Knife bans??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    I would rather have the ability to defend myself and not depend on the government to send some bobby to file a criminal report about me getting mugged or having my home broken into while I am laying in a stretcher.
    I think you might be stuck living in the movie Death Wish.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I think you might be stuck living in the movie Death Wish.
      Never seen it. So I dont get your reference. Thanks though - as it seems you would prefer to live in the city with the higher crime rate.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

So if you lived in a city with no guns - but the city had higher crime rates because of the use of knives you would be fine with that? You sound silly to be implying that living in the city with the higher crime rate is a better thing. So England got rid of the gun - but criminals just altered their tool of choice to the knife - and now the crime rate is higher there.

It wasnt my intent to go down the gun path - but it honestly sounds like you are endorsing living in a place with a higher crime rate specifically because guns are not there. I would personally want to live in the place that has less crime - instrument of choice be damned.
        Just pointing out your own words for you, with emphasis. If you stand by this ludicrous statement, cool. You've said all that needs to be said.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Never seen it. So I dont get your reference. Thanks though - as it seems you would prefer to live in the city with the higher crime rate.
          The movie is set in a super high crime fantasy world where the vigilante hero has frequent need to use his gun to take out the bad guys. I think TW is pointing out that you don't live in such a place. In fact, since you don't own a gun at all, and so by extension, don't feel the need for one for self-protection where you live, on this point, you two agree--you both agree that owning and carrying a gun in your environment is not really necessary (I assume this, because you don't own and carry a gun).

I must say, it is interesting that you are such an ardent defender of the rights for others to own guns, frequently suggesting it is vital to their protection and ability to sustain themselves through hunting when neither is the case for you. Of course, you don't have to live a life style to defend it. I'm not gay, but I'm all for gay rights. But it is still fascinating to me that the most vocal supporter of gun rights here is not himself a gun owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            The movie is set in a super high crime fantasy world where the vigilante hero has frequent need to use his gun to take out the bad guys. I think TW is pointing out that you don't live in such a place. In fact, since you don't own a gun at all, and so by extension, don't feel the need for one for self-protection where you live, on this point, you two agree--you both agree that owning and carrying a gun in your environment is not really necessary (I assume this, because you don't own and carry a gun).

I must say, it is interesting that you are such an ardent defender of the rights for others to own guns, frequently suggesting it is vital to their protection and ability to sustain themselves through hunting when neither is the case for you. Of course, you don't have to live a life style to defend it. I'm not gay, but I'm all for gay rights. But it is still fascinating to me that the most vocal supporter of gun rights here is not himself a gun owner.
            Im a fucking LIBERTARIAN - I believe that the rights that we are granted are valid to everyone and for everyone whether I choose to use the right. If there was a push to take away a woman's right to vote - I would fight that. If someone tried to institute slavery again - I would fight that. Those rights that we have been given by the government should be valued very highly. Government should be instrumental in protecting the rights of the people.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Just pointing out your own words for you, with emphasis. If you stand by this ludicrous statement, cool. You've said all that needs to be said.
              So again, to be clear you would rather live in a city with HIGHER crime rates, specifically because there are no guns allowed in the city? You are actually saying that you would rather live in a place where you have a better chance to get injured or attacked, just as long as its not a gun.

Personally I like to live in lower crime areas but you have fun with the extra bars on your door.

Comment

If there was a push to take away a woman's right to vote - I would fight that.
                How about her right to abort her unwanted fetus? That's being done throughout our country.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So again, to be clear you would rather live in a city with HIGHER crime rates, specifically because there are no guns allowed in the city? You are actually saying that you would rather live in a place where you have a better chance to get injured or attacked, just as long as its not a gun.

Personally I like to live in lower crime areas but you have fun with the extra bars on your door.
                  This is an overly simplistic discussion. Every city has safe areas and high-crime areas. Everybody would prefer to live in a safe neighbourhood, but crime is related to poverty, and people in poverty don't have a choice as to where they live. Neither of us are living in poverty, so it's disingenuous to act like either of us would choose to live in an area with higher crime rates.

I live in a city with some of the highest rates of homicide, assault, hate crimes, you name it, my hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario has it. Any Canadian will tell you it's the a$$hole of Canada. I live right in between a nice neighbourhood and a sketchy one. I'd rate my safety level as a 9/10 where I live. However, if I did live in sketch-ville, I'd definitely feel a hell of a lot safer living in the a$$hole of Canada than the a$$hole of America, knowing my likelihood of getting shot, or shooting someone in such situations are much much lower.

My cousin once lived a block from where I do, and a drunk student walked into his house at 3 am and mildly harassed him before being shown the door. My cousin was bummed he had to start locking his front door. I'd be a lot more bummed getting over the PTSD of shooting some drunk idiot over a simple mistake. But you enjoy your freedom, bud. I just see your freedom differently than you do. Unlikely either of us will change our minds.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    How about her right to abort her unwanted fetus? That's being done throughout our country.
                    I have been pretty clear that the genie is out of the bottle on this. The courts have ruled that abortion is legal for women to do. Though I am not clear on if it is a "right" as there is no actual Constitutional amendment regarding this. I would say that women should have the ability to choose though - even though I may not agree with what her choice is.

