No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Knox Five, opening for Thievery Corporation at Red Rocks in a couple weeks. Me likey.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Also on the bill, Tycho...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Indie band getting a lot of buzz. Best described as dream pop filtered through americana with vocals that remind me of a less gritty Springsteen and a bit Don Henleyish. I present to you...The War on Drugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          Indie band getting a lot of buzz. Best described as dream pop filtered through americana with vocals that remind me of a less gritty Springsteen and a bit Don Henleyish. I present to you...The War on Drugs.

word is that the entire CD in CD form is solid - something that doesn't happen that much these days

I will give it all a listen this weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            word is that the entire CD in CD form is solid - something that doesn't happen that much these days

I will give it all a listen this weekend
            I've listened through it a few times and it's definitely solid all the way through although some songs go on for too long without a lot of variation. Here's another highlight:

Comment

• I'm going to see the Old 97's tonight. I know there are some fans here. Their new album is actually really good. I know it's been said in the past, people got excited about Blame it on Gravity. It has some good songs but this new one Most Messed Up. Here's a link to stream the album.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I'm going to see the Old 97's tonight. I know there are some fans here. Their new album is actually really good. I know it's been said in the past, people got excited about Blame it on Gravity. It has some good songs but this new one Most Messed Up. Here's a link to stream the album.

https://soundcloud.com/ato_records/s...sed-up/s-jYcF1
                Nashville (track 6) is really good.

Comment

• I think the song might be old, but the video is pretty good.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Great rock and roll!!

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• So how does radio play work any more? It use to be groups would release singles and the stations would pick them up and play them... but does it happen like that any more?

I wonder because Arctic Monkeys is finally getting some play over here on the alt stations. I've even heard it on the rock station here and the "we play whatever we want" station. I've only heard Do I wanna know so far, plus Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? once on one of the alt XM stations. I think R U Mine could get air play here now, but it was released in GB more than a year ago as a single before the album came out. It would need to be re-released here in the US but in the age of iTunes, do they even release singles anymore, let alone re-release things? How does that work?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        So how does radio play work any more? It use to be groups would release singles and the stations would pick them up and play them... but does it happen like that any more?

I wonder because Arctic Monkeys is finally getting some play over here on the alt stations. I've even heard it on the rock station here and the "we play whatever we want" station. I've only heard Do I wanna know so far, plus Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? once on one of the alt XM stations. I think R U Mine could get air play here now, but it was released in GB more than a year ago as a single before the album came out. It would need to be re-released here in the US but in the age of iTunes, do they even release singles anymore, let alone re-release things? How does that work?
                        I don't know how anything works anymore. I know that I find new music through random means these days, not through radio or Record Company promotion.

Music drafts are a good source - especially with the different tastes and age groups we have around here, some TV shows make great use of music ... I've been listening to this 3 hour playlist from True Detective ... everything from the Melvins to Dwight Yoakam, to the Wu Tang Clan, to The Handsome Family. It's pretty awesome ... then I get sidetracked into other branches and you discover more new stuff. A Vashti Bunyon song from like 1966 played, then I spent all last night listening to her stuff and reading up on her. I'd heard of her, but never really sat down and listened to anything.

The Youtube page has each song separately linked and listed

As for the Arctic Monkeys ... they are reasonably successful stateside these days. Their most recent record was a Billboard top 10, They tour a lot, and have a pretty dedicated fanbase. Next record will probably be the make or break record in the States. They are still only in the mid-20's ... seem like they have been around forever.

Comment

• yeah, I guess I hear most of my new music either here or through stuff that is played on Pandora off my playlists...

I know I got mocked here once before for talking about radio, and I have my ipod in the car that I listen to a good bit of the time, but there's still something special about hearing your favorite song on the radio. If I dial up a song on my ipod I know I'm about to hear it. If I'm driving along and a song I really like comes on the radio, wow, it's a complete surprise. An unexpected gift. and if some radio station actually decides to play something I never hear on the radio, Big Country or up to lately Arctic Monkeys or something, that's like Christmas! My favorite songs always sound better on the radio because I wasn't expecting them.
                          Last edited by heyelander; 06-25-2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

yeah, I guess I hear most of my new music either here or through stuff that is played on Pandora off my playlists...

I know I got mocked here once before for talking about radio, and I have my ipod in the car that I listen to a good bit of the time, but there's still something special about hearing your favorite song on the radio. If I dial up a song on my ipod I know I'm about to hear it. If I'm driving along and a song I really like comes on, wow, it's a complete surprise. An unexpected gift. and if some radio station actually decides to play something I never hear on the radio, Big Country or up to lately Arctic Monkeys or something, that's like Christmas! My favorite songs always sound better on the radio because I wasn't expecting them.
                            I agree...it is always a great feeling to hear something on the radio that just takes you by surprise...whether it's "Stairway to heaven" or some deep album cut.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

yeah, I guess I hear most of my new music either here or through stuff that is played on Pandora off my playlists...

I know I got mocked here once before for talking about radio, and I have my ipod in the car that I listen to a good bit of the time, but there's still something special about hearing your favorite song on the radio. If I dial up a song on my ipod I know I'm about to hear it. If I'm driving along and a song I really like comes on, wow, it's a complete surprise. An unexpected gift. and if some radio station actually decides to play something I never hear on the radio, Big Country or up to lately Arctic Monkeys or something, that's like Christmas! My favorite songs always sound better on the radio because I wasn't expecting them.
                              That's why I keep a lot of stuff on my phone that I don't necessary always want to listen to ... it's always a nice surprise when it pops up on random play.

Comment

• THE GREATEST GUITAR SONG IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC!

Comment

Working...
                                X