No announcement yet.

playlist - how about some power pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, it's a mashup, it's kind of a silly song, but man I have listened to this a lot lately.

hey, why does FB get to post multiple videos in one post?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

most of the Avett Brothers songs are more folky, but this might fit, though it's low on guitar.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Comment

one more.

Comment

these are excellent choices- most I knew but hadn't thought about it - I will cull them and build myself a playlist

Kick Drum Heart is actually a favorite of mine

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              these are excellent choices- most I knew but hadn't thought about it - I will cull them and build myself a playlist

Kick Drum Heart is actually a favorite of mine
              In my opinion, that is no where near Power Pop.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

One of the greatest Power Pop songs.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Just for Kinks I googled Power Pop:

The origins of power pop date back to the early-to-mid 1960's with what AllMusic calls: "a cross between the crunching hard rock of the Who and the sweet melodicism of the Beatles and the Beach Boys, with the ringing guitars of the Byrds thrown in for good measure".[4] According to The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll, the sub-genre's key influences came from British Invasion bands, particularly the Merseybeat sound first popularised by the Beatles and its "jangly guitars, pleasant melodies, immaculate vocal harmonies, and a general air of teenage innocence".[5]

It was Pete Townshend, of the English rock band the Who, that coined the term "power pop" in a 1967 interview in which he said: "Power pop is what we play—what the Small Faces used to play, and the kind of pop the Beach Boys played in the days of 'Fun, Fun, Fun' which I preferred."[6][nb 1] The Small Faces are often cited[by whom?] as being among the progenitors of power pop.[8] The Who's role in the creation of power pop has been cited by singer-songwriter Eric Carmen of the Raspberries...

I would submit My Generation by the Who. https://youtu.be/qN5zw04WxCc

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    how funny, I know it's not "Lust for Life", but I was convinced this was an Iggy cover until now!
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      One of the greatest Power Pop songs.

I'd say the whole Sugar album "Copper Blue" is power pop
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

In the Meantime - Spacehog (1995)

Comment

Good Day - Luce (2003)

Comment

Another Postcard - Barenakedladies (2002)

Comment

Full Circle - Collective Soul (1997)

Collective Soul has so many great power pop songs -- December, Hollywood, Better Now, Gel, Disciplined Breakdown, Run, Heavy, Shine, etc, etc.....you can make a mixed tape just of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post

The Kinks, "What I like about you"

That's The Romantics, not The Kinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X