No announcement yet.

The Republican National Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear what you're saying--I just think that Stein (and Johnson)might resonate more with folks if their voices were given an opportunity to be amplified. Maybe in just one of the debates.
    I think Stein's views are supported by more than .37% of the voting public. The support Sanders has received informs me of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      The problem is its not about how much they should receive - it appears more to be about how much can they afford (or their coalitions can afford). The Green party and Libertarian parties will never be able to compete on an "even" field of play just due to sheer economics. That said, I am sure that due to this it is very likely there is a large percentage of our population that thinks there are only 2 parties. Hell, we even call it a "two party system".

Gary Johnson "3 way" races is polling between 10% - 13% and is just starting to get more coverage because he might make it into the debates.

I cant quantify what they should get, but the commercials "paid for by the (insert name of campaigners) for (insert candidate)" are way more prevalent for the Dems and Reps because they raise more money and can pay for more spots. To date here in MN, I have not yet heard a "I'm Gary Johnson and I approve this message." So its not a matter of press coverage, its also commercial time and space.

Johnson/Weld definitely are getting their message out, but it certainly is not at the same pace mainstream media provides access to the R's or D's.
      bg, he wasn't talking about campaign ads (and neither was I). He was talking about press coverage. Press coverage can, in some cases, drive contributions which in turn pay for political advertising. Or, in the case of Trump, press coverage can substitute for political advertising.

So although people use the term "mainstream media" ad nauseam, we are talking about the free coverage that candidates receive from the press, meaning print, radio, and television news. Johnson will get a huge boost if he gets in the debates. But what of Stein? What should she reasonable expect, running at 4% with a bad track record.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        I hear what you're saying--I just think that Stein (and Johnson)might resonate more with folks if their voices were given an opportunity to be amplified. Maybe in just one of the debates.
        I think Stein's views are supported by more than .37% of the voting public. The support Sanders has received informs me of that.
        Yeah, but remember that Johnson ran last time, too, and got less than 1%. People get in that box and just don't want to vote for somebody they know has absolutely zero chance of winning. It sounds like a great idea until you have to pull the handle. I've been there. That's why fringe candidates (and yes, they are considered fringe candidates) always poll much higher than they actually do. They also have a tendency to do better on exit polls, as people don't want to admit they didn't stick to their guns. (Now, your Bernie fan would say that's a mathematical impossibility, but I wasn't a math major, so I couldn't tell you for sure.)

Comment

• I didn't pay much attention since I dislike Trump. That said, Trump's acceptance speech was a massive three run HR. I dislike the guy but he can sure talk from the stump. What kills me is that Hillary Clinton gave a positive review of the speech and didn't know it. She said it was dark and threatening, which was exactly what Trump was going for. Of course he also claims to have a map and a flashlight.

The best line I heard about the whole convention was from Nate Silver during one of his chats. He said Ted Cruz gave a speech about what he really believes, which was worth a lot.

All in all, it was a success. No small part of that is avoiding what the Democrats had happen.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I didn't pay much attention since I dislike Trump. That said, Trump's acceptance speech was a massive three run HR. I dislike the guy but he can sure talk from the stump. What kills me is that Hillary Clinton gave a positive review of the speech and didn't know it. She said it was dark and threatening, which was exactly what Trump was going for. Of course he also claims to have a map and a flashlight.

The best line I heard about the whole convention was from Nate Silver during one of his chats. He said Ted Cruz gave a speech about what he really believes, which was worth a lot.

All in all, it was a success. No small part of that is avoiding what the Democrats had happen.

J
            You say he can talk from the stump, but the acceptance speech certainly wasn't anything like his stump speech, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Sometimes he speaks with a prompter, sometimes without, and the two are worlds apart. Which one do you contend is better? Most people say he has been generally ineffective with a prompter, and that it stifled his personality. What do you say?

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              I didn't pay much attention since I dislike Trump. That said, Trump's acceptance speech was a massive three run HR. I dislike the guy but he can sure talk from the stump. What kills me is that Hillary Clinton gave a positive review of the speech and didn't know it. She said it was dark and threatening, which was exactly what Trump was going for. Of course he also claims to have a map and a flashlight.
              It may have been a good speech for Trump, with his limited speaking ability, but I didnt think it was all that great. I only saw bits and pieces though...
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• For those of you that are going to vote for Trump please read this. I get that some of you want to protect the Supreme Court but at what cost? Is this seriously the man you want in charge of your country?

I'll post a few highlights in case you don't want to click on the link. It's a list of all things he says he will do with links to back them up:

Trump's solution for high gas prices is to violate The Geneva Convention by invading several of America's allies in the Middle East and Africa unprovoked to forcibly seize the oil fields for himself.

When asked for clarification about the above mentioned plan to steal land from multiple nations on two different continents Trump responded with, “We’re not stealing anything. We’re taking.“
                Trump thinks lethal injection is “too comfortable” Wants to devise a more painful way to execute people.
                Trump openly calls for the U.S to commit war crimes and advocates for the murder of innocent women and children.

