No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a student who is failing my class. Her 6th grade brother was wearing a Hangover t-shirt last week. Fine parenting job going on there.

I saw Midnight in Paris over the weekend. Pretty good movie, not to long but tasty.

Funny that Owen Wilson now played the part of Woody Allen.

Comment

Saw a funny internet exchange today.

An article on Steve Martin's purchase of a fake Heinrich Campendonk painting for $850K was met with a string of (largely unfair but nonetheless humorous) comments about him deserving it for creating "The Pink Panther, Cheaper by the Dozen, Sgt. Bilko, Bringing Down the House, Father of the Bride" etc etc.

One brave soul stood out in defence of poor Steve, and declared that "He's made some excellent films and some poor ones but who can honestly say all their films are great?"

The succinct reply made me laugh:

"John Cazale's complete filmography:

Godfather I
      The Conversation
      Godfather II
      Dog Day Afternoon
      The Deer Hunter"
      Last edited by johnnya24; 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

Godfather I
        The Conversation
        Godfather II
        Dog Day Afternoon
        The Deer Hunter"
        There was an HBO special last year on Cazale. You should check it out if given the chance.

Comment

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Horror/comedy, and I thought it worked pretty well. The trailers are BRUTAL for revealing spoilers, so I'll try and stay relatively spoiler-free. Two backwoods hicks meet and scare a group of teens at a truckstop. Later, the teens believe that the hicks have kidnapped one of the hot girls from their group, and launch an attack. Hilarity ensues.

The Resident - This isn't a recommendation, but a warning. Do not watch this. Ever. It's a waste of time, incredibly predictable, and the only real moment of tension is just kind of sick and unpleasant. Not an enjoyable film.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            The Resident - This isn't a recommendation, but a warning. Do not watch this. Ever. It's a waste of time, incredibly predictable, and the only real moment of tension is just kind of sick and unpleasant. Not an enjoyable film.
            Following on the same theme ... avoid Unknown ... horrendous beyond all words. I hope Liam Neeson got a good pay day for this complete and utter crap.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              There was an HBO special last year on Cazale. You should check it out if given the chance.
              I will definitely see if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                I will definitely see if I can find it.

Wiki link, JA
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Going to watch some old classics over the weekend that I have no recollection of ever seeing ... Double Indemnity and All About Eve are lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                    Found this as well.

EDIT: Excellent and interesting little documentary. Had no idea that he and Meryl Steep were an item.
                    Last edited by johnnya24; 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Disgraced financial reporter Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) finds a chance to redeem his honor after being hired by wealthy Swedish industrialist Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) to solve the 40-year-old murder of Vanger's niece, Harriet. Vanger believes that Harriet was killed by a member of his own family. Eventually joining Blomkvist on his dangerous quest for the truth is Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), an unusual but ingenious investigator whose fragile trust is not easily won.

The Swedish remake is actually very good, and well worth seeing for those not averse to subtitles ... good enough not to warrant a Hollywood version IMO ... but with David Fincher at the helm, at least it's going to be a good remake.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Going to watch some old classics over the weekend that I have no recollection of ever seeing ... Double Indemnity and All About Eve are lined up.
                        Two of the greatest movies ever made...
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Watched the 1933 version of King Kong last night. Wanted my 6 year old daughter to see it. She loved it!

A bit hokey, but man i really enjoy watching it.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Saw a funny internet exchange today.

An article on Steve Martin's purchase of a fake Heinrich Campendonk painting for $850K was met with a string of (largely unfair but nonetheless humorous) comments about him deserving it for creating "The Pink Panther, Cheaper by the Dozen, Sgt. Bilko, Bringing Down the House, Father of the Bride" etc etc.

One brave soul stood out in defence of poor Steve, and declared that "He's made some excellent films and some poor ones but who can honestly say all their films are great?"

The succinct reply made me laugh:

Godfather I
                            The Conversation
                            Godfather II
                            Dog Day Afternoon
                            The Deer Hunter"
                            Gotta be the only person in Hollywood history that got 5 stars on allmovie.com for every movie he was involved in.

Comment

The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Disgraced financial reporter Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) finds a chance to redeem his honor after being hired by wealthy Swedish industrialist Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) to solve the 40-year-old murder of Vanger's niece, Harriet. Vanger believes that Harriet was killed by a member of his own family. Eventually joining Blomkvist on his dangerous quest for the truth is Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), an unusual but ingenious investigator whose fragile trust is not easily won.

The Swedish remake is actually very good, and well worth seeing for those not averse to subtitles ... good enough not to warrant a Hollywood version IMO ... but with David Fincher at the helm, at least it's going to be a good remake.
                              I beg to differ, I found the Norge version a pale version of the book, which I enjoyed very much. Even that trailer showed me things that were much more impactful from the book than I saw in the original...
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I beg to differ, I found the Norge version a pale version of the book, which I enjoyed very much. Even that trailer showed me things that were much more impactful from the book than I saw in the original...
                                I enjoyed both. I didn't ever have the impression of the book being fast paced when I read it ... probably because I completed it over a period of time. Impactful ... definitely, but I was actually happy with the slower pace of the Swedish version. It will be interesting to see what the Fincher version leaves out, because there were certain elements that had to be omitted from the Swedish remake that I felt were important to the plot ... and consider that it was nearly 2 hours long.

Casting looks good ... Bond playing Blomquist and I noticed Stellan Skarsgård is also in there (one of my favorite actors).

Comment

Working...
                                X