Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
    So are all of the ancillary Petty things included here, btw, including the Wilburys?
    Yes, per DMT a few pages ago.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Here Comes My Girl would have been my pick for round 2
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
        So are all of the ancillary Petty things included here, btw, including the Wilburys?
        Within reason. I'd think we'd only include the Wilburys songs that were "his," and we can probably assume that the ones where he was the primary vocalist are the ones he brought to the table. Taking Handle With Care would be kinda sketchy, since another band member was the driving creative force behind it.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Taking Handle With Care would be kinda sketchy, since another band member was the driving creative force behind it.
          I can see a case for that one specifically because Petty played it live with the Heartbreakers. Tweeter and the Monkey Man, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            I can see a case for that one specifically because Petty played it live with the Heartbreakers. Tweeter and the Monkey Man, not so much.
            Eh, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm here to pick Tom Petty songs, y'all can pick whatever you like.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

I PM'd Gregg this morning, but to no avail so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                I PM'd Gregg this morning, but to no avail so far.
                These drafts... the waiting is the hardest part, amirite?

Comment

These drafts... the waiting is the hardest part, amirite?
                  Alternatively, you could have said Gregg don't come around here no more, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    Alternatively, you could have said Gregg don't come around here no more, apparently.
                    It sucks when these things breakdown.

Comment

Here are the three Petty shows I was fortunate enough to see. All had top-notch openers: The Black Crowes in 2005 (though I missed most of their set because traffic sucked), Trey Anastasio of Phish in 2006 and My Morning Jacket in 2010.

The third one has a special story behind it. I got tix for this through a friend who, like me, is a massive My Morning Jacket fan. It was basically our dream bill. That afternoon, my wife got intense pains in her stomach area. She couldn't bear it and had to go to the ER. She didn't want me to miss the show, so she had her parents come up (a 2-hour drive) to relieve me in the ER so I could get there. Turned out that pain was a byproduct of an embryo implanting. Pregnancy was confirmed about a week later and our son was born the following April.

PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ 6/22/05

Listen to Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, Breakdown, Free Fallin', Turn this Car Around, Don't Do Me Like That, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Don't Bring Me Down (Animals cover), Handle with Care (Wilburys cover), Crawling Back to You, I Won't Back Down, Wildflowers, Girl on LSD, Melinda, Learning to Fly, Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee, Runnin' Down a Dream
                      E: You Wreck Me

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 6/20/06

Listen to Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Saving Grace, Mary Jane's Last Dance, I'm a Man (Bo Diddley cover), Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover), Handle with Care (Wilburys cover), Stop Draggin' My Heart Around*, I Need to Know*, Melinda, Square One, Insider*, Learning to Fly*, Don't Come Around Here No More*, Refugee, Runnin' Down a Dream
                      E: You Wreck Me, Mystic Eyes (Them cover), American Girl*

* - with Stevie Nicks on lead or backing vocals

Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ 8/24/10

Listen to Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover), Mary Jane's Last Dance, Kings Highway, Breakdown, Jefferson Jericho Blues, Good Enough, Running Man's Bible, I Should Have Known It, Learning to Fly, Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee
                      E: Runnin' Down a Dream, American Girl

Comment

That never would come to me.

Comment

Sadly, since I don't think I have ever participated in one of these drafts, I don't know how it feels to be you.

Comment

Sadly, since I don't think I have ever participated in one of these drafts, I don't know how it feels to be you.
                            You belong in song drafts, not among the wildflowers.

Comment

Rule #137 of Song Draft is: No spoilers! Referencing songs that haven't been picked yet is punishable by, uh, something terrible, probably.

Comment

Rule #137 of Song Draft is: No spoilers! Referencing songs that haven't been picked yet is punishable by, uh, something terrible, probably.
                                I'll take it the pop route:

Comment

Working...
                                X