Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erik View Post
    Gregg, tell me why you want to lay there, revel in your abandon?
    I'm Leavin on a Jet Plane...

I'M BACK Back In The Saddle

Comment

Gregg has another, then I will be up.

May I leave my pick with someone? Volunteer, anyone?

EDIT: Or Gregg could just pick....
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        Gregg has another, then I will be up.

May I leave my pick with someone? Volunteer, anyone?

EDIT: Or Gregg could just pick....
        Already did. You are up.

Comment

good pick Gregg, You Got Lucky was my other pick if you had taken "You Don't Know How It Feels"
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            good pick Gregg, You Got Lucky was my other pick if you had taken "You Don't Know How It Feels"
            Thanks...and I would have taken You Don't Know if you grabbed You Got Lucky.

I also thought Into the Great Wide Open would be there for me in the 4th round. Nice pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              Those are John Cougar Mellencamp songs.
              What does this even mean?
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The other song I wanted at 2.02 is still there. I have a feeling Sheep will jank it, though.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

When the Wildflowers album came out, Rick Rubin’s organic, minimalist production was a refreshing change from the polished sheen given to Petty’s recent material by Jeff Lynne and Dave Stewart. You Don’t Know How It Feels was the best example of this, especially the unadorned drum sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    The other song I wanted at 2.02 is still there. I have a feeling Sheep will jank it, though.
                    You're probably safe. I was agonizing over four different songs last night, and I finally thought "Whichever one pops into my head first thing tomorrow morning is the one I'll take." Then I woke up with Change Of Heart in my head instead of those other four. So there it is - another basic, yet terrific classic for team Sheep. Now you can have whichever one you wanted (I'll bet it was on my list of four) and leave my next super secret favorite alone.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      You're probably safe. I was agonizing over four different songs last night, and I finally thought "Whichever one pops into my head first thing tomorrow morning is the one I'll take." Then I woke up with Change Of Heart in my head instead of those other four. So there it is - another basic, yet terrific classic for team Sheep. Now you can have whichever one you wanted (I'll bet it was on my list of four) and leave my next super secret favorite alone.
                      Thanks. I have a super secret favorite too, hope it's not the same one.

Comment

• TheGaffer says he is out but on his way home, and will pick when he gets home.

Comment

• I have seen Stop Draggin' My Heart Around performed live twice. Once by Petty and Stevie Nicks, once by My Morning Jacket and Neko Case.

Comment

• My top two picks would have been Don't Do Me Like That and Jammin' Me.

Comment

• I would have considered You Wreck Me if Listen to Her Heart wasn’t inexplicably still on the board.

It was somewhat of a hit at the time, but I suspect it’s not higher in the pantheon because musically it comes across a bit as Runnin Down a Dream part 2.

It’s the first song we hear in the 4-hour documentary and I presume that’s not coincidental.

Comment

• Album breakdown:

Damn the Torpedoes 6
                                Hard Promises 3
                                Full Moon Fever 3
                                Into the Great Wide Open 3
                                Wildflowers 3
                                Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 2
                                You’re Gonna Get It! 2
                                Long After Dark 2
                                Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) 2
                                Southern Accents 1
                                Other 3
                                Last edited by Erik; 01-21-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X