CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    We're gettin' serious tomorrow - poached Cod with a Chardonnay/butter reduction, blanched/pan fried asparagus with butter and garlic, and twice-baked potatoes. This'll be by far the most technically difficult cooking we've done so far. If it blows up in my face, then it'll be taco/burrito night.
    How were the tacos?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      How were the tacos?
      Delayed for a day. Prep just began. I opened the Chardonnay.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• We've just finished off leftover week--when you cook for only 2, you tend to have extra so the chicken street tacos and fixins become a chicken scramble for breakfast just by adding eggs

Took some chicken breasts, a pork roast and party wings out of the freezer, gonna try another Pulled Pork night followed by the Masala recipe posted here earlier and a break from it all wing my chipotle BBQ dry rub wings...…….then leftovers next week
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• No tacos! Actually, we have leftover fish that we'll use for fish tacos today. Fish was perfect. Asparagus was hit and miss - lesson learned was I think when you blanch, having asparagus that's all about the same diameter is important. And the Chardonnay (Buehler, Napa Valley) was really good.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            No tacos! Actually, we have leftover fish that we'll use for fish tacos today. Fish was perfect. Asparagus was hit and miss - lesson learned was I think when you blanch, having asparagus that's all about the same diameter is important. And the Chardonnay (Buehler, Napa Valley) was really good.
            Woo hoo! Glad it turned out for you and yours.

Fish tacos a little bonus.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Now that most uf us are homebound, I can only imagine that like us, everyone is cooking more these days.

I'm in the process of attempting to make some pulled pork for the first time, first time baked beans and first time cole slaw. My wife is baking for the first time, all sorts of things. Making home made Hummus and such. It's kind of fun actually as we normally stick to tried and true recipes having little or no time to do any experimenting.

Is anyone else taking the plunge into uncharted culinary territories?

If so, what are you trying and how is it working?

Plus any suggestions for In the House/Instapot (I got no Grill) pulled pork and the fixing is always appreciated.

Thanks!
              Just getting into this thread Gwynn. Here is the best baked bean recipe I've tried. I smoke meat often and with brisket these beans and slaw are KILLER
              No wrong way to do this just layer it how you like. I do it by eye and make sure each layer covers.
              layer plain ol Campbells pork and beans in a deep dish. use a bunch of small cans or 2 or 3 large ones whatever your dish or pot will hold. pour 3 or 4 small cans of beans or 1 large in pot ( I have a brown ceramic bean pot), squirt ketchup and mustard over top. add hefty handful or 2 of brown sugar. pour some molasses (I use brear rabbit brand)cover with chopped onions. Layer 5 pieces of raw bacon. repeat layer. bake 350 for 3 hours stirring halfway through.
              Pineapple/Sarracha Slaw: finely chop 1/2 head small cabbage. In large bowl dissolve 11/2 Tbl to 2 Tbl sugar in 3 or 4 Tbl Cider vinegar. i use 3 splenda packs sometimes to make it lower in carbs. Add mayo( I only use Hellman's or Dukes) to make a tangy sweet sauce. add i small can chopped pineapple(drained) and as much sarracha as you like. It should be slightly pink. When that tastes to your liking add the cabbage and enjoy. can sit in fridge a couple hours but is best right away. Fantastic with smoked Brisket, or smoked Pork butt used as pulled pork. Sorry can't help with a crock pot method but guaran damn tee the beans and slaw will be a hit.
              Last edited by KnuckleBalls; 04-24-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Now that most uf us are homebound, I can only imagine that like us, everyone is cooking more these days.

I'm in the process of attempting to make some pulled pork for the first time, first time baked beans and first time cole slaw. My wife is baking for the first time, all sorts of things. Making home made Hummus and such. It's kind of fun actually as we normally stick to tried and true recipes having little or no time to do any experimenting.

Is anyone else taking the plunge into uncharted culinary territories?

If so, what are you trying and how is it working?

Plus any suggestions for In the House/Instapot (I got no Grill) pulled pork and the fixing is always appreciated.

Thanks!
                Just getting into this thread Gwynn. Here is the best baked bean recipe I've tried. I smoke meat often and with brisket these beans and slaw are KILLER
                No wrong way to do this just layer it how you like. I do it by eye and make sure each layer covers.
                layer plain ol Campbells pork and beans in a deep dish. use a bunch of small cans or 2 or 3 large ones whatever your dish or pot will hold. pour 3 or 4 small cans of beans or 1 large in pot ( I have a brown ceramic bean pot), squirt ketchup and mustard over top. add hefty handful or 2 of brown sugar. pour some molasses (I use brear rabbit brand). cover with chopped onions. Layer 5 pieces of raw bacon. repeat layer. bake 350 for 3 hours stirring halfway through.
                Pineapple/Sarracha Slaw: finely chop 1/2 head small cabbage. In large bowl dissolve 11/2 Tbl to 2 Tbl sugar in 3 or 4 Tbl Cider vinegar. i use 3 splenda packs sometimes to make it lower in carbs. Add mayo( I only use Hellman's or Dukes) to make a tangy sweet sauce. add i small can chopped pineapple(drained) and as much sarracha as you like. It should be slightly pink. When that tastes to your liking add the cabbage and enjoy. can sit in fridge a couple hours but is best right away. Fantastic with smoked Brisket, or smoked Pork butt used as pulled pork. Sorry can't help with a crock pot method but guaran damn tee the beans and slaw will be a hit.
                Last edited by KnuckleBalls; 04-24-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• oops, 3 Wellers will do that

