Conservatives v. Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    The only comment I have is that the four stupid lefty conspiracy theories were ones I've never heard of. Don't think anyone here has ever mentioned them or that they have widespread belief amongst the left. Louise Mensch, Eric Garland, Joy Reid, Rachel Maddow, however...
    Nor have I so it's baffling they're being used as a counter to the OP.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      The only comment I have is that the four stupid lefty conspiracy theories were ones I've never heard of. Don't think anyone here has ever mentioned them or that they have widespread belief amongst the left. Louise Mensch, Eric Garland, Joy Reid, Rachel Maddow, however...
      Fair enough, but they must be prevalent (and brain-dead) enough that Chris Cilizza wanted to snuff them out. I disagree with Cilizza about...well, almost everything, but credit where it's due. He took time on a major forum to both admit they exist, and are significant enough to refute.

But your point on Joy Reid and Rachel Maddow...yeah, I was saving those.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My wife and I hosted a traveler through AirBnB the other day... Conservative guy, one of the first we've had. He spouted all the right wing talking points about how the minimum wage boost is going to kill all of our jobs, the marijuana laws were going to upend society, etc. This guy stood in the kitchen from 4:30 to 7:30 talking to me, first while I made dinner, then through my wife and I eating dinner and doing the dishes. 3 fricking hours... My wife concluded that she wasn't sure if all Conservatives lack the emotional intelligence to understand that as hosts we are obligated to talk to this guy and be nice, and show some courtesy to leave us be. It was a fine conversation, despite his constant lines of attack against poor people. The lack of understanding personal boundaries was kind of shocking though.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

My original post was only about the common man and woman, not any talking heads or celebrities, etc..
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Granted this is only based on my Facebook friends and feeds.

I see that people that identify as Conservatives are much more likely than Liberals to believe made up information and when confronted with the facts just keep believing the made up info. The Conservatives are way more likely to post false information too.

Anyone else have a thought about this?
            Nope I have never thought about this. I do not care. There are kooks on both sides.

One thing I do find interesting is that it seems, based on the posters in here, that more Liberals play fantasy baseball than Conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Nope I have never thought about this. I do not care. There are kooks on both sides.

One thing I do find interesting is that it seems, based on the posters in here, that more Liberals play fantasy baseball than Conservatives.
              I really didn't think about it, but just got inudated with memes and posts with obviously false info and they all came from people who i know are Conservatives.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I really didn't think about it, but just got inudated with memes and posts with obviously false info and they all came from people who i know are Conservatives.
                Is it possible that your conclusion about something being “obviously false” is colored by your perception that only a particular group, in your case “conservatives” in your circle, are the only ones would would be dim enough to peddle such info? No offense, but Broaden your circle. I don’t mean to broaden your exposure to false information, but to those in your spheres of influence. As others have said, false information is not exclusive to any particular group. And, if you really think it is, then you’re not thinking! And, one thing we should all be able to agree on, no matter how we self identify, is that we need some critical thinking instead of the tribal thinking going on in this country right now.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                  Is it possible that your conclusion about something being “obviously false” is colored by your perception that only a particular group, in your case “conservatives” in your circle, are the only ones would would be dim enough to peddle such info? No offense, but Broaden your circle. I don’t mean to broaden your exposure to false information, but to those in your spheres of influence. As others have said, false information is not exclusive to any particular group. And, if you really think it is, then you’re not thinking! And, one thing we should all be able to agree on, no matter how we self identify, is that we need some critical thinking instead of the tribal thinking going on in this country right now.
                  Again Bernie, this is just a observation based on what i see in posts and feeds on MY Facebook. My conclusions about something being "obviously false" is not based on perception, but based on me researching the information that was posted. I was curious if others had the same experience that i have.

My liberal Facebook friends do not post memes or false information nearly as much as the Conservative friends do. It's a fact on my Facebook . YMMV.

Comment

Again Bernie, this is just a observation based on what i see in posts and feeds on MY Facebook. My conclusions about something being "obviously false" is not based on perception, but based on me researching the information that was posted. I was curious if others had the same experience that i have.

My liberal Facebook friends do not post memes or false information nearly as much as the Conservative friends do. It's a fact on my Facebook . YMMV.
                    Yes, I have had the same experience, which led to me removing most of the conservatives from my news feed. I kept a few who would actually post interesting stuff, but once a person posted a few of the wacko memes, they were removed. Sadly, that was most of them.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Just had the following exchange with a co-worker:

Co-Worker: I'm not so sure about this Pope, he said there is no hell....he's going against 2000 years of teaching

Feral Slasher: Leans over, sees INFOWARS heading at top of webpage

Feral Slasher:-- pauses and types in phone--

Ferel Slasher: Yeah, the Vatican denied that

CO-Worker : What's your source ?
                      Feral Slasher: WTF, which source would have less credibility than Infowars ?

I didn't actually say that last part out loud, but geez, if the Pope really said there was no hell we wouldn't need to go to Infowars to find out about it.
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Yes, I have had the same experience, which led to me removing most of the conservatives from my news feed. I kept a few who would actually post interesting stuff, but once a person posted a few of the wacko memes, they were removed. Sadly, that was most of them.
                        I wonder how many of those conservatives muted you first. Asking for a conservative friend.
                        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Again, I get that its your experience, get different friends. If you're not seeing the false garbage posted by your "liberal Facebook friends" it may be because you're not researching those post as deeply because it fits your comfort zone.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Again, I get that its your experience, get different friends. If you're not seeing the false garbage posted by your "liberal Facebook friends" it may be because you're not researching those post as deeply because it fits your comfort zone.
                            I love how you guys can't accept reality. It can't be that conservatives actually are more prone to believe and post complete BS, it's that we just haven't looked hard enough. Or better yet, need new friends! Seriously, classic!
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I agree with Mith. The conservative Facebook friends share crap from The Newly Press, Infowars, Breitbart, and a few other far right Facebook pages constantly. So many are obvious lies and bullshit yet they continue to share them as if they are gospel - even after being shown that the posts are false. They either don't care or are too obtuse to understand. Sometimes they make my head want to explode when I read their comments.
                              However, I don't see many postings from liberal friends - is it because there aren't as many 'liberal' pages out there? Or do they actually 'fact check' before sharing? I don't know the answer to that.

Comment

Uh, no Bernie. I research everything by everyone. It drives my family and friends crazy. You seem to be a pretty smart dude, but wont accept reality if it doesn't fit YOUR comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X