No announcement yet.

Will Smith vs Chris Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol of course video surfaces of a young Will Smith mocking someone with alopecia. "I just couldn't bear it!" Uh huh.

Edit: He was mocking a member of Arsenio Hall's band and tried to let everyone know that his mockery was fine by saying, "Aww, these are jokes, c'mon!" Christ, it's like the same thing except with the roles reversed.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      Lol of course video surfaces of a young Will Smith mocking someone with alopecia. "I just couldn't bear it!" Uh huh.
      Yeah we covered that last night and the fact it's a 20 year old Smith, no verification if he knew the guy had the disease vs a 57 year old rock who'd just produced a movie about women of colors hair, their sensitivities regarding it and Jada's very open acknowledgement about her sensitivity regarding the subject--but yeah they're exactly the same thing just like the Dems and the GOP.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• To no one's surprise, the clown is also a hypocrite.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          To no one's surprise, the clown is also a hypocrite.
          It amazes me that you seem to have forgotten your previous persona and the shit you said and advocated.

But preach it brother! Judge a man on one incident and hope no one ever holds you to the same standard.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Judge a man on one incident and hope no one ever holds you to the same standard.
            I don't really have a dog in this fight, I'm still focused on the baseball players But it's hard to reconcile this with how you've reacted to other situations

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            I'm the most fucking irritating person on the planet, you'll either stop or punch me or walk away, but you'll damn well know what you're doing is bothering someone else

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I don't really have a dog in this fight, I'm still focused on the baseball players But it's hard to reconcile this with how you've reacted to other situations
              I don't see how these two quotes are related or contradictory. Can you please explain that to me as I don't see the correlation. Thanks.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I just saw a comment that rings true. Had he not slapped Rock, the joke would have been soon forgotten by all, and the focus would have been on Smith's movie performance and Oscar. Now, that joke, as context for the assault, will be retold again and again for a long time. It is a shame.

On the plus side, Denzel's word of wisdom will have legs too. That was a good line.
                and if he had commented on it afterwards Chris would have looked like a dick, and alopecia awareness would have sky-rocketed.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  and if he had commented on it afterwards Chris would have looked like a dick, and alopecia awareness would have sky-rocketed.
                  I think it probably has either way, although there have been other prominent figures with it, so I think a lot of folks already knew about it. One of the best "celebrities" I've seen raising awareness and removing stigmas is Kevin Bull, from American Ninja Warrior. He does a lot of work with kids. That show does a great job of being a positive platform for awareness of a variety of conditions and social issues, without coming across as fake and manipulative, because at the heart of it, the contestants were often doing amazing things showing that their limitations did not define them their effort to overcome does. Kevin Bull was an absolute beast on that show. His flip dismount in 2014, about 3 min in to the video, is legendary.

Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-29-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Off topic, but connected to my last post, for me, the funniest SNL skit ever was an ANW skit featuring the highly underrated Bobby Moynihan. It is one of the few things that makes me laugh every time I see it:

Comment

• That was funny.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I don't want to make this thread go sideways or anything, but I side with Gregg and GITH. Smith lost the moral high ground with the slap, but he and Jada are right to be hurt, insulted, and angry.

Having lived through comedians making racist jokes at my wife's expense ("looks like this town only has half of a Black person", etc), I can say that I wanted to smack the shit out of the comic. I made my displeasure known and never went back to the shithole comedy club. Moved across the country to escape it. Never raised a hand, but I also wouldn't condemn someone for it. A joke has much more power to hurt or violate someone than a slap. A slap is intended to embarass and shame, not hurt. Important to understand that context here too.

I think getting upset that Smith wasn't removed from the Oscars sets a bad precedent, given all of questionable characters that have won (Harvey Weinstein, Casey Affleck, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen).
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          I don't want to make this thread go sideways or anything, but I side with Gregg and GITH. Smith lost the moral high ground with the slap, but he and Jada are right to be hurt, insulted, and angry.

Having lived through comedians making racist jokes at my wife's expense ("looks like this town only has half of a Black person", etc), I can say that I wanted to smack the shit out of the comic. I made my displeasure known and never went back to the shithole comedy club. Moved across the country to escape it. Never raised a hand, but I also wouldn't condemn someone for it. A joke has much more power to hurt or violate someone than a slap. A slap is intended to embarass and shame, not hurt. Important to understand that context here too.

I think getting upset that Smith wasn't removed from the Oscars sets a bad precedent, given all of questionable characters that have won (Harvey Weinstein, Casey Affleck, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen).
                          I don't think anyone is questioning the right to be hurt, insulted, or angry. I know if I slapped someone at work I would be fired. If I slapped someone in public there is a good chance I would be arrested. I think this is good. If it were acceptable to slap people who upset you we would live in a much worse society, I can't believe there is any debate about this.

Where some of the pushback seems to be coming from is the impression that those who criticize the slap think it is ok to be cruel or abusive to others. I don't think this is the case, and there are much more effective responses, several of which have been previously mentioned. I am sure every single person has wanted to smack the shit out of someone at some time in their life, I just don't think many people think it would be great to let people do that.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I don't think anyone is questioning the right to be hurt, insulted, or angry. I know if I slapped someone at work I would be fired. If I slapped someone in public there is a good chance I would be arrested. I think this is good. If it were acceptable to slap people who upset you we would live in a much worse society, I can't believe there is any debate about this.

Where some of the pushback seems to be coming from is the impression that those who criticize the slap think it is ok to be cruel or abusive to others. I don't think this is the case, and there are much more effective responses, several of which have been previously mentioned. I am sure every single person has wanted to smack the shit out of someone at some time in their life, I just don't think many people think it would be great to let people do that.
                            I hope I haven't made anyone feel that I believe they are cruel or abusive because that's not what I believe. I do think people should be more understanding if they've screwed up, made bad choices or the like, but that's just what I believe.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I don't think he should lose his Oscar... that is a punishment that has little to do with the crime.

I don't think he should be invited back though, as he has proven himself incapable of proper behavior there.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• FWIW when Brando refused his oscar and Sacheen Littlefeather took the stage for him, they booed her, had to restrain John Wayne from storming the stage and attacking Littlefeather. Eastwood made a snide comment about her later in the broadcast--none of those guys got bounced either.

We see it all the time, the rich, powerful and famous have a different set of rules than the rest of us. Comparing us to them would be like comparing us to any athlete who's beat their wife/girlfriend, gotten a DUI or made shit comments Etc. We do it--we get thrown in jail, they do it--they get 230 million guaranteed and full no trade clause and taken in the first/second round of most fantasy drafts this year

It sucks, but that's life right?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X