Trump doubles down after veterans speak out claiming U.S soldiers would not commit war crimes or torture children even if ordered to. Trump responds with, “They’re not going to refuse me. If I say do it, they’re going to do it.“
                North Korean Dictator Kim Jong-Un endorses Donald Trump.

Russian leader with history of human rights abuses Vladimir Putin endorses Trump.

K.K.K endorses Trump.

Convicted Neo-Nazi Terrorist Don Black endorses Trump.

Chinese Communist Party endorses Trump.

Serbian War Criminal Vojislav Seselj endorses Trump.

Greek Neo-Nazi leader Ilias Panagiotaros endorses Trump.
                Trump's son gives interview with Holocaust denying radio show host who wants to bring back slavery. Trump then gives the radio host press credentials and invites him to events.
                Law Scholars agree, in order to enact plans Trump would have to violate First Amendment, Fifth Amendment, Bill of Rights, 14th Amendment, due process, equal protection, and the doctrine of enumerated and limited executive powers.

The ACLU made a list of all of Trumps unconstitutional propositions. (It’s 28 pages long.)
                Holy crap. The Supreme Court would be the least of our problems if we let this man into the White House. He is the second coming of Hitler. But hey, protect that Supreme Court. We won't have a government if he's elected.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Spy novel stuff, russian government sponsored hackers felt the need to cherry pick then release an avalanche of emails to our public, at the worst time possible, and the most harmful material the hackers could find to poison the well is material is basically low level DNC trading non pc thoughts to each other in what they thought was private, and certainly not official positions on how to help the long standing D win. It is not even a blip, but that should be the investigation there, a foreign strong arm dictator in Putin has through back channel but traceable russian origin, tried to sway an american election so that their guy wins. No one is focusing on why Putin would love Trump in office, to the extent he is puppemastering our news cycle?

Trump has a public love affair with Putin, Trump has said he would not support our allies in Nato if he felt they were not contributing equally, music to Putins ears. Trump has praised how Putin handles reporters, and would welcome back waterboarding, and worse, to our suspected enemies and their families, as maybe another leader would. Block all muslims from entering the country, and disparage the religion, its only like 1.5 billion people, build a wall that can be seen from space to keep out the dark skinned people from down south out, no wall needed up north, they look like us. Call them criminals enough time and it starts to stick, call HRC crooked enough times and it does stick despite her being the most honest politician with best resume and a lifelong body of work as a D. Whatever, yeah, how about those emails, lets hold Bernie or Bust signs and boo HRC, that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Holy crap. The Supreme Court would be the least of our problems if we let this man into the White House. He is the second coming of Hitler. But hey, protect that Supreme Court. We won't have a government if he's elected.
                    I dont know if you noticed but we would still have two other branches of govt to check Trump if he's as bad as the extreme far left think he is. He'd probably lose the next election so its just 4 years.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Here - you want spy novel stuff - here it is

Most of this infomation is true but too farfetched - I think

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...really-a-thing

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        I dont know if you noticed but we would still have two other branches of govt to check Trump if he's as bad as the extreme far left think he is. He'd probably lose the next election so its just 4 years.
                        I am aware of this, he isn't but it doesn't matter, there won't be a country in 4 years if he wins. But seriously, he can do an enormous amount of damage in 4 years. The kind of damage that we as a country and planet might never recover from. He wants to drop a nuclear bomb on Europe. WTF!!! He wants to invade our allies and steal their land. WHAT. THE. FUCK!?!?!!?!?! Wake up and realize how dangerous than man is.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I dont know if you noticed but we would still have two other branches of govt to check Trump if he's as bad as the extreme far left think he is.
                          On domestic policy, yes. On foreign policy, that's dicier.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Did you miss this quote?

Law Scholars agree, in order to enact plans Trump would have to violate First Amendment, Fifth Amendment, Bill of Rights, 14th Amendment, due process, equal protection, and the doctrine of enumerated and limited executive powers.

The ACLU made a list of all of Trumps unconstitutional propositions. (It’s 28 pages long.)
                            He doesn't care about the other two branches. He doesn't care about the Constitution. He only cares about himself.

OK, I'm getting myself too angry. I said my piece. You can vote how you want but just please read everything in that link and ask yourself if that is the person you want in charge of our country. I don't need an answer.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              I am aware of this, he isn't but it doesn't matter, there won't be a country in 4 years if he wins. But seriously, he can do an enormous amount of damage in 4 years. The kind of damage that we as a country and planet might never recover from. He wants to drop a nuclear bomb on Europe. WTF!!! He wants to invade our allies and steal their land. WHAT. THE. FUCK!?!?!!?!?! Wake up and realize how dangerous than man is.
                              ok, lol. There's no way to respond to this.

Comment

• I'm sure he would nominate the best SC candidates, THE BEST
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X