Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
    If the allegations are true I have a hard time giving him credit for anything.
    So, what would you have had him to do today? Just today, not in the past...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      So, what would you have had him to do today? Just today, not in the past...
      I think what he may have done in the past is much more significant than what he did today. if i find out in 10 years that somebody beat up my daughter I won't really care of they resign from whatever job they may have
      --------------------------------------
      You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• There is no way he could have effectively done his job with these allegations hanging over him, exacerbated by the magnitude of the hypocrisy of his previous advocacy. Resigning seems like the only logical thing to do. I suppose, if there are no mechanisms in place that would have forced him out (I really don't know--are there none?), he deserves some credit for quickly relinquishing his position rather than clinging to it, as some politicians have done. But then, if the allegations are true, any credit due him is undercut by the fact that he insisted he is being forced out unjustly.

Comment

I think what he may have done in the past is much more significant than what he did today. if i find out in 10 years that somebody beat up my daughter I won't really care of they resign from whatever job they may have
          It may be more significant, and his behavior in the past was abhorrent, but that still doesn't answer my question, what would you have him do today?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

It may be more significant, and his behavior in the past was abhorrent, but that still doesn't answer my question, what would you have him do today?
            I don't think what he did today even matters, not sure why you think it does. if he abused women he is a criminal and should be prosecutedd, if he didn't i don't think it makes sense to resign.

Comment

I don't think what he did today even matters, not sure why you think it does. if he abused women he is a criminal and should be prosecutedd, if he didn't i don't think it makes sense to resign.
              if u were one of the women he (allegedly) abused how much credit do u give him for resigning ?

Comment

Prosecution may or may not be in his future, but it's not germain here. And of course it matters what he did today...would it have been better if he'd played a long, drawn out denial scenario? One where the women may have become even more damaged?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

if u were one of the women he (allegedly) abused how much credit do u give him for resigning ?
                  I'm not, so I can't say...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm not, so I can't say...
                    agree to disagree I guess....not sure why I am supposed to think what he did now is important

Comment

agree to disagree I guess....not sure why I am supposed to think what he did now is important
                      OK, go ahead and show me where I said what he did now was "important".

-Warren Ellis

Comment

OK, go ahead and show me where I said what he did now was "important".
                        ok, I guess u just posted 5 times explaining why we need to give him credit when we apparently both agree it is not important...which was sort of my point

Comment

ok, I guess u just posted 5 times explaining why we need to give him credit when we apparently both agree it is not important...which was sort of my point
                          Actually, that's not true either...I posted Twice that he did the right thing, one of those times was in direct response to you. Never once said that he deserved any credit...just that he did the right thing, today. Period.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Actually, that's not true either...I posted Twice that he did the right thing, one of those times was in direct response to you. Never once said that he deserved any credit...just that he did the right thing, today. Period.
                            To this point, I believe it has been said that when a murderer tells the family where the body is buried, that act of sharing that information is "doing the right thing." It seems the disagreement here is largely semantics--the interpretation that acknowledging it was right for him to resign is being conflated with the notion that stating that fact is giving credit to a guy who punches women. I totally get the impulse to push back on the idea we should praise this man in any way. At the same time, sometimes horrible people can double down or not, so I get the sentiment you originally expressed.

To me, the most "right thing" for him to do would have been to not only resign, but to apologize, and acknowledge his crimes, which would be right and at the same time would in no way mitigate his previous heinous acts. That, of course, assumes his guilt. The least right thing to have done would for him to refuse to resign and attack his accusers, adding insult to literal injury. He split the difference here. It was right that he resigned (although it would have been even more right it he'd done it before being called out), but wrong for him to suggest he is being forced out by false accusations.

Comment

so we apparently both agree his recent actions are not important and not worthy of credit. not sure then why you argued with my post 403, but whatever. if u don't thinkhis actions were worthy of credit u could have just agreed with my post instead of arguing

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                To this point, I believe it has been said that when a murderer tells the family where the body is buried, that act of sharing that information is "doing the right thing." It seems the disagreement here is largely semantics--the interpretation that acknowledging it was right for him to resign is being conflated with the notion that stating that fact is giving credit to a guy who punches women. I totally get the impulse to push back on the idea we should praise this man in any way. At the same time, sometimes horrible people can double down or not, so I get the sentiment you originally expressed.

To me, the most "right thing" for him to do would have been to not only resign, but to apologize, and acknowledge his crimes, which would be right and at the same time would in no way mitigate his previous heinous acts. That, of course, assumes his guilt. The least right thing to have done would for him to refuse to resign and attack his accusers, adding insult to literal injury. He split the difference here. It was right that he resigned (although it would have been even more right it he'd done it before being called out), but wrong for him to suggest he is being forced out by false accusations.
                                I didn't read anything he said, but if he is guilty and claimed he was falsely accused, how is that the right thing ? so resigning and claiming he is falsely accused is "right" ? if he is innocent then he recent actions need no defending, if he is guilty then to me it is all trivial. and if he is claiming he is falsely accused when he isnt, how is that the right thing ?

Comment

Working...
                                X