2020 Election thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    But deficits are good, and needed for this country. Without a deficit, we couldn't possibly operate, and the whole process will just shut down! Besides, money grows on trees that the Treasury Department grows in the basement of all their mints.
    Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    What's that effect where irony cannot be distinguished from real positions by the context? There are actual economists that seriously claim exactly what you just said.

J
    Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Damn, I didn't know you were Paul Krugman!
    thanks for giving me a laugh this morning
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• 2020, hm. You guys raise the money necessary and I'll run. (You could do worse....)

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Damn, I didn't know you were Paul Krugman!
        I expect he will be changing his opinions completely for the next 4 years at least.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          What's that effect where irony cannot be distinguished from real positions by the context? There are actual economists that seriously claim exactly what you just said.

J
          Right down to money growing on trees?

I was regurgitating the most annoying parts of El Diablo's argument about why we shouldn't have a balanced budget. Ever.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            Right down to money growing on trees?

I was regurgitating the most annoying parts of El Diablo's argument about why we shouldn't have a balanced budget. Ever.
            Yeah but you didn't regurgitate the derision and smug superiority that were a regular part of his posts.

Comment

• What? Eld used derision and smug superiority?? Oh yeah - come to think about it I do recall some of that.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                Yeah but you didn't regurgitate the derision and smug superiority that were a regular part of his posts.
                is he on vacation?

edit: did he delete himself? His posts seem to all be gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  is he on vacation?

edit: did he delete himself? His posts seem to all be gone.
                  He quit the board to take a job in the Clinton administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                    He quit the board to take a job in the Clinton administration.
                    what really happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      what really happened?
                      Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      El D bailed at his request since he is now making a name for himself in another field. He wanted to start a new so he's lurking and may post from time to time under a nom de plume with less personal details
                      This--
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        This--
                        thanks.

Kind of reminds me of when the conservatives cleared out of here from 2004-2008. There used to be quite a few...

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          2020, hm. You guys raise the money necessary and I'll run. (You could do worse....)
                          So...exactly how much money do we need to raise?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Boards ebb and flow, but as in our general elections, we embrace what we most identify with, our national identity is our President. We now live in a post factual homeland. Echo chamber are lyrics, comforting us and replacing thought. Say Bush, think dullard. Obama = naive. Cheney = Darth Vader, puppetmaster. Hillary = Dishonest. Bill = slick. Shorthand skits for reality. Input/output is a completed loop circuit. My observation is critical thinking, and intellectual case building are the way of the Model T. Quaint, but outdated.

FB equals fake news but that gets literally thousands times more attention than CNN. Facts are dismissed as opinion, and opinion is heralded as being real. Govt leaders in civilization inevitably finds its level ground in its dense voter heartland, in its lowest common denominators. That health class that you learn we are what we eat, well as we feed on garbage in lieu of demanding proof, of truth, we find we are nothing but a shadow of what we once were.

So fun part, This gives me a clear vision of what we will in have 2020, M Cuban will be the counter to Trump. Mark is wealthier, more opinionated, more arrogant, very well known, and about 100 times smarter than Trump. Or else we will go pure populist, to the larger than life Dwayne the Rock. If we have enough disasters that can be linked to man caused pollution and meddling, say giant sinkholes that keep opening up from fracking, or enough floating garbage ringing our planet that our satellites go down and we lose our cable, then we can prop up or most brilliant and well known scientist, which would be Neil Degrasse Tyson. Wait, the power of the bible belt has flexed, so my guess, for 2020, D leading candidate will be whoever is the religious leader who can muster an enthralling speech so sweet to the ears that we all talk about them next morning over coffee.

Experience and decades of a resume in public service are now worthless. Innuendo and quips and a branded image carry the day. Facts, proof, truth, hope that syrup cleans off my shoes. Yuck.

Comment

• Good post.

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                              ... My observation is critical thinking, and intellectual case building are the way of the Model T. Quaint, but outdated.
                              Bang on. I fear that this will be the case for some time, until the pendulum eventually, inevitably, swings back ... but that's a long time away. In the meantime, enjoy the bread & circuses. Any big games this weekend?
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve
                                Beats me...that's you guy's department. Don't you have to have a certain amount of money to get on the ballot?
                                Yes, but I'm sure you need more than the minimum. It's pricey keeping staff paid and happy, especially when they're a lesbian horde.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X