2020 Election thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    so serious question - what are the qualities that make someone a reasonable suggestion for either side?

experience in politics?
    successful business-person?
    popularity with their base?

I genuinely don't have any idea at this point. If I were a betting man I'd probably give Dwayne Johnson better odds than Cruz or Rubio at this point.
    LOL!!!!!! The Rock gives the The Rock Bottom and the People's Elbow to Putin after failed negotiations. I think every American would love to see that.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

How are you guys forgetting about Kanye? Jeeeez....

But now I'm not sure where he fits in? Independent?

Kanye West: I would have voted for Donald Trump, if I had voted

Chaos and projectile shoes at concert as rapper gives hour-long pro-Trump speech
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I think it's way, way too early, but I love stuff like this so........for the Dems, keep an eye on Steve Bullock of Montana. Smart, solid and has shown an ability to win in a red state. He would be a good one.
        For the GOP, assuming Trump moves on to the next shining thing.......I like Charlie Baker. Very popular governor of Massachusetts. Above 50% favor ability among Democrats. Socially moderate, fiscally pragmatic.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          Michelle Obama is basically the most likeable Democrat in the last I don't know how many years. I guess since Bill Clinton was running, but without Whitewater etc. Even Trump wouldn't attack her. And clearly we've seen that personality outweighs qualification and confidence, sooo...
          Ugh. No more legacy candidates, please.

How about Colorado governor John Hickenlooper for the Dems? Very capable administrator. Works across the aisle. Eschews the obnoxious race-baiting and identity politics nonsense. Very successful businessman. Actually cares about responsible spending and budgets. Presides over a strong, diverse economy that includes energy, tech, agriculture, and tourism. Very smart, very likable, very ethical. He's the kind of Democrat I can vote for.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Ugh. No more legacy candidates, please.

How about Colorado governor John Hickenlooper for the Dems? Very capable administrator. Works across the aisle. Eschews the obnoxious race-baiting and identity politics nonsense. Very successful businessman. Actually cares about responsible spending and budgets. Presides over a strong, diverse economy that includes energy, tech, agriculture, and tourism. Very smart, very likable, very ethical. He's the kind of Democrat I can vote for.
            I must say that you guys give me hope. Thanks for that. The fact that we're still suggesting that "very capable administrator" and "ethical" are things that matter ... I guess the events of the past year have jaded me more than most of you.

or, you're all just whistling in the wind & Dwayne Johnson really will be the next potus.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              The Dems need to fight fire with fire and unfortunately, that means grooming the best electable white man for the job. Mark Cuban?
              I understand that logic but I don't agree with it. I think a woman and/or person of color could have as good of a chance as anyone if they could energize and galvanize young people, as well as minority voters. Kamala Harris is definitely one to watch in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                The Dems need to fight fire with fire and unfortunately, that means grooming the best electable white man for the job. Mark Cuban?
                Good call. A black guy could never win the presidency.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  I understand that logic but I don't agree with it. I think a woman and/or person of color could have as good of a chance as anyone if they could energize and galvanize young people, as well as minority voters. Kamala Harris is definitely one to watch in that regard.
                  I think the opposite of revo... will the dems ever nominate a white person again?
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Lots of names thrown about in this thread but what I'm wondering is do the democrats try to move back towards the center as they were 20 years ago or do they go even further to the left?

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      Lots of names thrown about in this thread but what I'm wondering is do the democrats try to move back towards the center as they were 20 years ago or do they go even further to the left?
                      Great question -- it'll be fascinating to see. I'm sure Tim Kaine will want to run but that just seems like the wrong road to me.

Comment

The likely "best candidate" is someone not on the radar at this point................

Sheesh - this is silly. Upset that the person who has been proven to be THE WORST CANDIDATE for President, rather than waiting to see what happens over the next 6 months to a year to even have a REAL IDEA of where this is headed - you are already trying to determine the name of the next nominee...

I didnt vote for him - but at this point he is #MyPresident. He may even surprise some of you because lets be honest - he is not a true conservative or even republican..
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I don't really understand this question. Bernie Sanders was obviously further left than most candidates the Democrats have historically put out there, but Obama and Hillary Clinton were/are relatively centrist--hawks on foreign policy and the surveillance apparatus, fiscally conservative, promoting a health care plan that borrowed heavily from Romneycare. It's true that they are pro-choice, but so have been Democrats for decades. And they became pro-gay-marriage, which is differen than Democrats of two decades ago, but Obama and Clinton pretty much followed/trailed the attitudes of the country as they made that transition in their positions.

So I'm not sure if you're making a Bernie Sanders-wing assessment of the Democrats or asserting that the actual candidates that the Democrats have put forth (Gore, Kerry, Obama, Clinton) have been unusually liberal compared to Democratic Party history?
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            I don't really understand this question. Bernie Sanders was obviously further left than most candidates the Democrats have historically put out there, but Obama and Hillary Clinton were/are relatively centrist--hawks on foreign policy and the surveillance apparatus, fiscally conservative, promoting a health care plan that borrowed heavily from Romneycare. It's true that they are pro-choice, but so have been Democrats for decades. And they became pro-gay-marriage, which is differen than Democrats of two decades ago, but Obama and Clinton pretty much followed/trailed the attitudes of the country as they made that transition in their positions.

So I'm not sure if you're making a Bernie Sanders-wing assessment of the Democrats or asserting that the actual candidates that the Democrats have put forth (Gore, Kerry, Obama, Clinton) have been unusually liberal compared to Democratic Party history?
                            the democrats made a hard left turn in 2008. Maybe they did before that but I didnt see it. Obama 2008, 2012, and Clinton 2016 bare very little resemblance to Clinton 1996 and Gore 2000. I think its funny that you think Obama/Clinton governed/campaigned as fiscal convervatives, lol.

Sanders/Warren will push the party even further left and I'll have even less reason to consider voting D. What they could use is a Jim Webb type to remake the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              (Gore, Kerry, Obama, Clinton)
                              It's interesting to see the names lined up like that.

1) Uber-wealthy connected plutocrat - lost (to a complete boob)
                              2) Uber-wealthy connected plutocrat - lost (to a complete boob)
                              3) Guy from modest means who made his own way - two terms
                              4) Uber-wealthy connected plutocrat - lost (to a complete boob)

Over-simplification, obviously, but maybe one lesson is: pick more credible messengers for your "party of the little guy" message.
                              Last edited by senorsheep; 11-18-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

the democrats made a hard left turn in 2008. Maybe they did before that but I didnt see it.
                                On what issues?

Obama 2008, 2012, and Clinton 2016 bare very little resemblance to Clinton 1996 and Gore 2000. I think its funny that you think Obama/Clinton governed/campaigned as fiscal convervatives, lol.
                                They actually brought deficits under control, as opposed to Republicans who ballooned them. Cut taxes and balloon deficits does not equal fiscal conservatism.

Sanders/Warren will push the party even further left.
                                I have no disagreement with this statement, which is why I was trying to understand if you were talking about Obama and Hillary or Sanders and Warren.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X