Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Bowling Thread ---- its a new season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I never mind leaving a flat 10-pin. It's the "crush the pocket" ringing 10-pin that annoys me (and every other bowler).

It is cool to have a clean night, but I have had many of those, so the thrill of that it not what it used to be... ( I hope that doesn't sound to dick-ish )
    DICK!

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Got a 575 last night. Kind of wondering what technological improvement they have made to keep averages up. Might be better oil on the lanes. I didn't have to move my line all night. I used to finish 4 or 5 boards away from where I started as the lane dried out and the trick was figuring out when you had to adjust and when you just had a couple of bad rolls in a row.

Comment

Dslaw -
        What kind of ball are you rolling?

There have been all sorts of tech changes to the game, primarily as it pertains to the ball and its hooking potential. The big change as it relates to lanes is going from wood to synthetic. It is likely that the house shot has more oil on it than 10 years ago, but that is due to the advances made in ball technology. More oil, because the resin balls predominately used now soak up the oil and hook more, so the shot provides the ball a way to get down the lane without hooking to soon.

If your using a ball that is 10 years old, the amount of oil may actually allow you to play your line, but I am guessing you probably had some shots just not make it back to the pocket, or didnt seem to carry real well.

Great night for not bowling much in 10 years.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Using my old Ebonite Trimax for my first shot and my older Rhino for spares. Main problem was my form. Laying the ball down close to the middle too much instead of getting it out to 2nd arrow where it should be going.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Dslaw -
            What kind of ball are you rolling?
            I can't speak for dslaw, but when I bowl I use a round ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I can't speak for dslaw, but when I bowl I use a round ball.
              Does it break into many pieces like Fred Flinstone's? Or does is break in half to hit the 7-10 split?
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                Does it break into many pieces like Fred Flinstone's? Or does is break in half to hit the 7-10 split?
                Both. It's name is Schrödinger.

Comment

190-268-203 = 661

Average at 209.

That 268 had two 7-pins back to back in the 6th and 7th frames. One was your typical 7 pin leave when the 5-pin slides over but doesn't take it out. The other was a high flush 7-pin that makes you wonder WTF???.

The 1st and 3rd games were solid, but too many 4-pins as I was coming up a tad high. A few 10-pins thrown in and a solid 8-pin too.

Three opens: Pocket 7-10, missed 7 pin as I just threw a bad ball, and 6-7 split.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I forgot to post I had a 600 even last Thursday. Missed a 10 pin, and had a couple splits. We had an interesting evening losing the first game by 45 to a team we are giving 200 pins. Then we won game 2 by 48 pins. So we are up 3 pins for total going into the last game. At the 5th frame we are down 150 pins. Get to the 10 down 100 pins. Our leadoff strike spares. I strike strike 9. Three bowler strike strike 8. Four and Five strike out and we win the last game by one pin - taking total by 4.

Weird night.

Comment

Wonderful 2nd week - 435. Messed up my wrist over the weekend and tried to bowl anyway (emphasis on tried). I could throw my first ball ok but for spares I throw the ball faster and I couldn't do that at all. Wound up with 4 spares on the night which wouldn't be too bad if I had 15-20 strikes but I had 5 or 6 strikes in the first 25 frames and then got 4 more in the last 5 frames. I was trailing the wife late in both the 2nd & 3rd games which is not good when my average is 60 pins higher. 0 for the year on converting that %#&$* 10 pin. It is nice getting out of the house but it sure is a lot more fun when you bowl well.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                        Wonderful 2nd week - 435. Messed up my wrist over the weekend and tried to bowl anyway (emphasis on tried). I could throw my first ball ok but for spares I throw the ball faster and I couldn't do that at all. Wound up with 4 spares on the night which wouldn't be too bad if I had 15-20 strikes but I had 5 or 6 strikes in the first 25 frames and then got 4 more in the last 5 frames. I was trailing the wife late in both the 2nd & 3rd games which is not good when my average is 60 pins higher. 0 for the year on converting that %#&$* 10 pin. It is nice getting out of the house but it sure is a lot more fun when you bowl well.
                        We all have bad weeks, but I will definitely concur that it is much more fun when one bowls well!!

How do you miss the 10-pin..more on the alley or in the channel?
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          We all have bad weeks, but I will definitely concur that it is much more fun when one bowls well!!

How do you miss the 10-pin..more on the alley or in the channel?
                          Usually drop it in the gutter. If I roll it the way I want it will get to the edge of the lane 3/4 of the way down and then straighten out. If I miss on the alley I usually wind up in the middle of the lane, not even close to the 10.

Comment

Usually drop it in the gutter. If I roll it the way I want it will get to the edge of the lane 3/4 of the way down and then straighten out. If I miss on the alley I usually wind up in the middle of the lane, not even close to the 10.
                            Maybe move further right when going for it??

Comment

Get a plastic ball to cut down on any hook and throw a more direct line at it. Hooking into a 10 pin as a right hander is very difficult because you are trying to flatten the ball out. There are no boards outside the 10 to use to hook into it. Just throw it hard and straight, or even with a bit of back up.

See how Norm Duke does it.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                                Get a plastic ball to cut down on any hook and throw a more direct line at it. Hooking into a 10 pin as a right hander is very difficult because you are trying to flatten the ball out. There are no boards outside the 10 to use to hook into it. Just throw it hard and straight, or even with a bit of back up.

See how Norm Duke does it.

Switching balls is the sissy way of doing it Joking...sort of... I am proud of the fact that I can use just one ball for every shot. But I'm not playing for my livelihood as Norm Duke is!

Of course using the equipment to make your game better is the smart thing to do....

Comment

Working...
                                X