No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some great tunes from 1988 on here. I remember almost all but haven't thought about them in years
    https://www.npr.org/sections/world-c...-year-in-music
    Last edited by swampdragon; 09-26-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• I finally got hooked on Death Grips. I had been listening for years, but hadn't felt strongly about them since their debut, and they're onto album #7 now, I think. Their mix of elements of metal, rap, psych-rock, etc. is really incredible. I know the vocals would turn a lot of people off, or some of the more nihilistic aspects of the band... but the whole package is very appealing to me. This is a super heavy track from their latest album "Year of the Snitch".

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Danny Brown is possibly my favourite rapper. Super unique flow, and he raps over some really weird tracks. His last 4 full-lengths are incredible, each eclipsing the last.

He works a fair bit with Paul White, who also produces some cool material under his own name. This is a great collab track.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Kool A.D. is another fave rapper of mine. He's crazy prolific. I think I've got about 20 albums, including 4 or 5 that are 100 tracks each...

He's not your average MC rapping about trivial nonsense, he often raps about politics and whatnot. This is a great song for the end of the day on a friday.

Comment

• Ghostemane is an underground rapper who infuses a lot of metal into the mix. He uses a few distinct singing styles, a super whiny and frantic rapping style, plus a slower bassier lead vocal, and death metal howls and screams. All of the vocal theatrics and nihilistic lyrics are set to a dark tone of metal and rap co-mingling... I love it. A few tracks are instant classics. I heard Ghostemane in a weed lounge in Vancouver this past February and gave the budtender props on the tunes. I'm not sure if he has cross-over appeal to truly break through commercially, but he's definitely filling a niche for disaffected teens/millennials, and genre nerds like me who will track it for the curiosity of where it leads.

Last edited by Teenwolf; 10-07-2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Here's one with some broader appeal. Peaking Lights are some weird fusion of dub, electronic, disco... i dunno. It's super danceable, with lots of added psych rock theremin squeals to keep it interesting. I saw them live about 12 years ago now, and they've changed a lot, improved a lot. I think this album is pretty incredible front to back. Never ceases to hold my interest.

Comment

• Next guy is a unique flavor of mash-up artist. He's particularly fond of the cheesiest low-lites of the 80's and 90's. This takes the vocals from Was Not Was "Walk the Dinosaur" and sets them to a funky down-pitched Beatles' "Dear Prudence"... 2nd pick would have been the vocals for AC/DC "Back in Black" set to Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles"... oh, or "Annoyed Grunt", which samples the weird animal noises from Korn's "Freak on a Leash", the "Home Improvement" theme song, Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime", David Lee Roth yelping... it's bizarre, sometimes fun, sometimes the clash of corny elements are just too much and the whole thing falls apart, but I find it to be a pretty brave project. It's this weird combination of nostalgia, embarrassment, horror... it's like it's punking you by throwing a dozen terrible things together into some new form that's somehow enjoyable, but it still makes you feel a bit weirded out by the experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Next guy is a unique flavor of mash-up artist. He's particularly fond of the cheesiest low-lites of the 80's and 90's. This takes the vocals from Was Not Was "Walk the Dinosaur" and sets them to a funky down-pitched Beatles' "Dear Prudence"... 2nd pick would have been the vocals for AC/DC "Back in Black" set to Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles"... oh, or "Annoyed Grunt", which samples the weird animal noises from Korn's "Freak on a Leash", the "Home Improvement" theme song, Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime", David Lee Roth yelping... it's bizarre, sometimes fun, sometimes the clash of corny elements are just too much and the whole thing falls apart, but I find it to be a pretty brave project. It's this weird combination of nostalgia, embarrassment, horror... it's like it's punking you by throwing a dozen terrible things together into some new form that's somehow enjoyable, but it still makes you feel a bit weirded out by the experience.

I thought you did a nice write up on this. It made me want to listen/watch it...twice.

I did not love it. I did not hate it. Somehow like you I did find it enjoyable.

Comment

• Dave Grohl does do the coolest stuff live:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Dave Grohl does do the coolest stuff live:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ssouri-concert
                        The guy who did vocals at the nirvana "reunion" last week was exceelent.

Comment

• “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• RIP Youtube

Comment

• “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X