of Dylan and Rubber Soul expanded the possibilities of popular music such that Peggy Sue and Maybellene became a little... quaint. It's almost inevitable in any artistic endeavor - if you are an artist with enough talent to expand the consciousness and the parameters of your field, you are opening doors for others who will ultimately leave your own contributions looking a little pale in comparison. There are a exceptions, but not many.

I can appreciate Holly, Cochrane, and Berry in their historical context. Take away that context, and what are you left with? Dave Edmunds, pretty much. It's musically well-crafted, I suppose, but his type of revivalism isn't typically very interesting to me. I've never understood the critical acclaim accorded to Dave Edmunds - I suspect he stirs up nostalgia for aging critics who miss the days when they were teenagers going crazy over Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.
        I agree with your comments about music expanding artistically and creatively, only to a certain point. Sometimes the basics are better than what follows. Case in point, the video you posted a few posts ago, violet burning. It's an ok song but it pales compared to Edmunds, Lowe and company in my opinion

music is the most subjective thing up for discussion and everyone has different tastes..so I am not about to dismiss someone's musical likes.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          How funny that we cover both XTC and Nick Lowe in the same thread. I have all of Lowe's music. He's one of those underrated geniuses that always gets overlooked. His new album, That Old Magic is quite good. Very slow, but good.

I saw him play in SF a few months ago, and he was great. The opening act for him was perhaps the best new act I've seen in many many years: JD McPherson. If you like roots rock, you'll dig him. He just recently signed with a big label, so you should start hearing him get advertised a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGn4LncY0g
          Cool tune.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• In case you folks didn't realize that Elvis didn't write this song.

Here's another good one.

Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 02-22-2012, 09:26 PM.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• A Nick Lowe creation

Comment

• "In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes."

ROCKPILE!

That stuff has aged quite well, imo.

Springsteen wrote "From Small Things..." but Edmunds kills Bruce's version - sorry, Bruce, says this Jersey guy.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Just heard Harden My Heart by Quarterflash on the radio today. Good song.

Comment

• Some Irish folk music. These guys are great. I've seen them many a times and their harmonies are top-notch.

Probably not everyone's cup o tay though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "In the late 70's-early 80's Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe made some great rock and roll tunes."

ROCKPILE!

That stuff has aged quite well, imo.

Springsteen wrote "From Small Things..." but Edmunds kills Bruce's version - sorry, Bruce, says this Jersey guy.
                      Judge, "From Small Things.. " is awesome!! One of my favorites of all-time.

The Rockpile CD kicks a$$...

Comment

• The Aussie draft got me crawling around Youtube for Midnight Oil, and I came upon something really cool, an entire 1985 show in Sydney Harbor.

The year is 1985. It's sunset on Sydney Harbour. This is Midnight Oil, in concert on Goat Island.Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/user/Skitizen#grid/user/4AD...

It predates their US breakout, which came 2 years later, but their older stuff was just as good.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Some Irish folk music. These guys are great. I've seen them many a times and their harmonies are top-notch.

Probably not everyone's cup o tay though.

This my favourite Irish folk song ... this version by Loudon Wainwright III was recorded for Boardwalk Empire ... I think it's the best.

Comment

• Tommy Makem and The Clancy Brothers - The Old Orange Flute

This one shows the humour that has sadly been lost over the last 30-40 years.

Comment

• And the best of them all ... aran Jumpers n'all

Comment

• I have a soft spot for GReek music ... 10 years with Greeks will do that.

This is the song that Video Games by Lana Del Rey was "borrowed" from ... I like both. I can't imagine the lyrics are all that similar.

If you like that I have a ton of folk-rock inspired Greek music that I can post ...

Comment

Working...
                                X