Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Bowling Thread ---- its a new season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Still sucking...shot 550 something. We lost all 7 so now we are 0-14 for the trimester. I had 3 pocket 7-10 splits. So bad that the other team was cringing.
    Yeah that's some bad juju....never a "good" time to get a pocket 7-10!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Three pocket 7/10's --- OUCH! What was the 5 pin doing? Was it cutting in front of the 7 or was it going backwards? When I leave the pocket 7/10 its usually on the light pocket hit where the 5 goes in front of the 7 and the 3pin kicks the 6 around the 10.
      It took me so off guard that I really can't say for sure. The first two were as solid of a pocket hit that I can throw. I am guessing the 5 pin got pushed straight back. The third one was very solid but just slightly light by comparison to the other two. I have made many strikes with this pocket entry.

Comment

Potential offspot??
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Nothing like having problems carrying the pocket:

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Rolled a 662 last night. (210 - 227 - 225). Had 3 opens - 2 of them 10 pins (3 for 5). Played a bit different line than I have in the past, standing on the left side of the approach rolling the ball over 17 board and letting it get out to 10. Ball was facing up and carrying really well, except for the few 10 pins. Big thing for me - NO Splits!

I think I found the line I should have been playing since the start of the season.

Comment

191-220-225 = 636

Another simply ok night.

The good: I didn't have any opens other than 2 splits. Made all 9 10-pins I left. I made the 4-7-10 split, I can't remember the last time I made that.

The bad: Too many flat 10 pin leaves. These pretty much prevented a really big series. I think 8 of the 9 10-pins I left were of the flat variety.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                Rolled a 662 last night. (210 - 227 - 225). Had 3 opens - 2 of them 10 pins (3 for 5). Played a bit different line than I have in the past, standing on the left side of the approach rolling the ball over 17 board and letting it get out to 10. Ball was facing up and carrying really well, except for the few 10 pins. Big thing for me - NO Splits!

I think I found the line I should have been playing since the start of the season.
                Nice night!

Oil is such a big deal, do you find that your line/oil is consistent week to week?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  191-220-225 = 636

Another simply ok night.

The good: I didn't have any opens other than 2 splits. Made all 9 10-pins I left. I made the 4-7-10 split, I can't remember the last time I made that.

The bad: Too many flat 10 pin leaves. These pretty much prevented a really big series. I think 8 of the 9 10-pins I left were of the flat variety.
                  Yeah you good guys have high expectations. I would love to have this score this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Yeah you good guys have high expectations. I would love to have this score this week.

I am rarely satisfied with my score unless I bowl 700 ! I think it's the nature of most people who participate in sports to always think "what could have been".

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Nice night!

Oil is such a big deal, do you find that your line/oil is consistent week to week?
                      I think the shot at my house is fairly consistent across the lanes. That said, I decided to move inside this week because I have been very stubborn and playing a line that was likely not optimal. I have been playing further out, with less hand, but I was not consistent about it. Still avg 200 that way, but last week the shot never changed the entire night - and I knew that was probably where I should have been since the beginning of the year.

If the oil pattern dries up, being able to make adjustments either by changing the ball or amount of hand is going to be key for me the balance of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        I think the shot at my house is fairly consistent across the lanes. That said, I decided to move inside this week because I have been very stubborn and playing a line that was likely not optimal. I have been playing further out, with less hand, but I was not consistent about it. Still avg 200 that way, but last week the shot never changed the entire night - and I knew that was probably where I should have been since the beginning of the year.

If the oil pattern dries up, being able to make adjustments either by changing the ball or amount of hand is going to be key for me the balance of the year.
                        When you say "amount of hand" do you mean the amount of rotation/revs you put on the ball?

If you have to change do you prefer to move or change the amount of rotation on the ball? I would think most people prefer to move as then you can throw the same "ball". Changing the rotation, hand position etc. is definitely harder to be consistent with. I prefer to move.

Comment

• 530 last night. Did strike out in the 3rd game to win that game and total so made the night better. No 10 pins but I did leave four 6 pin or 6-10 and only got three. 2nd game was my low game and I got 8 spares and 1 strike but in the 10th I had my miss of the 6 pin - "another coat of paint" and I would have got it but a miss is a miss. Still inconsistent on my first ball but if I can continue to hit spares until that comes back I won't be too upset.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                            530 last night. Did strike out in the 3rd game to win that game and total so made the night better. No 10 pins but I did leave four 6 pin or 6-10 and only got three. 2nd game was my low game and I got 8 spares and 1 strike but in the 10th I had my miss of the 6 pin - "another coat of paint" and I would have got it but a miss is a miss. Still inconsistent on my first ball but if I can continue to hit spares until that comes back I won't be too upset.
                            Making spares is HUGE!! (stating the obvious) I pride myself on my spare shooting. My average shot up from the mid 190's to the 210's after I made a very conscious effort to improve my spare shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              When you say "amount of hand" do you mean the amount of rotation/revs you put on the ball?

If you have to change do you prefer to move or change the amount of rotation on the ball? I would think most people prefer to move as then you can throw the same "ball". Changing the rotation, hand position etc. is definitely harder to be consistent with. I prefer to move.
                              Amount of hand is yes the amount of rotation. I used to be a big cranker, but now my hand and wrist cant take the strain of putting lots of revs on the ball, so I have become more of a tweener. That said, I realized that with my Storm Crux I can play further inside put a few more revs on it and the ball will come back strong to the pocket. I had been just letting the ball do all the work which was not optimal.

I do think that if I play the inside line for the next few weeks, I should be able to score better. We shall see if I am right though.

Comment

• Bad night last night - 510. My first ball was all over the place so I had lots of weird spares to shoot and wasn't very good at getting them, kept leaving everything left due to bad mechanics. As soon as I figured I wasn't going to throw a good ball and moved my spot on the lane I would throw it correctly and leave the ball out to the right. One for two on 10 pins and was amazed I got one.

We had been going with me & the wife with 2 vacants but we got 2 new people last night. I figured we won the 1st two games and the 3rd would be close when the one guy who got 100-110 in the first two games and had 60 in the 5th of the final went on a roll and finished with 140. We lost the 1st game by seven and the 2nd game by two and wound up splitting. Everytime he got a mark I said "nice shot" but inside I was thinking "you need to miss so we win the first two games".

One question for you guys - When you practice before league do you have pins on the lanes or are the lanes just turned on? When I bowled in a mens league in Virginia the lanes came on but no pins, you just rolled the ball. We called this shadow bowling, don't know if that is a bowling term or just a Virginia term. I don't need pins to tell if my ball is looking good and with no pins I could throw a strike ball, 7 pin, 10 pin, strike ball on each lane. Here in UT we have the pins set up so it takes longer to get a practice frame in and I usually get 2 frames on one lane and 1 frame on the other. I would rather have no pins and get all my shots in instead of having pins up. I was curious if other places practiced with no pins or if that was just the lane I went to in Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                                X