Comment

• Must be REALLY killer slaw
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                      layer plain ol Campbells pork and beans in a deep dish. use a bunch of small cans or 2 or 3 large ones whatever your dish or pot will hold. pour 3 or 4 small cans of beans or 1 large in pot ( I have a brown ceramic bean pot), squirt ketchup and mustard over top. add hefty handful or 2 of brown sugar. pour some molasses (I use brear rabbit brand). cover with chopped onions. Layer 5 pieces of raw bacon. repeat layer. bake 350 for 3 hours stirring halfway through.
                      Trying the slaw recipe tonight. Thawed out the beans we made a couple of weeks ago and the pork is ready waiting to be pulled and served.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Just finished up pan fried shrimp, garlic buttered pasta and peas. Great combo. Thank you Mrs Gregg!

Comment

• Yo KB The slaw was excellent!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Glad to hear Gwynn.
                            Just had smoked salmon, collard greens and twice cooked homemade fries. (My son requests this about every week now). Takes a bit of time to brine and dry but well worth it. Use a Little Chief smoker or other method that doesn't get too hot. Brine(Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, italian seasoning dissolved in water) some fillets overnight or for 24 hours. I use a ziplock placed inside a bowl. Pat dry and leave uncovered in fridge 8-12 hrs to dry out. Smoke in Little Chief for 1 1/2 hours refilling wood chips every 20-30 min. Finish salmon in 250 degree oven for 30 min. or until thickest part is 145-150 degrees with insta read.

Fresh collards(including stems) torn up and cooked for 3 hours in chicken stock with bacon, hamhock, slovenian sausage, smoked turkey or other smoked meat to flavor. The last two times I used double smoked, spicy Croatian sausage from a local sausage shop, If not using spicy meat, add a pinch of hot pepper flakes. When tender, finely chop meat, stir and enjoy. Many say they don't like collards and most have never tried them. They are incredible!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                              Glad to hear Gwynn.
                              Just had smoked salmon, collard greens and twice cooked homemade fries. (My son requests this about every week now). Takes a bit of time to brine and dry but well worth it. Use a Little Chief smoker or other method that doesn't get too hot. Brine(Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, italian seasoning dissolved in water) some fillets overnight or for 24 hours. I use a ziplock placed inside a bowl. Pat dry and leave uncovered in fridge 8-12 hrs to dry out. Smoke in Little Chief for 1 1/2 hours refilling wood chips every 20-30 min. Finish salmon in 250 degree oven for 30 min. or until thickest part is 145-150 degrees with insta read.

Fresh collards(including stems) torn up and cooked for 3 hours in chicken stock with bacon, hamhock, slovenian sausage, smoked turkey or other smoked meat to flavor. The last two times I used double smoked, spicy Croatian sausage from a local sausage shop, If not using spicy meat, add a pinch of hot pepper flakes. When tender, finely chop meat, stir and enjoy. Many say they don't like collards and most have never tried them. They are incredible!!!!!
                              I wish I had a smoker--it's one of the reasons when I get a grill it's going to be a wood pellet one (Traeger if poss) so I can smoke. I'm not a fan of cooked/smoked Salmon, but maybe I haven't had it prepared properly. My wife loves it teriyakied and I love it as Sashimi so maybe I'm missing the right recipe. The greens sound good I might give em a try before this is all over.

Thanks again, I would have tried the bean recipe, but we had a lot left over from my wife's last batch (homemade)

Tomorrow is going to be chicken stir fry (pretty basic) with rice (we ran out of Bean Noodles) this weekend might be another Crawfish boil (still have 3 lbs frozen) so we'll see.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Crawfish!!!!! Damn, that sounds good!!!!! Don't get those in Cleveland.
                                Highly recommend the Little Chief. It's like $60, been around forever and a great, easy intro to smoking. I would love a Treager but for the money I've been very happy with my offset grill and Little Chief. Have done salmon, trout, chicken, pastrami, and even homemade smoked sausage(in winter so it doesn't get above 165 and melt the fat) in the LC. Some would scoff at an aluminum box with a hot plate but believe me it does the job for many things.

Comment

Working...
                                X