No announcement yet.

Tom Petty Song Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.07 Honey Bee (check out the reaction to Dave Grohl's drumming!)

11.01 You're Gonna Get It

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

11.02 = Hope You Never

Comment

11.03 You Come Through
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

11.04 Last Night (Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1)

Tom wrote this one.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

11.05 - You Tell Me (Damn The Torpedoes, 1979)

Not considered one of the A-list songs from the record, but I think this slinky little jam is pretty tasty.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

11.06 Makin' Some Noise (Into the Great Wide Open, 1991)

My favorite from ITGWO. My wife was peeved last night because I was making too much noise listening to this song while she was trying to sleep.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

11.07 No Second Thoughts, You're Gonna Get It!

Comment

12.01 Inside Out Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

Trying again.

Last edited by TheGaffer; 01-26-2018, 10:33 AM. Reason: Didn't see - went all the way back and somehow missed!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                    12.01 End of the Line, Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

Yeah, this one is technically written by Harrison, but Petty sings significant portions of it. And I like its wistful, melancholy nature. And it's a good one to end on.

Taken in the 4th
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

And here's the one I was sitting on for most of the draft.

12.02 Since You Said You Loved Me (recorded 1975, not released until Playback box set, 1995)

Mudcrutch was signed to Shelter Records in 1974 but broke up before they could put out a full album. Shelter decided it wanted to keep Petty as a solo artist, and spent 1975 trying out various approaches with him before the Heartbreakers formed. This song is a fascinating glimpse into a road not taken. Petty tried his hand at blue-eyed soul and the label assembled a crack backing band: Al Kooper on keys, Emory Gordy on bass and Jim Gordon on drums. The playing is fantastic and Petty's voice works the material much better than I thought it would. It could pass for mid-70s Hall & Oates.

The same lineup also cut the version of Louisiana Rain that appears on the box set.

Benmont Tench, who ended up transitioning with Petty and Mike Campbell from Mudcrutch to the Heartbreakers, was "stunned" when he first heard this and said he thought he was out of a job.
                      Last edited by Erik; 01-26-2018, 12:46 PM.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

12.03 - To Find A Friend (Wildflowers, 1994)

I find it funny that they bothered to bring Ringo Starr in to drum on this track, since I probably could have programmed the simplistic beat in less time than it took for Ringo to be driven from his hotel to the studio...
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

12.04 Hometown Blues (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, 1976)

I had to get something from the 70s.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

12.05 Something In The Air (Live)

If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

12.06 = Asshole

Comment

12.07 While My Guitar Gently Weeps (with a little help from Prince)

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X