Comment

I have been pretty clear that the genie is out of the bottle on this. The courts have ruled that abortion is legal for women to do. Though I am not clear on if it is a "right" as there is no actual Constitutional amendment regarding this. I would say that women should have the ability to choose though - even though I may not agree with what her choice is.
                      But why aren't you fighting against the forces trying to take away these women's rights? Abortion rights have been eroded to a much greater extent than gun rights, no?
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Unlikely either of us will change our minds.
                        This is likely true.

My frustration is that when this discussion occurs rather than people realizing that my primary driver here is that we have been given the right to keep and bear arms - Not some ultra aggressive ammosexual need to shoot guns and have bump stocks. I argue in favor because we have to protect the rights that we have been given - rather than find ways to give them away.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          But why aren't you fighting against the forces trying to take away these women's rights? Abortion rights have been eroded to a much greater extent than gun rights, no?
                          Have we had any conversations here about abortion? I dont donate funds or march for the NRA, why would you expect I donate or march for womens abortion rights. Do you think that I really have the time for that? The extent of my "radicalism" is really just these conversations.

Comment

This is likely true.

My frustration is that when this discussion occurs rather than people realizing that my primary driver here is that we have been given the right to keep and bear arms - Not some ultra aggressive ammosexual need to shoot guns and have bump stocks. I argue in favor because we have to protect the rights that we have been given - rather than find ways to give them away.
                            So rather than discussing any content in my post, you just agree to disagree and spout your own rant again... nice. Please respond to my actual points, have an honest conversation.

Your "freedom" is infringing on the rights of people to not be gunned down. Canada enjoys more freedom from gun violence, because we don't let our lunatics run the asylum. Canada isn't perfect, but I cherish this freedom.

Canada still has ammosexuals, but we regulate all Canadians' gun rights to limit the damage that certain nutjobs can inflict. The palpable sense of gun regulations that I feel going on all around me make me feel pretty damn good. If it makes you feel good to live in the land of "open carry"... "stand your ground"... general Mad Max world type of wild west BS, that's fine. But you force everyone else to live in that world of GUNS-GUNS-GUNS which means more shootings, more accidental killings, more homicides, more suicides, and act like "HEY YOU, ENJOY YOUR FREEDOM!" and it's just stupid that you don't see that you're doing exactly what you claim to hate, forcing everybody else to live by your standards (which are zero standards). It's laughable. This is why Libertarians are a joke party, your philosophy is to let things go wild, let nature take it's course, let industry pollute the earth and the earth will adapt and figure it out... the earth is headed for the sun eventually anyway, right? Burn baby burn! Let everyone pay a flat-tax, equal for everyone... that sounds fair right?... let everyone own guns and then all the good-guy-with-gun's will shoot all of the bad-guys-with-gun's and we'll be so much better off! Right? Laws are for BDSM folks, those who enjoy bondage...

Comment

You said we will unlikely change each others mind - to which point I agreed and indicated that my frustration that is more about defending rights given to us by our government and its importance.

I agreed with you and thought that was going to be the end - agree to disagree.. Thats usually a very civil place to end up. Understanding each others point of view - and then parting with better understanding but not agreeing. Its actually a good thing to do. So Im not sure why this rant from you.

My philosophy is that government should not be
                              1- in the position to tell me how to think or speak
                              2- be in my home
                              3- and as little as possible in my wallet.

Im not forcing you to live in any world. I want you to have as many choices as you can.

Unfortunately I dont know what BDSM is - and so again I cant respond to that.... Not sure where bondage comes in.

Comment

You said we will unlikely change each others mind - to which point I agreed and indicated that my frustration that is more about defending rights given to us by our government and its importance.

I agreed with you and thought that was going to be the end - agree to disagree.. Thats usually a very civil place to end up. Understanding each others point of view - and then parting with better understanding but not agreeing. Its actually a good thing to do. So Im not sure why this rant from you.

My philosophy is that government should not be
                                1- in the position to tell me how to think or speak
                                2- be in my home
                                3- and as little as possible in my wallet.

Im not forcing you to live in any world. I want you to have as many choices as you can.

Unfortunately I dont know what BDSM is - and so again I cant respond to that.... Not sure where bondage comes in.
                                Governing isn't about personal philosophies. Those 3 points you make are so damn vague, I have no idea how you would enact laws based on these ideals.

I guess I need to be a little more direct... I believe that my country, Canada, is better than your country at assessing the dangers and values of firearms, and making laws that provide Canadians with the most safety from gun violence.

I believe your country is a raging dumpster fire.

Agree to disagree? Cool. I'll enjoy my feeling of safety, you enjoy your feeling of "freedom"... one of us is 20x more likely to get shot walking out the door today than the other. But I know you love swimming in delusion, so seriously dude, enjoy your freedom. Soak it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X