No announcement yet.

Knife bans??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would any of you vote to pass a law the would ban guns and alcohol.

Gun free America but it can only happen with alcohol free America. Would you vote for such a law.

If not why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Gun free America but it can only happen with alcohol free America. Would you vote for such a law.

If not why not?
      Why would they need to be outlawed in conjunction?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

If not why not?
        I'll assume you're posting this as a fun hypothetical question rather than assuming that there would be or should be any real linkage of the two issues. I'm also assuming that for this hypothetical there is no constitutional impediment to your proposed Gun-and-Alcohol-Free-America Law, because we know, of course, in the real world that this would require a constitutional amendment, not just a law.

All of that said, I don't think I would support a nationwide ban on guns and alcohol, for civil liberties and privacy reasons, as well as for practical reasons around policing and enforcement.

Comment

If not why not?
          What kind of effect would these bans have on employment numbers?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Why alcohol? Civilized nations drink, the educated drink, trait of people who live to be 100 have in common is they have a drink. If we are naming something just because it is popular (alcohol) to pair with guns, thats cool. We would have to approach this as if the "law" is in effect a magic spell, and passing it would make all guns and alcohol not only disappear, but the ability to make them would also go poof, as it is rather easy to make beer, wine, spirit. I would vote for such a thing, sure, the trade off would be more positive than not.

Comment

How about if we ban guns and booze in exchange for constitutional protections for knives and weed?

If not why not?
              Because the last time we banned booze, it didn't work out quite as well as we'd hoped.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                We would have to approach this as if the "law" is in effect a magic spell, and passing it would make all guns... not only disappear, but the ability to make them would also go poof...
                If you could figure out how to do this, then even I'd vote for the gun ban. C'mon, Hogwarts, get crackin'!
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
                  How about a magazine that only holds 5 bullets? Do you shoot more than five times at each deer before having to reload and shoot at it again?
                  baldgrif -- I think I missed your reply to my question. What is your opinion on smaller magazines?

Comment

baldgrif -- I think I missed your reply to my question. What is your opinion on smaller magazines?
                    I think he's already rejected that idea in other threads, because the magazines don't actually do the killing, or a horde of marauders might invade his home, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      I think he's already rejected that idea in other threads, because the magazines don't actually do the killing, or a horde of marauders might invade his home, or something.
                      It would only take one marauder...since marauders pay no attention to the law and would have a magazine that contained infinite bullets !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He gone!
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Why would they need to be outlawed in conjunction?
                          Both are freedoms that when abused have severe consequences to individuals as well as to our society. A case could be made that neither freedoms are necessary for a safer and more secure life in this country.

I am not sure but I get the idea that more posters in here enjoy the freedom of drinking rather than gun ownership. By putting these two in conjunction with each other I would hope that there might be some understanding as to how the gun side feels. I do not expect it to change anybodies mind, but maybe help us to converse without all of the anger and name calling when these threads come up.

I do not drink or shoot guns. I did both a long long time ago.

I would actually like to see more control on both without eliminating either.
                          Last edited by Gregg; 04-17-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            I'll assume you're posting this as a fun hypothetical question rather than assuming that there would be or should be any real linkage of the two issues. I'm also assuming that for this hypothetical there is no constitutional impediment to your proposed Gun-and-Alcohol-Free-America Law, because we know, of course, in the real world that this would require a constitutional amendment, not just a law.

All of that said, I don't think I would support a nationwide ban on guns and alcohol, for civil liberties and privacy reasons, as well as for practical reasons around policing and enforcement.
                            Yes, your assumption is correct.

I also agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                            X